Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 AM

44 posts, read 73,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
What? I have found teens.....just like adults.. have all sorts of comfort levels with media (movies, movies, gaming).... they no more crave certain types of anything more than anyone else. Why are you trying to make it sound like teenagers are that's horrid violent creatures because some watch some movies.

Parents and teens should watch what they are comfortable with and talk about it...especially mature themes.....but media doesn't turn kids bad as you seem to be implying.

of course it doesent turn kids bad, be desentizes them to it, also can put idea's of that they maybe have not been able to come up with on their own.

doesent mean they will do them.

you forgot that part.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I think kids and adults can get desensitized to violence and other things after awhile. I used to think some curse words were horrible and filthy but after hearing and seeing them so much I'm sorry to say I find myself using them. In my youth "crap" was considered a filthy word. Now it is used all over the place. As a society we are using terms publicly no one would have used in polite society just a few years ago.

Movies and TV and video games have been pushing boundaries for quite some time and society is eating it up. And younger and younger kids are exposed to what I feel is inappropriate.

When it first came out DH and I tried to watch Breaking Bad but could not handle it for the violence. Same thing for Dexter. Then I kept hearing about these two shows non stop and I became curious. I binge watched both shows-sometimes 4 or 5 episodes in one useless day. I'm glad I did as both are part of TV history. But I would never allow a kid to watch either one much less a 6 year old. Unbelievable.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
The argument that kids know the difference between real and fantasy is not always true. What about the two 12 year old girls who murdered their "friend" as a sacrifice to some weird character on the internet..Slender man or something like that?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The argument that kids know the difference between real and fantasy is not always true. What about the two 12 year old girls who murdered their "friend" as a sacrifice to some weird character on the internet..Slender man or something like that?
But.....there have always been those types of kids on the fringe. I don't think they are the norm.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
There was a boy in my town back in the 70s that put another kid in intensive care and killed himself when he had a break with reality which some blamed on music....the difference is that it didn't make the national news or even the regional news. Are you really going to judge all teens by those that are mentally ill?

Last edited by ScarletG; 08-27-2014 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: auto correct

Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Broody means breeding or inclined to breed.

Brooding means having a gloomy or worried disposition.

What kind of 13 year old were you? :-)
Given many 13 year olds were horny, especially boys, "brooding" still sounds like the proper term.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 7,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Kids have had access to inappropriate material since the invention of video tapes and cable television. This is nothing new. It's up to parents to parent their children as they see fit.

Some are aware of what their kids watch, some aren't. Again, nothing new.

So true.

ICAM

Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Like some of the other posters said, "It depends on the child." One of my shorties has been watching movies like Saw since she was 6. She is the youngest and with older siblings in the house watching this on TV what do you do? Her parents were at work and the oldest ones watched the youngest. She's 13 now and every time they come for a sleep over it's time to watch something scary. We took her and her sister out for her sister's 15th birthday and the movie she picked had some material that made me cringe. The 15 year old covered her eyes. The 13 year old watched every second with a few giggles. That stuff is all around us. It's not like the good old days before cable TV when you watched a small black and white with only a few channels. I think it was a lot easier to raise kids back then.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
...and yet my late grandmother grew up on a commercial pig farm in the 1920s and she would recall going with her siblings to watch the pigs be slaughtered, the boys were even given a chance to join in and be all covered in blood and muck.

The children were also expected to help dispatching the chickens from time to time.

So really not too long ago the day to day reality of children's lives were very different and sometimes more violent than the entertainment of today.

Just something to ponder.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
...and yet my late grandmother grew up on a commercial pig farm in the 1920s and she would recall going with her siblings to watch the pigs be slaughtered, the boys were even given a chance to join in and be all covered in blood and muck.

The children were also expected to help dispatching the chickens from time to time.

So really not too long ago the day to day reality of children's lives were very different and sometimes more violent than the entertainment of today.

Just something to ponder.
I would only question whether preparing food products is considered "violence". I know PETA would consider it violence but I'm not sure about the average 20s farm family. The same family may kill 50 pigs in a day yet consider the word "heck" to worthy of getting your mouth washed out with soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting