Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 PM

105 posts, read 111,027 times

Advertisements

My son will be 4 in November. All last season he watched football with dh and said he wanted to throw a ball "like the big guys". Now we told him the season is about to start again soon and he is still talking about throwing a ball. We bought him a football and he runs around the park with it.

I was wondering if this is too early to start an organized sport. He is rather fast for his age and very resilient-rarely cries when he skins his knee, etc. Clearly the sport won't be football, but what would be the best choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,053,237 times
Soccer. The little ones are so funny to watch when playing soccer -- they are like this little pack that all runs close together around the field LOL

Old 08-28-2014, 05:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Most areas offer a variety of youth sports that are tailored to the abilities and sensibilties of a variety of ages. Soccer, t-ball, basketball, even hockey and football in some areas are available at a young age. The focus is on learning the very basic skills and having fun as well as working together as a team. Chck your local rec or community center for info and see what he's interested in. Try something different each season.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Check your local YMCA. Ours have a little Mites program and they spend a couple weeks on different things such as soccer, floor hockey, basketball, etc..... all fun and non-competitive.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 PM

105 posts, read 111,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Check your local YMCA. Ours have a little Mites program and they spend a couple weeks on different things such as soccer, floor hockey, basketball, etc..... all fun and non-competitive.
We are members of the Y but the only things the kids have done there is take swimming lessons and go to childcare. That sounds like fun!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
Try Tee Ball.

It's great for eye hand at that age. And he gets to learn to throw and catch a ball.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:08 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
My son will be 4 in November. All last season he watched football with dh and said he wanted to throw a ball "like the big guys". Now we told him the season is about to start again soon and he is still talking about throwing a ball. We bought him a football and he runs around the park with it.

I was wondering if this is too early to start an organized sport. He is rather fast for his age and very resilient-rarely cries when he skins his knee, etc. Clearly the sport won't be football, but what would be the best choice?
Contact your towns park and rec and see if they have any youth leagues. Soccer is a great sport for that age...my daughter played indoor soccer during the winter on the basketball court at that age. T-ball didn't start till get 6. Basketball was age 5 and that was good as well.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Flag football.

It's no contact, and the Franklin Y has a great program.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
We are members of the Y but the only things the kids have done there is take swimming lessons and go to childcare. That sounds like fun!
I checked your area ymca and didnt see that program listed. But as another poster in your area mentioned flag football would be fun. I have now twin 5 yr olds and they did t-ball this past summer.....you have to be 5 where I live. I wouldnt worry too much about activities....one or two at most.....as at this age they like to run around and not be confined to any one thing for a long time.

I live in a colder climate so most of our activities are geared toward indoors as our warm season is shortern than down south.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:50 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,454,172 times
Around here 5 year olds can play soccer, t-ball, and flag football. Of course there are individual sports like karate and golf, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting