Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times

Advertisements

911 Dispatcher Disciplined for Not Helping Baby Locked in Hot Car

He should be fired ! ! !

https://gma.yahoo.com/911-dispatcher...opstories.html

Last edited by bumpus7; 08-27-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
That's insane. He should be fired.

I know first hand how that can happen. My dog hit the lock button on my car door while I was pumping gas. I had left the keys inside. The police came right away without fanfare. It's routine for police to unlock car doors here, even if there isn't an animal or human inside. I learned to make sure Now I don't step out of the car for the briefest minute without my keys are in hand or a least making sure a window is opened wide enough to reach my arm through.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
The story is a little confusing. It sounds like the dispatcher said that police could be sent but they wouldn't break into the car unless there was obvious distress (in which case the window would be smashed). The mother was also the one who hung up the phone. If that is the case, the dispatcher definitely could have handled the situation better by trying to calm down the mother, getting a location, and flat out asking "do you want me to send an officer?" I don't think it is fire-worthy though.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:57 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Hear is a new link

https://gma.yahoo.com/911-dispatcher...opstories.html

Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Based upon my past knowledge police cars are assigned certain districts of a city and would be available re any emergency calls even when in the middle of a traffic ticket stop.

Years back a slim Jim was a quick tool to unlock a door....not sure about these new cars now days.

Any baby/child accidently or otherwise locked inside a car has Priority over other misc calls or violations being handled at that time......Police officer or nearby Fire Dept would have handled the situation.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
The story is a little confusing. It sounds like the dispatcher said that police could be sent but they wouldn't break into the car unless there was obvious distress (in which case the window would be smashed). The mother was also the one who hung up the phone. If that is the case, the dispatcher definitely could have handled the situation better by trying to calm down the mother, getting a location, and flat out asking "do you want me to send an officer?" I don't think it is fire-worthy though.
There's nothing confusing about it. She initially asked if someone could come out and open the door. He should have sent someone. He didn't need to ask her again if she wanted an officer since she asked for one when she called.

Plus, the police department says it's not true that they won't open a car door unless the child is in distress. That would be an insane protocol because it would put children at risk of brain damage and they most certainly will be in eventual distress one way or another if the door isn't opened.

He should be fired for simply being an idiot who doesn't understand the imminent risks of children locked in hot cars. The bystander who broke her window with a wrench should have his job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting