Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:52 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times

Advertisements

I think the MAIN problem in this society is our lack of mental health care and health care workers not recognizing people with serious mental issues.

Many situations could be avoided if we had more facilities, better doctors, and easier access to getting help when a person's mental health deteriorates.

A friend of mine was suicidal and went to a hospital to get help. She was severely depressed because she'd been in a fatal vehicle accident and was guilt ridden, even though it wasn't her fault that a young woman died that night.

She should have been admitted (committed) but no one took her seriously. They turned her away for SOME stupid reason, so she went home and took a bottle of pills. I love my friend and thankfully her daughter went to check on her that night or she wouldn't be around today. OF COURSE, only AFTER her attempted suicide, they admitted her for a week. I am happy to say that she is doing fine now (8 years later), but I could have lost my friend forever that night.

Autumn's law sounds totally stupid. That boy should have been in a health care facility until he was deemed well enough to be released. If he didn't get better, then he should have been committed for life for the protection of the public. I know, the idea sucks, but it would be the only solution. That young girl would be alive today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkmanMilk View Post
bahahaahahahaha. the most drama happens in small towns because "everyone knows everyone". i don't see why you'd ever want to want to raise a kid in a small town...reciepe for disaster and mental trauma. also it is widely known that small town teens use the most drugs because there is nothing to do for miles.
I agree, but I can think of one more thing they do for "entertainment" and it causes the teenage pregnancy rate to go way up. Sad, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting