Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:43 AM

480 posts, read 665,729 times

Advertisements

What kinds of things might you purchase if money wasn't as much of a concern as it is today?

Please be reasonable - I'm looking like things like send them to science camp, or buy them a car (if they are teenagers), or examples of toys / collections that you think they'd benefit from, or tutoring or the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:04 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,360,552 times
I would do weekly tutoring (though if my child struggles now, I'd do the same)
I would help them with a car, I still know you have to teach responsibility, so I wouldn't take that value away
I would buy a horse/pony for my child- I am an avid equestrian and the lessons i've learned over the years during horse care and management has been invaluable
Other things they asked for if it provides value (sleep away camps), expensive extra curricular activities, etc.

ETA:
Travel- to lots of places to teach how other people in the world live

Old 08-14-2014, 11:05 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,126,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
What kinds of things might you purchase if money wasn't as much of a concern as it is today?

Please be reasonable - I'm looking like things like send them to science camp, or buy them a car (if they are teenagers), or examples of toys / collections that you think they'd benefit from, or tutoring or the like.
I dunno. I do this stuff already.

I only buy them stuff they need or that they've expressed a true interest in.

Examples:

Bought my eldest a car when he was 17.

My middle kid takes private art lessons, but only because he has stuck with it and wants to go to art school.

My eldest wanted to go to Camp Invention one year and he talked about it for over a month, so he went.

My daughter always gets my handed down iPads because she has no real interest in a computer.

Both my boys have computers. Some they bought with their own money, others we paid for.

All 3 of them have iPhones, my eldest bought his first one in 2007 on launch day, along with me. The others have been gifts. My younger two always had handed down ones until last year when I upgraded everyone.

We took our daughter to California with us this summer because the time before when we went, she asked if she could go, so we figured she had an interest. The boys did not want to come.

I have never paid tutors, but I used to be a teacher and if I cannot help them, I guess I'd hire one.

My kids don't get tons of toys and aren't being rushed from one activity to another. I have never believed in that. We also don't have cable TV.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,042,899 times
Safe trips to undeveloped areas in the world to help them develop a charitable heart.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Safe trips to undeveloped areas in the world to help them develop a charitable heart.
What about mission trips? They usually fundraise the expenses. I know a few teenagers who have done this. There are even family mission trips.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:50 AM

22,345 posts, read 47,322,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post

Meh... the stuff mentioned, we did.

If money was not a concern, I would have my husband stay at home and enjoy the kids! They would value spending time with him over anything else.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,764,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

If money was not a concern, I would have my husband stay at home and enjoy the kids! They would value spending time with him over anything else.
That's a good one. I pick it too. We did everything mentioned, but it would have been best if my husband didn't have a job that required so much travel. The kids missed having him around.

The only other thing would have been buying a third home at a ski resort. (We already have a second home in the mountains but not near a ski resort.) Since my husband and I don't ski, it would have been for the kid's benefit. I kick myself for not doing it. I had considered it. They're not very expensive. It just seemed extravagant at the time. Looking back, it would have been a great investment in many ways.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,524,996 times
Travel. Travel. Travel.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,821,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Travel. Travel. Travel.
That's what I was going to say!

My kids are older now (ages 9-17) and honestly, I wish I had bought them less STUFF. I feel like being surrounded by STUFF made them less appreciative of STUFF.

If i had it to do all over, I would have bought them less STUFF. We did travel a lot, so no regrets there.

If money wasn't an issue I'd have each kids' college fund done, and maybe a little extra set aside to give them a good start in life.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,126,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

Yeah... that's a really good one.

I think I'd have us both stay home with the kids, teach them ourselves, and travel around the world to let them learn from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting