Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Where did he say he "looks down" on anything girly or feminine? He merely said he wouldn't allow his boy to involve himself in a show clearly meant for girls.

I have a 4 year old and there is no way I would let him play with girls toys. And if I had a girl I wouldn't let her play with boys toys. It's sickening that thinking that way is viewed as sexist by people. Girls are girls and have girls toys, and boys are boys and have boys toys. Nobody is looking at females as being inferior because of choices in toys, get over yourself.
Seriously, there is no such thing as a girl toy or a boy toy. Children like all kinds of things. Girls can play with cars, trucks, legos, dolls and doll houses. Boys can play with dolls and dollhouses, cars, trucks and legos. Boys learn to be daddies by playing with dolls. Girls learn to be mommies by playing with dolls. Also, both boys and girls learn a lot from cars, trucks, balls, legos and science toys.

The Little Girl from the 1981 LEGO Ad is All Grown Up, and She

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Lshobg1Wt2M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 05:03 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously, there is no such thing as a girl toy or a boy toy. Children like all kinds of things. Girls can play with cars, trucks, legos, dolls and doll houses. Boys can play with dolls and dollhouses, cars, trucks and legos. Boys learn to be daddies by playing with dolls. Girls learn to be mommies by playing with dolls. Also, both boys and girls learn a lot from cars, trucks, balls, legos and science toys.

EXACTLY! I will be so glad when these sexist pieces of **** will go the way of the dinosaur and will meet their good friends Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Muhammad, Genghis Khan etc. and be a distant memory!

Old 12-24-2014, 05:24 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

No, just no. Completely wrong, and no.

I never played house with dolls, and here I am a pretty damn good dad. My father and his father and his father and his father and so on and so on, none of them played with dolls. Because dolls are for girls, or homosexual feminine boys. Barbies are for girls and are not toys boys should be playing with. Call it sexist or whatever you want, but it's fact. Go check the marketing on Barbies and other blatant girl toys and show me where they're marketed to boys.

People like you are going to make this world a very, very scary place if not kept in check. Luckily you seem to be the minority, hopefully it stays that way.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
No, just no. Completely wrong, and no.

I never played house with dolls, and here I am a pretty damn good dad. My father and his father and his father and his father and so on and so on, none of them played with dolls. Because dolls are for girls, or homosexual feminine boys. Barbies are for girls and are not toys boys should be playing with. Call it sexist or whatever you want, but it's fact. Go check the marketing on Barbies and other blatant girl toys and show me where they're marketed to boys.

People like you are going to make this world a very, very scary place if not kept in check. Luckily you seem to be the minority, hopefully it stays that way.
Just because you and your dad did not play with dolls does not mean that dolls are only for girls and should be forbidden for boys. I don't like barbies for girls or boys, but if my kids wanted one, I might buy it and if they played with it, that would be fine.

The marketing you see has to do with ad executives who think like you.

Frankly, you are becoming the minority and I hope this continues to evolve. Children are individuals and they want to play with toys they are interested in. Also, note that GI Joe is a doll marketed to boys. (I don't like GI Joe either, but the appeal to kids is there).

http://www.yoyo.com/html/sg/baby-doll-for-boys.html

What about play kitchens? Men are some of the best chefs. Both boys and girls are featured in the ads for this one from walmart

Little Tikes Super Chef Kitchen - Walmart.com

Old 12-24-2014, 10:48 AM

Please show me some statistics to back up your claim that logical, traditional thinking people are becoming the minority. Thanks.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Please show me some statistics to back up your claim that logical, traditional thinking people are becoming the minority. Thanks.
You are not a logical thinking person. Traditional gender roles have been going away for a long time. Look at the support for gay marriage. The fact is that parents are simply no longer raising girls to be prissy little ladies or boys to be totally macho.

There are, of course, differences between men and women and between boys and girls, but children are individuals and unique. Children become aware of gender very early, but in modern technological societies, there is less acceptance that this should mean children must do specific activities and not do others. It is interesting though that even today, infants are *perceived* in certain ways according to their gender. Parents do treat infants differently, but that does not mean they *should* do so. Toy preferences often reflect not what the child would really like, but the reinforcement given them by the adults around them. It is hard to break through this, but many parents are doing so.

There is a study here that shows this (it's a word document)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...82001339,d.eXY

Quote:
Before 18 months of age, children do not reliably identify gender differences when viewing photographs of males and females
Quote:
Condry and Condry (1976) showed participants a video of a 9 month old infant reacting to various stimuli. Although everyone saw the same video, half of the participants were told that the infant in the video was female; the remaining participants were told that the infant was male. When the infant started crying in response to an aversive stimulus, the participants viewing a “male” infant said that he was angry and the participants viewing a “female” infant reported that she was scared.
Here is another study showing how we as adults stereotype kids (it's a pdf document). It's a review of the literature and studies.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...82001339,d.eXY

Also, look at how many women are entering traditionally male fields like engineering.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:39 PM

Ok, you apparently just don't understand, so I'm not going to bicker with you on this and go back and forth.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:10 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
For those that don't know what a brony is, it's a boy that likes My Little Pony. My son recently turned 11 and is a self declared brony. This past week he has been telling/asking me about telling friends at school but he is afraid all the other kids will make fun of him. In a perfect world, I want him to be able to tell whomever he wants but I know kids can be mean. I don't want to say for him to tell people if he can handle bullies, he shouldn't have to. But is it wrong to make him keep it a secret as well. Not sure what the right answer is.
Get him involves in martial arts and football/hockey. Seriously.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:34 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Get him involves in martial arts and football/hockey. Seriously.
My son is in martial arts and soccer. He still enjoys MLP...as do many of his male Sensis. One even sports a MLP tattoo.

Heck, I enjoyed He-Man, playing with Tonka trucks, playing in the mud and dirt bikes while growing up. I somehow still managed to turn into a productive member of society. Who would have imagined

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-08-2015 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Corrected typo at poster's request.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:24 AM

543 posts, read 999,780 times
I looooooooooooooooooooooove MLP!!!!!

Discord referencing Hunter S. Thompson

Both my son and I love the show. Even my hubs tolerates the show. It has tons of references to other awesome shows, like "Star Trek" and "Dr. Who". What's NOT to love about "My Little Pony"?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting