Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 02:17 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,707 times

Advertisements

How did you or other people you know decide whether to have children or not? I understand some people who desire it their whole lives--or really can't wait to be a family with children--but are there any of you "on the fence" people out there that decided to do it--and why?

I am 31 and my husband is 39--we have been married 8 years--we were both on the 'no' side of the fence but have started thinking a little bit about it--at least the possibility of it. I still don't feel any desire in my heart for it--but I realize that I need to be sure my 98% no children is 100% in the next few years--if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 02:22 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
I think its a discussion that needs to have a lot of thought put into it and be talked about a few times because people can change their minds.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:36 PM

421 posts, read 556,335 times
I know several people who decided with one word: "oops"

Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM

I know someone who did about a year of therapy in order to decide. She was in your place, really didn't want them. But didn't want to regret her decision. She did decide to have a baby and she seems glad about it. She isn't the natural "mom type" and is very realistic about how hard mommahood is.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,707 times
that is interesting eyeye
It's not a decision to take lightly--but when you don't really have any pros or cons to either or it balances out (as many pros or cons) and have no strong feelings one way or the other it becomes harder.

For instance if I found out I couldn't have children--I wouldn't shed any tears--but at the same time I don't want to be 40 and thinking "crap I really missed out on something I now wish I would have done"

Old 08-12-2014, 03:09 PM

That was her. She ended up having two. Its easy to tell she is glad to be a mom, but she isn't someone who pretends its all sunshine and roses.

I wanted to be a mom since I was 3 years old. I have two step kids and 2 adopted kids. Also had a goos amount foster kids. I decided I was done but I often have this strong drive to adopt again. My husband is a big part in that not happening. He is done, done.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
I have Aunts that have had children in their 50s...not that I would advise to start a family that late...but it can be done. There are a ton of other things to consider than just "do I have a child" of course. There is the financial obligations, saving for college, wedding, etc. Then there is the change in your lifestyle...either good or bad. My wife and I were of the "oops" variety when our son came along but we wouldn't have our lives any other way.

When you get married...you are partnering with another person to build a life together. When you have kids...they always come first and you have a part of your heart and soul out there in the world. No one can make this decision for you but if you have the slightest of selfish tendencies...don't have kids. My Sister and Brother-in-Law made that decision when they were first married and are more than content to be the "Cool" Aunt and Uncle that our kids can hang out with.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:19 PM

I think being a parent and being a little selfish is the best balance. Otherwise you lose yourself in parenthood.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
I think being a parent and being a little selfish is the best balance. Otherwise you lose yourself in parenthood.
Totally agree.

And personally, I say if you're on the no side, stay on the no side. This world is already overpopulated. Get a dog.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times
If you think you're going to regret not having children one day, then you probably are just not ready at 31.

If you think that if you found out that you cannot get pregnant, don't assume that you won't care. Pregnancy and motherhood are not synonymous. Yes, pregnancy can lead to motherhood, but it can also not lead to motherhood.

Most people who truly don't want kids don't worry about having any regrets. It seems to me that you're just unsure.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-12-2014 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: fixed word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting