Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 04:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
What are they looking for that they aren't finding? Are they really not finding anything that is acceptable or are they being too picky?
My bet is picky since most 12 year old girls are picky about clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 04:36 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm sure you could have found a non-embellished long sleeved shirts and jackets at Old Navy and Gap.

Yep, I just checked their websites.
I was going to say the same thing, just hit Old Navy recently and they had everything OP was looking for. Including plain hoodies.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:37 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We went to Gap and pretty much struck out there. These stores seem to cater to younger kids or women's. They really didn't have anything in 12-13. but i forgot about Old Navy. i hope they still have the kinds of plain clothes I used to find there for my grown daughter. I'll find one.

how weird that I got three daughters who have no interest in jewelry, sparkly things and "fashion" when I have enough jewelry to open my own jewelry store and scarves and other fun accessories. My "style" has never been flashy though so maybe these girls will eventually like something a bit less plain. but I respect their choices and now in middle school they must feel entirely comfortable in their clothes.

We walked right by Aeropostale and American Eagle cause we were all getting tired and hungry. Maybe that will be another trip. Oh joy unbounded.
American Eagle is another decent place for plain jeans... my one DD buys all her jeans from there. Likes the fit.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I had to stay home today but DH knows what they were looking for. He said anything long sleeved was "too thin" whatever that means. They are all set with jeans and one has a hoodie she lives but it has SHINE in rhinestones and a bunch of other nonsense glittered all over it but she was desperate for a knit hoodie jacket. Also she isn't as picky. She wanted to buy stuff without even trying it on. other girl is getting to that ultra picky stage about clothes. She likes her pants skin tight which means they don't fit in the waste. if there is 1/10 inch of space between her skin and fabric she complains it is baggy. I'm not kidding. later in the year she will be so desperate she might like what she sees in Old Navy or Lands End. I guess I'll just have to wait her out.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:09 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Crewcuts by JCrew?

Old 08-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I had to stay home today but DH knows what they were looking for. He said anything long sleeved was "too thin" whatever that means.
Long sleeved t-shirts are on the website. The lightweight ones are great for layering. This is the best time of year for lightweight layers because they can be taken off or put on as needed throughout the day. Was he looking for heavy sweatshirts? The sporting goods stores would be the place to go for those.

Quote:
...but she was desperate for a knit hoodie jacket.
Is there a specific knit material she wants? The store does have a lightweight knit hoodie on the website:

Oldnavy.com | Old Navy

Old 08-16-2014, 05:44 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,941 times
My family was the land of hand-me-downs. Stuff got passed down from aunts and uncles to cousins and big brothers and finally to me. It was pretty damned worn down by the time I was finished with it.

Now it's a matter of how fat you are, ha ha ha. You got a pair of pants that is too tight or too wide... it moves around the family...

Old 08-16-2014, 05:47 PM

Here's a fleece hoodie at Dicks: The North Face Girls' Glacier Full Zip Fleece Hoodie - Dick's Sporting Goods

I know you can't shop online but you can look online to see what might be in a store.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
I had to stay home today but DH knows what they were looking for. He said anything long sleeved was "too thin" whatever that means. They are all set with jeans and one has a hoodie she lives but it has SHINE in rhinestones and a bunch of other nonsense glittered all over it but she was desperate for a knit hoodie jacket. Also she isn't as picky. She wanted to buy stuff without even trying it on. other girl is getting to that ultra picky stage about clothes. She likes her pants skin tight which means they don't fit in the waste. if there is 1/10 inch of space between her skin and fabric she complains it is baggy. I'm not kidding. later in the year she will be so desperate she might like what she sees in Old Navy or Lands End. I guess I'll just have to wait her out.
For your picky daughter, I think you should try American Eagle. My 15-year-old is the same way about her jeans we get all of them there. In fact, she complained that the skinny jeans were too baggy and bought all jeggings this year. Sigh. I know fashions will change back to something looser fitting, but when? (On that note, higher wasted jeans are coming back. Hopefully it will be the end of seeing strangers' buttcracks when they bend over.)

What about Target or Academy for a plain hoodie?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. They went back to old navy but the hoodie pictured was gone in her size. We might try online shopping at a few places other than Lands End. I prefer online as long as things can be returned. But they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting