Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Mom calls it an overreaction, notes daughter didn’t eat chocolate treat.

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. - A school district suspended a 12-year-old for having a piece of chocolate candy filled with a half-ounce of booze.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22364122/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:56 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,080 times
It's only an overreaction if it's your kid giving out the vodka. To the principal, teachers, and school board it's an opportunity to end up fired and/or sued by the parent of the kid who receives the vodka. Suspension is a pretty standard punishment for this infraction.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:42 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
1/2 oz is a half-shot, right? One shot gives me a buzz and I have more tolerance- and probably much more weight than the average 12 year old.

I think suspension is appropriate.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
[quote=pirate girl;2316815]1/2 oz is a half-shot, right? One shot gives me a buzz and I have more tolerance- and probably much more weight than the average 12 year old.

Quote:
I think suspension is appropriate.
Me too. That might teach her a lesson not to do that again.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
No one has mentioned the student GIVING the candy. Should this youngster also be punished for bringing the candy onto school property? Did the young girl know she was being given a piece of "laced" candy? They did find the piece of candy, in tact and unwrapped.

I too believe that school's need to enforce policies that ensure the safety of children, but in this case I feel either the whole story was not put forth in the article, or the adults are not looking at the big picture.
Given the girl's past discipline history, this could have been handled differently.
Let's not lock them up and throw away the key without getting all of the facts first.

Second paragraph:
The unidentified seventh-grader was sent home from Alta Loma Junior High School three days before the winter break after a friend gave her a vodka-filled, foil-wrapped candy in the hall on her way to class Wednesday, her mother told the Ontario Daily Bulletin.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
She did absolutely nothing wrong- besides maybe accepting the candy. But who is to say that she knew what was in it? If my friends were passing out candies, I'd sure take one! Even if she knew what was in it, she didn't eat it. Maybe that could be ground for ISS (since she didn't dispose of it), but there is no indication in the article that she knew exactly what she was eating.

And also, what happened to the girl passing out the candy? What about the parents of the other girl?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readbtwnlines View Post
No one has mentioned the student GIVING the candy. Should this youngster also be punished for bringing the candy onto school property? Did the young girl know she was being given a piece of "laced" candy? They did find the piece of candy, in tact and unwrapped.

I too believe that school's need to enforce policies that ensure the safety of children, but in this case I feel either the whole story was not put forth in the article, or the adults are not looking at the big picture.
Given the girl's past discipline history, this could have been handled differently.
Let's not lock them up and throw away the key without getting all of the facts first.

Second paragraph:
The unidentified seventh-grader was sent home from Alta Loma Junior High School three days before the winter break after a friend gave her a vodka-filled, foil-wrapped candy in the hall on her way to class Wednesday, her mother told the Ontario Daily Bulletin.
Over-reaction. For sure.

Maybe she got suspended because she wouldn't rat out who gave it to her?
Only reason I can see them giving this severe punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting