Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 08:16 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
People are commenting because your older daughter (the big sister) should be saying, "I love you, Baby Sister" not "I love you, Big sister".

Just like you tell your husband, "I love you, Hubby" not "I love you, Wife".
Who knows what's going on in that little brain. Maybe she is pretending the little one is saying it. Maybe she is saying it to herself. 3 year olds think in different ways than we do.

One random comment does not mean she is developmentally delayed. Otherwise half my Pkwould have qualified for random weird sayings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:26 PM

300 posts, read 438,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Who knows what's going on in that little brain. Maybe she is pretending the little one is saying it. Maybe she is saying it to herself. 3 year olds think in different ways than we do.

One random comment does not mean she is developmentally delayed. Otherwise half my Pkwould have qualified for random weird sayings.
Correct. The OP cited the quote as example of her older daughter's hot / cold attitude towards her younger sibling. Shoe me a three year old who's not hot/ cold toward a younger sib and i'll you a kid with a develpmental delay...

Old 08-16-2014, 08:34 PM

634 posts, read 708,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post

So, my husband and I had originally not planned on sending her to preschool at 3, considering I went to school to teach and I'm home with her. We were going to wait until she was 4 to go to a free universal pre-k that is offered in my state. She has a speech delay, talks up a storm, but is very unclear. Except I understand her perfectly bc I'm with always with her. She started getting speech through our state preschool system in April. We don't have to pay for this which is a lifesaver since our insurance doesn't cover speech services and we can't afford $100 a week out of pocket. Her therapist, who I love and DD has become very attached to (and she can get shy and take a while to warm up to some people), suggested that if we could, sending her to preschool may help her with her speech. That is being around kids on a routine basis. So, I talked to DH about it, we found the cheapest, closest pre-school we could, and enrolled her in a 2 day a week 2 1/2 hour program. We go to story times since she was a baby, the park, so I try to get her around other kids. But, she doesn't have friends her age, which I sort of feel bad about, since thanks to FB it's all about "playdates" these days, and we don't have friends with kids her age.
Just wondering, have you ever tried to find a Playgroup on meetup.com? The meetup.com signup is free and most playgroups have an annual maintence due of about $10-$20 per year. The groups are hit or miss but when they are a hit, it really helps in the socialization area for both and you. I have lived in 4 different cities in the past 6 years and I joined a playgroup in each one. Only in one city did I not meet a great bunch of very supportive women.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
In many districts in Texas this is the case if the delay is severe enough.

I would drop the job, drop dance, drop the preschool, and keep the speech therapy. you are your child's best teacher. Trust yourself. The other children may have speech issues too, and I have never seen a speech issue resolve itself from children spending time with each other.

Put her in time out if she is being ugly to her sister. Schedule time away from her sister to be just Mommy and Me time.

Analyze her speech testing. She must have a plan set in place already, and then focus on those issues. Model good speech and hold her accountable. Do it in 10-15 minute chunks 1-2 times a day. Have your husband do it when he can too.

I disagree. 5 hours of pre-school and 1 hour of dance per week (more or less) is spot on for a three year old.

From a speech standpoint --The girl needs exposure to develpmtally appropriate settings ESPECIALLY if she has artic / or expressive lang delays. She needs to "test drive" her skills with peers and non-family adults. She needs to develop compensation stragies through parallel play, receive posive and negative reinforcement. Keeping her isolated will only amplify the situation.

From an overall development standpoint -- pre-school is good for kids. Lots of studies on this. Dance (challenging gross motor movements) learning dance routines (sequencing and memorization) also great for three year olds. And it's fun. Kids should have fun and be happy.

The kid has a speech issue. Why can't she do normal three year old stuff? I don't see the down side.

I do agree with having measurable speech plan in place and incorporating "lessons: into the routine. However it think the mom/dad job is to make the lesson more organic. 15 minutes x times per day doesn't fit with natural flow of family life...

Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Just wondering, have you ever tried to find a Playgroup on meetup.com? The meetup.com signup is free and most playgroups have an annual maintence due of about $10-$20 per year. The groups are hit or miss but when they are a hit, it really helps in the socialization area for both and you. I have lived in 4 different cities in the past 6 years and I joined a playgroup in each one. Only in one city did I not meet a great bunch of very supportive women.
Good advise. i would have lost my mind with out play group!!!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
I disagree. 5 hours of pre-school and 1 hour of dance per week (more or less) is spot on for a three year old.

From a speech standpoint --The girl needs exposure to develpmtally appropriate settings ESPECIALLY if she has artic / or expressive lang delays. She needs to "test drive" her skills with peers and non-family adults. She needs to develop compensation stragies through parallel play, receive posive and negative reinforcement. Keeping her isolated will only amplify the situation.

From an overall development standpoint -- pre-school is good for kids. Lots of studies on this. Dance (challenging gross motor movements) learning dance routines (sequencing and memorization) also great for three year olds. And it's fun. Kids should have fun and be happy.

The kid has a speech issue. Why can't she do normal three year old stuff? I don't see the down side.

I do agree with having measurable speech plan in place and incorporating "lessons: into the routine. However it think the mom/dad job is to make the lesson more organic. 15 minutes x times per day doesn't fit with natural flow of family life...
They can't afford it. That's the bottom line. In a perfect world, sure.

I have taught many children with varying delays in speech. dance and a few hours in school will not help that enough to be hurting financially.

I am a certified and experienced PPCD-2 nd grade teacher.

OP- your speech therapist can help guide you in developing games and lessons to do with your daughter.

I teamed up with many parents and worked on speech issues for fifteen minutes during school and they did the same at home. It really progresses quickly that way. Lots of times it's fun.

A day care type situation will not be able to do that. I would just have play dates.

Last edited by Meyerland; 08-16-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
They can't afford it. That's the bottom line. In a perfect world, sure.

I have taught many children with varying delays in speech. dance and a few hours in school will not help that enough to be hurting financially.

I am a certified and experienced PPCD-2 nd grade teacher.
Really? Thought the mom was considering a part-time job and the speech was free.

You're right pre-school and dance, by-themselves won't improve the girl's speech. But they will enhance the girl's overall development and improve her chances at academic / social success down the line.

My girls did "dance" at our local community center. The YMCA or Parks & rec have cheep classes and most will give discounts for families with need.

Pre-school programs aren't cheep, but there are lots of options from Co-ops to home school to subsidized programs.

Money well spent IMO

Old 08-16-2014, 09:01 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
you are your child's best teacher.
Not in every situation.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Not in every situation.
That's true about some parents.

I always tell parents that during Meet the Teacher night because they know their child better than anyone and they are their child's best advocate.

Parents who read to their children and play math games are ones who have a leg up when they start school. That also includes speech issues. Of course the child needs professional help, but it's the parents who supply the daily practice necessary for rapid gains.

Too many parents sit on the sidelines and are not active participants in their child's education. They feel like they can't do it, and they don't reach out to get the help they need.

This mom is also a teacher, if I am not mixing her up with someone else.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
Really? Thought the mom was considering a part-time job and the speech was free.

You're right pre-school and dance, by-themselves won't improve the girl's speech. But they will enhance the girl's overall development and improve her chances at academic / social success down the line.

My girls did "dance" at our local community center. The YMCA or Parks & rec have cheep classes and most will give discounts for families with need.

Pre-school programs aren't cheep, but there are lots of options from Co-ops to home school to subsidized programs.

Money well spent IMO
Here is the reason I advised what I did. this is a quote from the OP.
"So things have changed, DH had to take a 2nd job to continue have me staying home bc his overtime got cut and he expressed some concern that the $140 a month might be stretching it. He wanted to just pull her out. I did the budgeting and we can afford it, but now I got a part time job that starts in September so he could quit his 2nd job. The hours I will be working cause a conflict with her speech therapy time though. I spoke to her therapist who said she would work with me to fit her in somehow, but as of now, she can only fit her in during the time she would be at pre-school. She said we could wait and see if she can change around the times with new kids that may come in. Though, I'm going to bet that's no guarantee Of course, her getting speech is really important to us, so just cutting it out isn't an option. And I really don't want to switch therapists considering DD loves her and her speech has improved."

****The speech therapy continuity is the number one priority in my opinion since gains have already been made. That means no schooling. Just replace with play dates. Dance is expensive and while worthwhile, extra speech therapy would be more beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting