Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Good job. my Benchmade triage that I carry with me always has a a glass breaker on it, but have never used it. I was surprised to learn how difficult auto glass is to break though.
It does vary with laminated safety glass found in windshields being the most difficult.

Tempered auto glass will shatter with one strike from something as innocuous as a spring loaded center punch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Unless the security guard knew for a fact that help was 1 or 2 minutes away he's an idiot who should be fired.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SAN ANTONIO — When a San Antonio woman noticed a baby left alone in a hot car, she ignored the warnings from bystanders and a security guard.

Angela Radtke smashed through the car windshield with a tire iron and crawled through the hole to unlock the door. - See more at: Woman breaks windshield to rescue baby from hot car | www.whio.com
Not to denigrate this women but why no call to 911? Most cops can open a car in a minute or so with a slim jim.

She of course did the right thing though there were likely better. side window and reach in without risking ones own body trying to get through a windshield hole.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i read the rest of the article the woman's actions were correct.
the bystanders and guard were cowards.
and the dad is up for charges.
he "forgot" the baby was in the car.
many that call themselves parents are not.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It does vary with laminated safety glass found in windshields being the most difficult.

Tempered auto glass will shatter with one strike from something as innocuous as a spring loaded center
punch.
Although I have seen a video of a newswoman taking a tire iron to a side window, it boucing off and smacking her in the head knocking her loopy.

Good the woman who broke the window. People are becoming to afraid to act for fear of recrimination. Who knows what could happen while waiting for someone to act?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i read the rest of the article the woman's actions were correct.
the bystanders and guard were cowards.
and the dad is up for charges.
he "forgot" the baby was in the car.
many that call themselves parents are not.
Of course they were. Though perhaps not optimum. Why risk damage to a rescuer and make it longer and more dangerous?

Did they call 911 and no cop in 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Was there some reason not to use a small hole in the side window?

Again you do what seems right at the time. But looking back may make the next incident safer.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Here's a 20 second video of how most thieves gain access to cars and sliding patio doors in my city...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...sigb=13dhkcbt9

Side note... came home and found about 20 divots near the handle of my sliding glass patio door... several in the area were burglarized and entry was by shattering patio door glass.

Only one problem... my home has the original 1958 sliding patio glass door and it's PLATE glass and not tempered like today...

Old 09-25-2014, 06:45 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You never know how a person will react when faced with a crisis...

My firefighter friend comments on this all the time.

I chased down a burglar and had him cornered as the police I called arrived... publicly the officers told me it was foolish and risky... privately they thanked me because the guy was suspect in several break ins and it turned out to be his third strike.

Again, given the right circumstances people might just amaze you!
Yes, I am very mild mannered and small. I have a high pitched voice and look like a kinder teacher. ( I am)

I was once cornered in a laundromat by a man trying to accost me. I grabbed a laundry basket and put it between us and shoving him hard. I was cursing up a storm and screaming bloody murder. ( I blush remembering the words I used.) then I slipped out the side door, but I was so angry that I almost went back inside.

He was stunned. I actually told him ..." You better run, bleepity bleep bleep."

I never thought I would have done that. If I had a weapon I would have brandished it.

I would have zero problem deciding to break a window to save a child. I would wait a few minutes after getting the child's attention. ( just to see if the parents come back)You can tell if the child is hot, sweaty, and in danger. I would also dial 911.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:16 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I entered a Target recently and saw as I walked through the parking lot a huge, expensive SUV with three children locked inside. I live in Arizona. It was hot. I went immediately to Customer Service and got in line. When I finally got to the counter to tell an associate, she told me I would have to wait for a manager. I wanted almost ten minutes. Then the manager told me he couldn't do anything (on the grounds Target didn't own the parking lot, their landlord did) and "if I wanted to stick around" he would call security and have them deal with it. Another 10 minutes later a droopy-looking kid about 18 in an over-sized guard's uniform came on the scene. I told him what the car looked like, where it was parked, and the license number. He appeared VERY ANNOYED ... with me! No one would heed my advice to page the owner of the car and tell him or her to deal with the children.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:40 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I entered a Target recently and saw as I walked through the parking lot a huge, expensive SUV with three children locked inside. I live in Arizona. It was hot. I went immediately to Customer Service and got in line. When I finally got to the counter to tell an associate, she told me I would have to wait for a manager. I wanted almost ten minutes. Then the manager told me he couldn't do anything (on the grounds Target didn't own the parking lot, their landlord did) and "if I wanted to stick around" he would call security and have them deal with it. Another 10 minutes later a droopy-looking kid about 18 in an over-sized guard's uniform came on the scene. I told him what the car looked like, where it was parked, and the license number. He appeared VERY ANNOYED ... with me! No one would heed my advice to page the owner of the car and tell him or her to deal with the children.
Did you go back to check the car to see if the children were OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting