Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,931 times

Advertisements

My ex husband owes about $50,000 in back support. I was getting about $300 every 2 weeks until my kids turned 18. Now I'm getting $40 every 2 weeks. Several months ago I called the support enforcement office in CT and was able to get the amount per week changed to $55, which means I should be getting $110 every 2 weeks.

I have no idea what's going on with his employer, but the order of support was never honored despite the State sending numerous letters. To make matters worse, even though they are still taking the $40 out every 2 weeks, I have not received anything from them in almost 2 months. I have been trying to look around for garnishment laws but I don't seem to be finding anything. I thought that it was against the law for an employer to garnish someone's wages and not send the money right away.

I feel like I've been calling the State every other month about the support order change, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere. It's almost like they're getting a portion of the money they're asking and that seems to be fine with them.

I'm beyond frustrated. I know it doesn't seem like a lot of money to most people, but $50,000 is a lot to owe in back support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
I truly understand your situation. At least be happy that you get at least something. My ex did not even obeyed the court order. And he flew away to another country. But he had more than 50,000 euros in his bank when he went with ignoring the mortgage paying and everything. I have filed case with support enforcement agency here in NL. This damn bureau wait so long. And my ex took all the money from outside of EU till the bank was 00. Honestly I am not sure this people working or just drinking coffee whole day. And my ex owe me now even more. I truly understand you.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:31 AM

513 posts, read 799,130 times
I left my abusive ex almost a year ago and he has yet to pay a dime. He even left me to pay all the bills he had in his name.

I'd be careful. I have read horror stories about an overzealous (or under zealous depending on which side you are on) deciding to close out an account because the person hasn't paid and they don't feel like bothering with it anymore. Apparently one lowly desk clerk can in fact hit a button and throw it to the side because its "not worth it". Its a shame that whenever a mother asks for support they are looked upon as if they are greedy vultures when in fact I'd like to see ANYONE live "the good life" on a support payment. 99.9% of the time it doesn't even cover a tiny fraction of the actual cost to raise the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting