Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... you would have to have cameras covering every square foot. And even then, I don't know if you COULD prevent it, if the nanny is intent on harm.
Nannies are non-existent in my area. Most moms stay at home, at least until the child is in school full-time.
Sitters are children of family friends or close neighbors.
I find this very unusual. No working mothers? Or if they do work outside the home they have access to close neighbors and family friends? Sitters are different from nannies. Sitters are usually "children" as you say for a few hours while nannies are all day. Very unusual community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Yes, there are working mothers. But as I stated, they go back to work when their kids start school full time.

Yes, sitters are different from nannies. And yes they are the children of family/friends... teenagers/collegiates who are looking to pick up a few bucks.

What is so unusual? That nannies are not common in my area or that teen & twenty-somethings are sitters?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:11 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Meh... you would have to have cameras covering every square foot. And even then, I don't know if you COULD prevent it, if the nanny is intent on harm.
No, the Nanny would know they were installed, not where, or how many. Of course, a person intent on doing harm will do so anyway. But, knowing she was being watched would hopefully be a deterrent.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:34 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No, the Nanny would know they were installed, not where, or how many. Of course, a person intent on doing harm will do so anyway. But, knowing she was being watched would hopefully be a deterrent.
The nanny shouldn't hurt your child no matter what. Besides, if I were a parent who installed the devices, I would be concerned the nanny who wanted to harm the child would just destroy them if he/she knew about their existence.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The nanny shouldn't hurt your child no matter what. Besides, if I were a parent who installed the devices, I would be concerned the nanny who wanted to harm the child would just destroy them if he/she knew about their existence.
Ya think?. If the nanny was told they are being filmed, but not where the cameras are, it would be pretty obvious on the tape if she suddenly started searching. Which would be a red flag anyway.

Cameras will never replace checking references and doing due diligence before leaving your child with a stranger.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No, the Nanny would know they were installed, not where, or how many.
Gotcha!

Old 10-17-2014, 12:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I find this very unusual. No working mothers? Or if they do work outside the home they have access to close neighbors and family friends? Sitters are different from nannies. Sitters are usually "children" as you say for a few hours while nannies are all day. Very unusual community.
It's not unusual. My community is similar to what she describes.

Then again, Pittchick and I are both from Pittsburgh. It must be a regional thing.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:

What is so unusual? That nannies are not common in my area or that teen & twenty-somethings are sitters?
What I find unusual is that women in your area usually put their careers on hold for 6 years after each child. And that it would be unusual in your area to find a two income family who hires a nanny to care for kids in the kids in the home. Why are there so many day care providers and centers in your area if most mothers stay at home till the kids hit school age?

301 in this listing alone. And that doesn't even count the many unlicensed neighborhood centers and homes.

http://www.yellowpages.com/pittsburg...ters-nurseries

Old 10-17-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
What I find unusual is that women in your area usually put their careers on hold for 6 years after each child.
Everyone has their priorities!

Quote:
And that it would be unusual in your area to find a two income family who hires a nanny to care for kids in the kids in the home.
Why? If there are two income, that means the mom - who was home to take care of her children - went back to work once the children were in school full time. Why would one need a full-time nanny then?

Oh... and I do not live in the city of Pittsburgh, so I can't say about your link. I have no idea if 300 is a lot for a major city....

Old 10-17-2014, 01:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
What I find unusual is that women in your area usually put their careers on hold for 6 years after each child. And that it would be unusual in your area to find a two income family who hires a nanny to care for kids in the kids in the home. Why are there so many day care providers and centers in your area if most mothers stay at home till the kids hit school age?

301 in this listing alone. And that doesn't even count the many unlicensed neighborhood centers and homes.

Day Care Centers Nurseries in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com
Why are you beating the career drum? Are you forgetting that you're a SAHM of teenagers?

I don't live in the city of Pittsburgh either. I'm in a suburb.

Of course there are working mothers, but SAHMs are extremely common in this region. There being an abundance of daycares just proves we have working parents, not that nannies are common. We're not saying that there are no families with nannies in the area. Affluent families employ nannies for working and SAHMs. Some even employ two nannies to cover all waking hours. Middle and upper class families tend to use family, friend, neighbor or daycare more than nannies but some use nannies---which is usually just a fancy name for a college student. Working parents needing daycare are two income households and single parents. Plus, there are going to be daycare centers since many people start working after the children are school aged. I did it differently. I worked until my children were school aged and haven't worked since, except for a couple of years in the early 2000s and a couple years a few years ago. I guess not all women are career driven and want to stay home when it's financially possible, and this region makes it possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting