Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 06:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

But a half-way decent parent adjusts their wants to where it doesn't lower the child's standard of living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If a parent pursues any WANT they are lowing their child's standard of living...unless we're talking about the top 2-3% of income earners.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:58 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Absolutely, but your idea of enjoyment changes drastically when kids are in the picture. Date nights, day trips, or even just running errands solo come to recharge you the same way a 7- day cruise once did. For example, my husband I started a first-day-of-school tradition a couple of years back: since my classes start up the day after our kids' do, he takes the day off and we hop the train in NYC and make a day of it. We met up with our friends for lunch, wander around, or even catch a matinee if money allows, then get back in time to meet the school bus. Not quite as exhilarating as a child-free couple's life, but we enjoy it.
Would you fault the working class parents taking a ~$2500 cruise for 5 days? What about the hard working dad that buys a $1500 power tool to work on his hit rod?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
But a half-way decent parent adjusts their wants to where it doesn't lower the child's standard of living.
That's how I see it. If I can't swing the music camp and the week-long cruise, then maybe I can do the kids' music camp and a less extravagant but equally restorative trip for myself locally. That's typically how it works around here anyway.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's how I see it. If I can't swing the music camp and the week-long cruise, then maybe I can do the kids' music camp and a less extravagant but equally restorative trip for myself locally. That's typically how it works around here anyway.
But couldn't you cut out your trip all together and send your child to a better music camp or perhaps buy some private lessons with the best teacher in your town?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Would you fault the working class parents taking a ~$2500 cruise for 5 days? What about the hard working dad that buys a $1500 power tool to work on his hit rod?
Depends. Do they do it every year or once in a lifetime? Do they have an emergency fund or do they live paycheck to paycheck? Did they pay for their kid's braces or make him go without?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
If a parent pursues any WANT they are lowing their child's standard of living...unless we're talking about the top 2-3% of income earners.
Nonsense. If a parent is living in the middle-middle class, and all that normally means, by giving up their "enjoyments" they would not magically move to the upper middle class. But what you are suggesting is parents raise children as lower middle class, so the parents can enjoy the trappings of an upper middle class lifestyle.

Go ahead, please explain how the hubby and I spending $200 a year on surfing lowered anyone's standard of living? Or how his xbox, and gamefly membership stopped my daughter from participating in our upper middle class lifestyle? Or date night? Go ahead add it all up, it is not going to move anyone into a different class. But given the expense of raising a child (some $250K for the AVERAGE american over 18 years) raising a child in the lower middle class can certainly purchase the luxuries of the upper. Which is what you are advocating anyway.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Depends. Do they do it every year or once in a lifetime? Do they have an emergency fund or do they live paycheck to paycheck? Did they pay for their kid's braces or make him go without?
They do it every year. Small emergency fund. They're somewhat paycheck to paycheck - typical working class folks. Child's healthcare is taken care of.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
But couldn't you cut out your trip all together and send your child to a better music camp or perhaps buy some private lessons with the best teacher in your town?
Nice try but that does not change the lifestyle of the child. Music camp doesn't suddenly take a child from lower middle class to middle middle class.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
I don't understand the argument here. This is silly. You don't need to know the details of my family's choices.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Nonsense. If a parent is living in the middle-middle class, and all that normally means, by giving up their "enjoyments" they would not magically move to the upper middle class. But what you are suggesting is parents raise children as lower middle class, so the parents can enjoy the trappings of an upper middle class lifestyle.
They may not move up a class, but a few thousand dollars could certainly go toward the child in some way. Right? Perhaps better clothing, better food, better childcare, tutors, increasing the college fund, etc, etc.

Quote:
Go ahead, please explain how the hubby and I spending $200 a year on surfing lowered anyone's standard of living? Or how his xbox, and gamefly membership stopped my daughter from participating in our upper middle class lifestyle? Or date night? Go ahead add it all up, it is not going to move anyone into a different class. But given the expense of raising a child (some $250K for the AVERAGE american over 18 years) raising a child in the lower middle class can certainly purchase the luxuries of the upper. Which is what you are advocating anyway.
We aren't talking about enough money to move into another social class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting