Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:27 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
You sound very young and spoiled. Come back in a few years when you understand finances (ie. you're paying your own bills without mommy and daddy) and be indignant then.
Maybe, but I'm naturally a saver. I have around 10k saved up (I'm only 21), and I will live with my parents after college graduation for a few years (they have no issue with this) and save up whatever I earn til I feel more financially secure.

I would prefer to live by myself after college (and I'll have the means to do so), and I would have liked to have studied international affairs or history in college, but I'm making sacrifices now to ensure that I will be financially secure in as little time as possible.

If I have a child, I don't want to limit them because I can't afford the basic necessities (college is a necessity of the modern world, in my opinion). I find others opinions on this interesting. I feel that a parent's responsibility is to give their child the best opportunities. From what I can see, not paying for college does more harm than good.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 10-05-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 05:43 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
I read this article
Fewer parents helping to pay for college - Jun. 26, 2014

I don't know much about their sources or anything, but it's saying only 77% of parents plan to help their kids out with college.

Why have a kid if you don't want to (or have the means to) help the kid succeed?

Say what you like about college, but good luck moving anywhere without a college degree.

Even a masters degree is becoming a pre req for a lot of good jobs.

I have no idea why anyone would not want to financially assist their children to attain a college degree.
Also, I agree with you that today, a masters degree is needed in many fields.

YES! College is expensive. It is not possible to "work your way through college" as it was a generation ago.

There are groups who are disseminating information, misinformation; that a college degree is "useless".
Untrue. What is true is that without a college degree you are basically lost. With one, you may need a masters.

It is what it is.

There are parents who for some reason want their children to start from square one and work for everything they have in life. I do not on any level, connect with this mentality.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
I read this article
Fewer parents helping to pay for college - Jun. 26, 2014

I don't know much about their sources or anything, but it's saying only 77% of parents plan to help their kids out with college.

Why have a kid if you don't want to (or have the means to) help the kid succeed?

Say what you like about college, but good luck moving anywhere without a college degree.

Even a masters degree is becoming a pre req for a lot of good jobs.

What' wrong with the children doing without their parents help and learning to live on nothing while working and going to college?
The best success a parent can give a child is to teach them how to be independent and earn everything they want.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Maybe, but I'm naturally a saver. I have around 10k saved up (I'm only 21), and I will live with my parents after college graduation for a few years (they have no issue with this) and save up whatever I earn til I feel more financially secure.

I would prefer to live by myself after college (and I'll have the means to do so), and I would have liked to have studied international affairs or history in college, but I'm making sacrifices now to ensure that I will be financially secure in as little time as possible.

If I have a child, I don't want to limit them because I can't afford the basic necessities (college is a necessity of the modern world, in my opinion). I find others opinions on this interesting. I feel that a parent's responsibility is to give their child the best opportunities. From what I can see, not paying for college does more harm than good.

A parents responsibility ends when that child turns 18 years old, after that you all say you are adults and you want to be treated as such. So go out get a job or two, pay for your own college, utilities, rent, groceries, insurance, gasoline, cell phones, lap tops, clothing and food.
Be an actual adult and earn everything you want.

You are taking the easy way out and not sacrificing much by living with Mom and Dad.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:00 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have no idea why anyone would not want to financially assist their children to attain a college degree.
Also, I agree with you that today, a masters degree is needed in many fields.

YES! College is expensive. It is not possible to "work your way through college" as it was a generation ago.

There are groups who are disseminating information, misinformation; that a college degree is "useless".
Untrue. What is true is that without a college degree you are basically lost. With one, you may need a masters.

It is what it is.

There are parents who for some reason want their children to start from square one and work for everything they have in life. I do not on any level, connect with this mentality.
So while I personally agree that parents should want to help their children pay for college and that a college degree is important, the OP is insinuating that people who can't afford to pay for their children's college shouldn't have children. That's a lot different than an argument that parents who can afford to do so should help with college costs.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Parents owe their children a safe home, food, and care. Yes, parents owe their kids diapers, not a 100% paid for college education. Just because they can't pay for all of it doesn't mean they don't chip in by paying a portion or letting them stay at home rent-free, etc. Most parents do what they can - if only parents who could afford a college education for one (or more!) of their children then a lot would NOT have kids and that would be a problem for society! Kids of a certain age have to start to pull their own weight by getting scholarships, jobs, and taking out loans. BTW, if they pay for your college, chances are good YOU"LL end up paying for their retirement / old age!

Old 10-05-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What' wrong with the children doing without their parents help and learning to live on nothing while working and going to college?
The best success a parent can give a child is to teach them how to be independent and earn everything they want.
If you think a $8/hr job is going to pay the $20k/year costs of going to college (public college by the way), maybe you should retake a math class or two.

Not to mention working 40/hrs a week and majoring in a technical STEM field or accounting/finance (realistically the only subjects that will lead to a decent job out of college) with a respectable GPA isn't exactly achievable for the average person.

In my Comp Sci program, the only people who work full time at any job are the people going back to college. Of those people going back to college, 75% work for the college (thus going to college for free) AND are taking around 7 years to get their degrees (They can only take 1 or 2 classes at a time).

Old 10-05-2014, 06:44 PM

245 posts, read 304,427 times
a master's degree is the abilility to fly, these days. a bachelor's degee is just chick-feathers. When you have a kid, you are supposed to RAISE them, all the way, properly,and without coerciing other people (via taxes) to carry half of YOUR burden.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:51 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
There are the parents who truly cannot afford to help pay to college, and there are the parents who choose not to help despite being in a financial position to do so.

I can certainly understand the first one, but have a harder time with the second.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Parents owe their children a safe home, food, and care. Yes, parents owe their kids diapers, not a 100% paid for college education. Just because they can't pay for all of it doesn't mean they don't chip in by paying a portion or letting them stay at home rent-free, etc. Most parents do what they can - if only parents who could afford a college education for one (or more!) of their children then a lot would NOT have kids and that would be a problem for society! Kids of a certain age have to start to pull their own weight by getting scholarships, jobs, and taking out loans. BTW, if they pay for your college, chances are good YOU"LL end up paying for their retirement / old age!
I should clarify, but I'm really not arguing people should pay 100% for their children's education, but you should at least have something saved up to help your child out.

btw, I also received scholarships, and I've been working part time since the age of 16. The total cost of my college education will be 50k (it could have been around 5k less if I lived in a cheaper place, but my parents insisted I live where I currently live).

//50k isn't going to make or break my parents retirement funds (my parents have made it a point to share their finances with me in order to teach me about savings, spending, investments, etc).

If 50k makes or breaks your retirement fund, maybe you should get a financial planner.

I really don't think finding a way to save up around 50k per child in 18 years is really too much of a sacrifice to ensure your kid has a decent start in life. It's around $2,800/year per child if you saved up from birth. If you can't put that much away a year per child, should you really be reproducing?

**I think 50k is a reasonable amount. It's two years ticket price (including room, books, and food) at a typical state school. You really shouldn't be paying ticket price for any college, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting