Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 AM

336 posts, read 716,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't see why the two events cannot be combined, and in my experience they usually are.
Why would you NEED to combine both? That sounds like somebody who just "needs" to physically show their dominance for some reason.

Like the other poster, my children are more affected by my disappointment in their choices which garners true respect in my opinion. I want my children to truly understand right from wrong and true consequences which will follow them through more of their lives than "fear" of mom and dad or the method of spanking.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:17 AM

336 posts, read 716,373 times
In looking up the verse, I also found this on page that is a Bible site: Thou shall beat him with the rod,.... Or, correct him with the stripes of the children of men, in a moderate and suitable manner, proportionable to the fault committed; and as he is able to bear it, both as to body and mind;

So, again, is it moderate or suitable or proportionable when we are on average how many times bigger than a little child to spank or beat them? Sorry...in my opinion, physical means of "discipline" are for people who don't know and don't care to know any other way to parent. I find it interesting still that nobody addresses how usually parents who use physical means do so when they are frustrated or angry. I don't understand hitting a child for making bad choices when adults do it every day. I don't understand hitting a child for not being able to control their attitudes or emotions perfectly when so many adults, including their own parents, do it every day. Talk about he who is without sin may cast the first stone...

Old 09-04-2014, 10:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
after a career of working with failed lives, i can tell you the greatest generation was doing just fine until we decided we needed to fix the system. 1963 was not a dawning of the age of aquarius, it was a train derailment.
to fix a few injustices the entire system was thrown overboard.
without discipline there is no learning. without learning failure is certain. how can a country carry on such a romance with the martial arts since the 1960's and still ignore its basic principles? discipline and respect for authority. boundaries and consequences for wrongdoing.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I don't understand the logic that hitting children teaches them NOT to be aggressive. If anything, it teaches them the exact opposite: that it's OK for adults to hit kids just because they're bigger and stronger The idea that using less force and hitting them softly doesn't make it acceptable to me either.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
after a career of working with failed lives, i can tell you the greatest generation was doing just fine until we decided we needed to fix the system. 1963 was not a dawning of the age of aquarius, it was a train derailment.
without discipline there is no learning. without learning failure is certain. how can a country carry on such a romance with the martial arts since the 1960's and still ignore its basic principles? discipline and respect for authority. boundaries and consequences for wrongdoing.
All of those things can be done without beating kids. And you think 'the greatest generation' didn't have problems....you are delusional...they were hidden and kept quiet...lives were shattered but never talked about.....but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Take off your rose colored glasses of the past.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Agreed. If you don't beat your kids with a belt, they WILL end up in prison. At least that's what the Bible told me.

Last edited by strawflower; 09-04-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Spanking does not lead to anything. Now the belt using the belt buckle side that really hurt as a kid.

Seriously, I recall the days when the nuns would hit you with the ruler, spank you and smash you with the pointer.

One kid I recall the nun did all three and told NUN is that all you got, nun told him I am warming up. Called his Dad at work from Emergency contact list and told him to leave work now and get to school. Blue collar back then so she has to call boss, who calls Foreman who calls his supervisor that a NUN is on the phone and his kid is in trouble. Had to leave work early and get docked pay.

That kid got worked over with the belt for several hours that night. He was nice and calm and polite the rest of school year. First grade is some hard leaning in the Bronx in Catholic School.

I am not categorically against corporal punishment in every instance, but this story, if true; makes me ill.

Any individual who would "work over" a first grade child with a belt for a couple of hours is a sick sadist.

This is felony child abuse and beating a child with a belt for hours is not a spanking. It's also against the law in NY State and in many states. That man deserves to be in JAIL.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Not spanking them leads to AH behavior.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:33 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Not spanking them leads to AH behavior.
Prove it? Every ******* I've ever met was hit as a child....seems your comment doesn't hold up.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:57 PM

723 posts, read 868,767 times
I got hit now and then as a child although it was never anything that could be considered abusive, just something that I occasionally had coming my way as an unruly child that would push his parents to their limit, and I am as non-aggressive a person as you are likely to meet. I've never so much as raised my fists against another person in 26 years of being alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting