Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,475 times

Advertisements

shes very aggressive always fighting with everyone in the house and at the beginning she told me that she was leaving in august we are almost in October and she just keep telling me that she doesn't know when shes gonna leave, what can I do? if I take her stuff out and change the locks, can she sue me because I own the house?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-30-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 PM

87,957 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Not successfully.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM

4,352 posts, read 4,190,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiferna View Post
shes very aggressive always fighting with everyone in the house and at the beginning she told me that she was leaving in august we are almost in October and she just keep telling me that she doesn't know when shes gonna leave, what can I do? if I take her stuff out and change the locks, can she sue me because I own the house?
If she lives there, then you will have to evict her if she won't leave willingly. Contact your local sheriff's office to learn the procedure. If you let anyone stay in your house for a period of time, then they may accrue tenancy rights and it can become problematic to get them to leave.

What we have done is to help our son live somewhere else by paying his rent. We can't afford it right now, so he has moved back in, but he is used to living on his own now and wants to leave as soon as he can save some money. We are currently reminded why we paid so much for him NOT to live here.

Good luck with your daughter.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,689,480 times
You say that she is "very aggressive" and "always fighting." I would get an order of protection, so she couldn't live there, and then toss her and her stuff out on the street. If she tried to come back I'd call the cops on her.

She's 24. She'll figure it out after that.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:37 PM

366 posts, read 429,851 times
Yes. Your daughter is over 18. You are no longer required by law to provide for her, unless you are still considered a legal guardian. You would follow the same procedures that you would use for any other tenant

Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,618,976 times
1. Stop feeding her
2. Stop paying for her phone
3. Stop giving her money for clothes, gas, etc.
4. If she starts fighting aggressively and physically, call the police. If she hits you, press charges
5. Find out the landlord laws in your area, and then begin eviction proceedings. Technically, she gave you notice that she was leaving in August, but I doubt anything was in writing. WRITE her a letter, indicating that she needs to find new living arrangements effective (30,60 days from now, whatever the rules are). AND THEN ENFORCE IT. If it's 30 days, then tell her she has to be out by October 31st. On November 1st, her things get boxed up.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,921,671 times
This is a very sad thread. For whatever reason (parenting?), she's angry at the world. Just because the law says that at 18, a person is of age and doesn't/shouldn't need their parents anymore---most of us with sons/daughters of this age know that's not even close to being true. My only suggestion is: family counseling. Get the underlying angst out in the open with a qualified counselor. My gut says this issues goes beyond behavior issues with your daughter. Your home life sounds full of anger and hostility, No doubt all the pressure she's feeling to GET OUT by her own mom/dad is magnifying her helplessness (does she have a job?) and anger. I empathize with her--sorry.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 PM

994 posts, read 1,586,736 times
Quote:
If she's stuck in the hose, just apply more water pressure hahaha...

If she won't leave the house, I'd suggest that you just kick her out. If she didn't sign any lease with you I'm guessing that she has to leave if you ask her to. That's a tricky area and I'd ask a pro about that.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,801,950 times
Quote:
Find out the eviction process in your state. Since she lives in the house you have to legally evict her. You do not have to allow her to live in your house but you do need to go through a legal eviction to get her out.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,549,990 times
Quote:
This is very sad. As a parent, you would, I hope, be willing to do anything you could to help your child. The only reasons you would not, I would assume, are if you felt you were in danger by having your daughter in the house or if you felt your daughter were in danger. If you want her out for another reason, I don't know if I can agree with you. If she's being a nuisance, rebuke her and remind her that she is still living under your roof. If she's required to pay rent and doesn't have a job, help her look for one and assign her chores to help her earn her keep in the meantime. If she's getting into petty squabbles with people, talk with her and find out the issue. Help her in every way you can if she is trying. Evict her only as a last resort. It is a desperate move to put your own offspring on the street; she may resent you when you are older and your life is in her hands, especially if there was an easier solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting