Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:28 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Well darn now I have to send my children back to the milk man...

I cant wait until some of you have children and they misbehave in public! Youll know what it feels like to be that parent with that kid and all eyes are on you. IT DOESNT FEEL GOOD.

Sometimes its not about your child is in need of parenting, sometimes the child is having a very rough time. My 6yr old has sensory issues so if you and I were at a park and they had fireworks, shed be the one screaming her head off despite how many times i cuddle and say " shh, its ok" while you give me the stink eye, expect me to leave or expect me to never leave my house until shes better.
If you know that fireworks would terrorize your child why on earth would you take them, not leave and then be upset that her screaming bothers those around you and you are getting dirty looks? Why ruin my experience because your kid can't handle it?

Sensory issues or just fear, it does not matter, the child is in a situation that they cannot handle, the reason is not relevant, IMO the parent needs to remove the child from the situation. Its not always convenient but some of the toughest aspects of parenting are making decisions that may not be convenient for us but are in the best interest of the child as well as others around you.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:30 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peep531
My tolerance is very low for children who sample food with their fingers in buffet style restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Texas is sounding worse and worse.
So you suggest kids have to do this in order to make all people happy? Or you consider it good manners? Wow.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A couple's small child walked over, touching several of the loaves of bread and muffins with his hands, putting his hands in his mouth, then touching other loaves of bread again. His parents made no move to correct him.
Ebola will teach people good manners

Old 10-11-2014, 08:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I find myself quick to feel annoyed by normal childhood behavior when I'm out of sorts, but kids truly behaving badly isn't all that common. Really, it's not. Adults, on the other hand, can be complete boors. When a child is loud and inconsiderate in public, I can chalk it up to not knowing any better. But when an adult driving a $60k car and wearing enough jewelry to put my kid through his first year of college walks into a restaurant yakking on her phone and lifts her finger to signal to the cashier to wait until she's done when there are twelve people waiting in line should know better. Likewise, the four men sitting next to me cursing their way through the meal. I think the problem outlined in the initial post is less about children and more about clueless adults, who come with and without kids.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzodiva54 View Post
And Pegotty, I would find it hard to believe that you actually have kids of your own, with your idealized version of what childhood should be. I suspect you of being an observer in this game.

I have four, thanks. :-)

Old 10-11-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
These are the exact same reasons parents of unruly children use as to why their children are unruly.
It is never the parents fault that they have yet to teach their children to behave, use manners and find their indoor voice when they are indoors.

The original poster is not saying to hide the children, they are saying to control your children, do not just sit there and tell them to hush. Teach them to mind you as a parent and teach them to sit quietly in the Doctor's waiting room. Teach them not to disrupt others, teach them manners, teach them how to become responsible adults that others will look up to and gravitate toward because they are not unruly run amoks with no idea how to control their bodies, voices or emotions.
My point is, where are parents supposed to teach their kids to behave if they can't take them out where they might be disruptive? I said in my original post that there are places children shouldn't go because they will be a disruption and that isn't fair to people trying to enjoy a meal or the theatre. But, the grocery store? Come on? Kids sometimes act up. And parents teach them. But one conversation isn't going to permanently change behavior. You have to repeat things with kids. It doesn't sink in right away. My kids have all had temper tantrums in the store. None of them do it anymore. It was a process. It didn't happen overnight. So if a kid is having a temper tantrum what sort of control would the OP recommend? Or what if they're just crying because they are tired, but you really need to get groceries because you don't have anything in the house for dinner? Why should this be such a big deal to someone? Have a little compassion for heavens sakes.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:07 PM

73 posts, read 89,847 times
It is called swats.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:11 PM

17 posts, read 23,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wait, so "misbehaving" is now the same as out of control raging tantrums that the OP was talking about.
throwing a tantrum isn't misbehaving? alright....

Old 10-11-2014, 10:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedman View Post
throwing a tantrum isn't misbehaving? alright....
That's not what I said.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDXUFan View Post
It is called swats.
You are suggesting smacking a child who is crying because they are tired? Has that worked for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting