Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:53 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,078,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why did a 17 year old sitting in a car for 5 minutes alone seem more dangerous than everything else they did alone without you, like utilizing public transportation often?

Why are you questioning what I did with my children? Is it really that important to you what happened that many years ago?
You do not understand nor agree with how we did the things we did with our children and I feel no need to explain further the decisions I made with my Husband for our children.
Time to find a new hobby and interrogate someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 AM

37,489 posts, read 45,766,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
All PARENTS ONLY please.. Please tell me have you ever left your child in the car to run into a store/post office/ etc for less then 1 minute?? And is that illegal?
Yes, I certainly have. Running into 7-11, always where I could see him, if there was no line. I don't see a problem with that. But never going into a grocery store or anywhere where I would be gone more than a couple of minutes. And definitely not into a post office - no I would always take him in with me.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,592,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
All PARENTS ONLY please.. Please tell me have you ever left your child in the car to run into a store/post office/ etc for less then 1 minute?? And is that illegal?
I did not, will not, it's illegal. I live in Florida where it is VERY hot.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:31 AM

22,378 posts, read 47,354,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think most people left their kids for things like that. Add in some bitter winter cold, or pouring rain? Make that, the majority.
Majority?
I think not!

Old 09-06-2014, 08:41 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,661,026 times
I've left my child, under five, strapped in her car seat while I've done things like drop books in the book drop at the library, return a grocery cart to the cart return, walk to the door of a friends house to pick up her sister. Yes. Basically, all things that really do take a minute or two and all in situations where I can clearly see the car and she can see me. I don't really see why this would be dangerous or a big deal.

Last edited by MissTerri; 09-06-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 09:03 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,388,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Into a store or post office? No. Out of the car to drop off books at the library box, or a video at Blockbuster (yeah, it's been a while), yes.

I think the laws are murky in most places. The concern now is kids being left in hot cars, and it's a legitimate one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I've left my child, under five, strapped in her car seat while I've done things like drop books in the book drop at the library, return a grocery cart to the cart return, walk to the of a friends house to pick up her sister. Yes. Basically, all things that really do take a minute or two and all in situations where I can clearly see the car and she can see me. I don't really see why this would be dangerous or a big deal.
These - yes. Car off, keys out of the ignition - walk 10 ft to the (outside) book drop/dry cleaner drop/cart corral etc. These places typically have reserved spaces right in front of them. so it literally is about 10 ft. Leave them inside the car while I walked into a building (convenience store or whatever)? Never.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:30 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,486,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
These - yes. Car off, keys out of the ignition - walk 10 ft to the (outside) book drop/dry cleaner drop/cart corral etc. These places typically have reserved spaces right in front of them. so it literally is about 10 ft. Leave them inside the car while I walked into a building (convenience store or whatever)? Never.
Yes absolutely this kind of stuff when they were little. At 10yrs old though I will leave my daughter to grab a few things at the store, go in to get her brother from school, or go into the post office etc.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:47 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,299,615 times
I've done it, and would do it again in a minute. I'll expand on it in a later post, perhaps.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 AM

11,976 posts, read 8,303,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You must not have turned off the car and taken the keys because every automatic transmission car I owned required the key to be in the ignition to shift them out of park. My manual transmission cars would have stalled instantly if I got out of car with it in gear because I would have needed to take my foot off of the clutch to get out of the car.
It was an automatic '62 Chevy, Hopes. I couldn't remember so I called DH in to ask him how it could happen the way it did. He can't remember either how those cars functioned. Different from the built-in safety functions of today, I know.

This forgetfulness is a gift of age. You end up with so few people left to blame. It could have been me or it might have been the car.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:34 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,419,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I've left my child, under five, strapped in her car seat while I've done things like drop books in the book drop at the library, return a grocery cart to the cart return, walk to the door of a friends house to pick up her sister. Yes. Basically, all things that really do take a minute or two and all in situations where I can clearly see the car and she can see me. I don't really see why this would be dangerous or a big deal.
Yes, I've done all of the above. I never left kids in the car to go into a building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting