Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times

Advertisements

Ok here's my morning-after-Halloween update. I'll admit that some of the posts here (along with my lack of adequate decision making and planning) caused me to go the "safe route" and buy the typical mix of Snickers, M&Ms, etc. I happened to have 4 glow sticks that I put in the bottom of the candy bowl because it looked cool. I'd say close to half the kids, after I told them they could take 3 candies, asked if they could have a glow stick instead! (As trick or treating was winding down I did finally let kids actually take the glow sticks). Additionally, my next door neighbor was sitting beside me (we sat out on the sidewalk in front of our houses because we both have 12-15 steps leading up to our house), and he had the typical candy as well as mini jars of bubbles and play-dough, and squishy, creepy creature rings. The younger ones loved the bubbles & play-dough, and some of the older boys (age 8-10ish) loved the rings.

Next year I think I'll do an assortment. In fact, I'm going to see what Walgreen's etc has on clearance today (treat bags, stickers, etc----NOT candy, LOl!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I, too have a report:

We (well, DH) bought a bag of 150 pieces of candy, e.g. snickers, M&Ms, etc. We also bought some trinkets, e.g. glow sticks, little tubs of play dough, some little notebooks, glow in the dark lizards. We had 26 Trick or Treaters. They each got 2 pieces of candy, plus a toy. The glow sticks were a huge hit, the play dough a little less popular, ditto the lizards and no one took the little notebooks, even though they had cute covers (IMO). The older kids weren't interested in the toys. For the first time in many years, we had no older kids with pillowcases and no costumes. Maybe because it was Friday night and they were all at parties?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:25 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Ok here's my morning-after-Halloween update. I'll admit that some of the posts here (along with my lack of adequate decision making and planning) caused me to go the "safe route" and buy the typical mix of Snickers, M&Ms, etc. I happened to have 4 glow sticks that I put in the bottom of the candy bowl because it looked cool. I'd say close to half the kids, after I told them they could take 3 candies, asked if they could have a glow stick instead! (As trick or treating was winding down I did finally let kids actually take the glow sticks). Additionally, my next door neighbor was sitting beside me (we sat out on the sidewalk in front of our houses because we both have 12-15 steps leading up to our house), and he had the typical candy as well as mini jars of bubbles and play-dough, and squishy, creepy creature rings. The younger ones loved the bubbles & play-dough, and some of the older boys (age 8-10ish) loved the rings.

Next year I think I'll do an assortment. In fact, I'm going to see what Walgreen's etc has on clearance today (treat bags, stickers, etc----NOT candy, LOl!).
Thanks for the update! That's pretty much the same sentiment I'd found through 20 years of handing out treats in my neighborhood. Last night we went the traditional fun-size candy route, and not one kid showed any sort of excitement about what they were getting. I have much more fun at the door giving out something a little different, because the kids get excited about it.

And, like you said, if it's a slower night than you expected, you can keep the leftovers for next year!

Old 11-01-2014, 09:28 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I got the big bag of mixed Tootsie Rolls, Tootsie Pops, etc., plus a bag each of Butterfingers and Almond Joy. Mixed them up in a big pot and the kids to each take five once I realized there weren't a lot of kids out. Plus I probably missed the youngest ones because I didn't get home from work till after 6.

Around 7:30, I took my witch hat and went to meet friends for a few drinks. I left the pot on the front porch. When I came back, more was gone but there were a few pieces left. Nice to see someone didn't just take advantage and take it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting