Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:27 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
You are in for a very painful life if this incident broke your heart.
You really don't feel pain when your kids go through something painful?

We are actually a very blessed and happy family. Maybe that's why this stuck out so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It's not his reasoning I have such an issue with. It's the fact that he imposed it on us. People can think whatever they want in the privacy of their minds.

It would t have surprised me to see spittle forming in the side of his mouth, because he was acting crazy.

Do you think what he did and said was appropriate? Nothing in your post addresses the fact that he was talking to a ten year old. I actually pushed her behind me and he was bobbing around me to look in her face. ( not in a threatening way though)

I don't want this to devolve into a " what women are physically capable of doing"thread. A new thread on that would be totally fine.
Appropriate? No it wasn't.
I am glad he is not an owner of a sports team though.

I do think "people" overall are too sensitive nowadays. Let them say what they want and move on, unless you work for or do business with them. People should be able to say what they think and not be scared of public and media backlash because they have a different view depending on the subject of course.

There will always be some people who are racists, discriminate against religions, a society, and more. It will never be as you want it to be even in future generations. Prejudice is human nature. Some don't like blondes, brunettes, shorts, fat, colored, latino, asian, muscle heads, vegans, arabs, elderly, people who drive imports, southerners, new yorkers, etc.. It just goes on and on.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My 4 year old daughter..., and sometimes girls just want a boys toy, and sometimes boys just want a girl toy and that's all okay too." Walked away... So I just kinda balled the ugly proud cry in the store.. Never phased her and I didn't worry after that about her worrying about what people thought.
That is the nub of the matter. Your 4 year old daughter handled it and walked away. You were proud and you will NOT worry after that about her handling situations.

Mom I am proud of you for the way you raised your daughter. My bet is she can face anything life throws at her.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:56 PM

624 posts, read 763,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's better to learn now than be caught off guard somewhere important.

My older daughter learned about it from her grandpa, who went on and on about how we had to have a son or we had to divorce so my husband could have a son with someone else. So we had to talk about it when she was three or four years old.
The thing that cracks me up about your daughter's grandfather is he doesn't realize it is the MALE who determines the sex of the child. Y'know, that whole XY vs XX chromosone dealie.

My Dad could never comprehend that concept, either. Everything that didn't go his way in life was always due to the fault and failings of women. :/

Old 08-18-2014, 01:57 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Not trying to be argumentative but one old crank in the train shop is nothing compared to what your daughter is going to face from her own gender over her junior high and highschool years......and beyond.

The face of racism, sexism etc. is changing in this country just like our own demographics.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Explain to her that there are people who are still convinced that the earth is flat. You just have to feel sorry for people that are that dumb. Let her know that you can't help them be smarter - just ignore them and move forward. People like that keep themselves back - and try to do the same to everyone.

This commercial still makes me cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3cyRRAfX0

Old 08-18-2014, 03:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Explain to her that there are people who are still convinced that the earth is flat. You just have to feel sorry for people that are that dumb. Let her know that you can't help them be smarter - just ignore them and move forward. People like that keep themselves back - and try to do the same to everyone.

This commercial still makes me cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3cyRRAfX0
That's just about perfect...she will totally get that flat earth reference. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2014, 03:14 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
@ the OP, I have no problem telling people off who wish to demean me for being female, biracial, gay, short, or anything else. I've had a tough life, and I've had to deal with a lot worse than rude comments, so if they want to spar, I'm ready to go anytime I've caught more than a few people off guard by standing up for myself. Maybe suggest something like that to your daughter. That can make her feel empowered and not like a victim.
Short people can spar?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:17 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's better to learn now than be caught off guard somewhere important.

My older daughter learned about it from her grandpa, who went on and on about how we had to have a son or we had to divorce so my husband could have a son with someone else. So we had to talk about it when she was three or four years old.
Forgive me but your (I assume) father-in-law sounds like a real douchebag. I can only imagine how he treats you and your daughter.

Thankfully, everyday there are fewer and fewer of these knuckle-draggers.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:35 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
I'm sorry that your daughter had to witness this first hand. One of my old psych professors had us do a project concerning 'isms'. We had to take pictures and write about what we saw. Attached is a picture that I found in Toys R Us that completely baffled me. As you can see, it is two tins of tinkertoys. I loved these as a kid. If you notice, the 'boys' tin has what looks like a robot and a ferris wheel in the picture. The 'girls' tin has what looks like a house. The kicker are the words written on the two different tins. For girls, there are phrases like "creative and educational", " Pink, Purple and green pieces inspire creative imaginations", and "Designed especially for girls". On the 'boy's' tin, all it says is "Durable plastic Pieces" and "Bright Colors". Even though both tins come with 200 pieces, the girls tin was 10 dollar less.

Construction type toys such as tinker toys, legos, erector sets, science sets, Lincoln logs, etc have always been geared towards boys. This picture was taken only a few years ago and it is truly sad that companies feel the need to separate out the children.

I hope your daughter enjoys the model and I hope she builds many more.
Attached Thumbnails
Daughter exposed to misogyny last week.-img_0002.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting