Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:24 PM

368 posts, read 929,117 times

Advertisements

I enjoy sleeping through the night and the fact that my boys can (almost) make themselves breakfast. I like the fact that I no longer am able to even carry them and that I have finally reached my pre-pregnancy weight through a new healthier way of eating and exercise. I am feeling good about myself again both mentally and physically so why am I actually considering "going for the girl" since I have 2 boys?

I do admit I had a bit of an angry episode last night when my boys barely paid attention to what I was saying and I didn't feel DH was appropriately supporting me. I do get the "mommy takes things too personally" when I feel all this testosterone in the house gets overwhelming. I grew up an "old soul" according to my older son's counselor (he has ADHD and possibly ASD) - I grew up with a mother in her late 30's and a father in his early 40's and they were both educators and quiet. People would call the house and remark about how quiet it was. My mother was a bit of a yeller when she got angry but never my father. In general, we lived in a reserved household where everyone was reading or watching public television. Cut to my household which has 2 very loud boys crashing about the house at 5am and DH sounds like a Latin Fred Flinstone all the time lmao. I literally can't think: the TV is going, toys are crashing, boys are stomping and DH is watching videos in his office and of course no one listens to me when I call everyone down to dinner or asks for the TV upstairs to go off when the one downstairs is on, when my older son mouths off to me right before DH walks in and rewards him with the latest sports gear, etc. etc. Sigh.

I think I'm actually deluding myself into thinking that by having a girl, I will have someone "in my corner" or someone who will be quiet and listen...? I hear these stories all the time of people who have boys who are bouncing off the walls and the girl is playing quietly. Or maybe I'm feeling my age as if my time to have children is coming to an end and this is my last chance. Ugh. One day I totally want to go for it, the next day especially when my children misbehave, I tell myself, no... way...

What's wrong with me? Seriously, I should be living it up right now, enjoying my time for a change and I seem to be in a hurry to change that.

And the $64,000 question from DH is "Will I have to wheel you from the maternity ward to the psych ward if you have another boy?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
eh,

My girl friend gets baby fever every time she sees a baby (she and her husband have 5 children)
and it was even worse when their daughter was pregnant.

She is currently 54 years old and still gets baby fever.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Ok, then maybe this is a passing thing. We visited my good friend with the most wonderful baby girl and DH thanked her for giving me baby fever and encouraging me to try again.

Also, we just moved to TX where all these moms in the area have at least 3-4 kids and look fabulous! They don't seem tired at all. I have to figure out their secret - it really makes me think "I can do this! I can carry a car seat again!"

Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I have three boys. I have 6 friends who have three boys. I know of exactly one person who had two sons and went on to have a daughter.

There was a time when I wanted my third to be a girl, in the worst way. It passed. I adore my boys, and can't imagine it any other way.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:53 PM

Thank you Mattie. I'm figuring that this will pass (although I thought it was pass a long time ago). If I am actually going to try to get pregnant, I have to be ok with having a 3rd boy. There was a time when I first got pregnant, I wanted badly for the baby to be a girl, and after awhile was so happy to have a boy. One mother told me yes, the girl loves you to death when she's little but when she gets older, watch out. The opposite for boys - they are crazy when they're young and see you as trying to ruin all their fun but when they grow to young men, they get protective. Hmmm. LOL. These are all generalizations. I had such a close relationship with my mom that I feel a little sad sometimes that I won't have that mother-daughter relationship myself.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:53 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
My aunt had all boys and kept going until she had a girl - at #6

Old 08-28-2014, 02:56 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I have three boys. I have 6 friends who have three boys. I know of exactly one person who had two sons and went on to have a daughter.

There was a time when I wanted my third to be a girl, in the worst way. It passed. I adore my boys, and can't imagine it any other way.
I have a girlfriend who is a twin. My girlfriend has 6 boys, at which time they stopped trying for a girl. Her twin sister had 6 girls, at which time they stopped trying for a boy!

Old 08-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Yeah I'm not going until I'm at #6 lol. I think I felt I had a shot when my doctor told me I was still fertile when I thought I might be pre-menopausal. My girlfriends keep telling me to go for it.. well, all of them except one. She tells me to focus on retirement, not another $200k to raise a child.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I also have 3 boys. It is often like a frat house around here.

It sounds like you are just feeling a loss, or a lack, and your mind is going there to fill that need.

Logically, though, you know that having a baby to fill a hole in YOUR heart is not a good idea. And you can't guarantee a girl anyway.

Time for a girls' night out with friends!

Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 PM

105 posts, read 111,000 times
Have you considered adoption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting