Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:13 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, just call me "Satan" instead of "Falls Angel". (Meaning I'm being the devil's advocate.)

Sometimes these long-standing programs get very hung up in tradition and don't seem to think about how times have changed. My oldest daughter went to a high school that opened her freshman year, with no "that's how we've always done it" to deal with. She did sports at another long-time high school, and you could tell the difference. They had plenty of "traditions" that wouldn't be tolerated at her "real" school, like hazing.

I do not think teaching little kids a song about hating school is appropriate. They may come to that conclusion themselves at some point, but there's no need to encourage it.
There is a WIDE gap between hazing and "No more pencils, no more rulebooks, no more teacher's dirty looks."

As has been said many times, we don't know WHAT the song actually says, and the OP's description is not so reliable. I'm having a hard time finding ANY song with "reiteration" in the lyrics.

Context is key.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There is a WIDE gap between hazing and "No more pencils, no more rulebooks, no more teacher's dirty looks."

As has been said many times, we don't know WHAT the song actually says, and the OP's description is not so reliable. I'm having a hard time finding ANY song with "reiteration" in the lyrics.

Context is key.
I could give you ten more examples, but you'd just blow them off, too. One example is from a first-grader; the other from a high school freshman. And the POINT was that sometimes old programs get a little hide-bound.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 PM

838 posts, read 1,204,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
If that were MY kid, he would have been out of the "program" the second I heard/read the lyrics they were trying to teach him, and the people who chose that song would be on their way to being FIRED.

Who on earth decided that this was a healthy thing to teach children?
Nice of you to project your feelings onto everyone else. I get it that some people are hyper-sensitive and can't imagine their kids doing something so life threatening as singing an amusing song. If you are that person, by all means, remove your kid from the chorus. Everyone will probably be happier... except probably your kid and their friends...

What you shouldn't do is try and force your inability to enjoy life onto everyone else by trying to get someone fired. You don't want to participate, great, leave. But, in a free country, others should be allowed to have fun however they see fit so long as no laws are broken.

Last edited by bspray; 08-26-2014 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I could give you ten more examples, but you'd just blow them off, too. One example is from a first-grader; the other from a high school freshman. And the POINT was that sometimes old programs get a little hide-bound.
A classic Katiana knee-jerk ^^.

We don't know what song they are singing
We don't know if it is an old or new song.
We don't know how long the current leader has been in charge of the chorus.

In fact, if this child is part of what is called the Training Choir, I know for a fact that is a brand-new program.

Neither of us can say whether this program is "hide-bound."

OP needs to remain calm, ASK the person in charge about the song choice, and decide whether this program will coincide with his parenting style.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM

45 posts, read 48,121 times
Quote:
A classic Katiana knee-jerk ^^.

We don't know how long the current leader has been in charge of the chorus.

In fact, if this child is part of what is called the Training Choir, I know for a fact that is a brand-new program.

Neither of us can say whether this program is "hide-bound."

OP needs to remain calm, ASK the person in charge about the song choice, and decide whether this program will coincide with his parenting style.
I am staying calm. No worries. I have asked the teacher for the lyrics and will update you all when I get it. I may reach out to other parents for their opinions. I am certainly not interested in having the teacher fired. She was quite passionate in teaching and seemed very good at communicating with the kids. I hope to either be convinced or convince her, in a polite and peaceful way. I can accept the bottom line that the song stays and I had to do some extra communication with my kid. But I will probably consider quitting if they choose a second unhealthy song.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,991,174 times
Quote:

Exactly. Here's some of the lyrics to a song a lot of kids sing on stage:

"Empty belly life!
Rotten smelly life!
Full of sorrow life!
No tomorrow life!"

The song is from "Annie". Context is important.

OP: Ask the teacher. We don't know your home country but In America a good teacher will have NO problem explaining the choice to you. You have a long, hard road ahead of you if you start determining songs (or poems or books) are "unhealthy" and start calling other parents when their kids are in a legitimate, respected school program.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-26-2014 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,038,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
I am staying calm. No worries. I have asked the teacher for the lyrics and will update you all when I get it. I may reach out to other parents for their opinions. I am certainly not interested in having the teacher fired. She was quite passionate in teaching and seemed very good at communicating with the kids. I hope to either be convinced or convince her, in a polite and peaceful way. I can accept the bottom line that the song stays and I had to do some extra communication with my kid. But I will probably consider quitting if they choose a second unhealthy song.
Just remember ... at your sons age his parents have much more influence on him than peers, etc. You could laugh and joke about the words to the song and just let him think that it is a funny song! You two could even make up some more lyrics to the song or to other songs to help him understand humor and not to take it seriously.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,190,784 times
Try this:
I have lost my underwear, I don't care, I'll go bare... bye bye longjohns....
They were very dear to me, tickled me, hee hee hee... bye bye longjohns....
When you see that little trap door behind me,
You will know just where that you can find me,
I have lost my underwear, I don't care, I'll go bare.... longjohns, bye bye!

(sung to the tune of Bye Bye Blackbird)

I lernt that at 4H camp!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,503,399 times
How about the little ditty about the plague that 100% of kids sing?

OP if you don't like the song choice and no one else has complained then you have no right to insist on anything, pull your child. If not know I have a hunch you'll find something else objectionable.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
How about the little ditty about the plague that 100% of kids sing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting