Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
If you just gave some cheap plastic thing, it would probably not go over well.
Maybe the kids in my neighborhood are less spoiled than that. We get over 200 kids every year. I can't afford to give out high priced items, so yes, they get cheap plastic spider rings and things like that. The response I get is always delight. Most of the time, the kids reach in the bag to pull it out and put it on before walking down the sidewalk. I get lots of "cool, mom, look a ring!" Never been egged or TP'd. But we're a blue collar working class neighborhood where most of the kids have been taught to be thankful for what they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,740 times
How about some mints?..... or some banaka???

I mean... they'll need to freshen up their breath after stinking their mouths up with all that candy! I'm sort of being funny with this post but at the same time I think it's a valid non-candy suggestion! The mints especially of course....

Old 10-17-2014, 12:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Maybe the kids in my neighborhood are less spoiled than that. We get over 200 kids every year. I can't afford to give out high priced items, so yes, they get cheap plastic spider rings and things like that. The response I get is always delight. Most of the time, the kids reach in the bag to pull it out and put it on before walking down the sidewalk. I get lots of "cool, mom, look a ring!" Never been egged or TP'd. But we're a blue collar working class neighborhood where most of the kids have been taught to be thankful for what they get.
I grew up in a low income area where the kids were thankful for what they got, too. They might do the ring thing in front of you in order to not be rude. However, once the kids got home it most likely went straight in the trash or was forgotten about. When kids at school talked about trick-or-treating the things mentioned were never the cool plastic spider ring the one house gave.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:38 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I grew up in a low income area where the kids were thankful for what they got, too. They might do the ring thing in front of you in order to not be rude. However, once the kids got home it most likely went straight in the trash or was forgotten about. When kids at school talked about trick-or-treating the things mentioned were never the cool plastic spider ring the one house gave.
Not everyone gives those things out for whatever reason and most of us didn't get rings and other items because they just weren't around. I'm sure people throw out candy too and I'm sure many of us have gotten lousy candy like butter rum and starlight mints or butterscotch candy or even ribbon candies. My daughter has gotten candy like that, too. She says, "Here mom. You might like this." Whatever candy we don't want just comes with me to the office rather than throwing it in the garbage. It baffles me that people actually complain about what their kids get.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Over the years my kids have received all kinds of things while trick or treating, little flashlights, hot dogs, Halloween themed knick-knacks, glow sticks, mini Coca-Cola bottles, toothbrushes, play dough, Krispy Kreme coupons. There's no right or wrong. And my kids loved getting all of those things as well as candy.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Forty years ago.
Well it has been a while since I lived in the city. Just make them a liitle bigger then.

Anyway the bowl worked just as well. Kids liked getting a whole handful of pennies.
Seems like a lot but its not.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
I forgot to add, my kids loved getting half-dollars too.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:51 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
When kids at school talked about trick-or-treating the things mentioned were never the cool plastic spider ring the one house gave.
I suppose that's important to some people. But I don't set out to be the house everyone is talking about the next day. With over 200 kids as it is, I don't need to encourage more traffic!

Old 10-17-2014, 12:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I suppose that's important to some people. But I don't set out to be the house everyone is talking about the next day. With over 200 kids as it is, I don't need to encourage more traffic!
The OP is asking if the kids will like it, though.

OP, I think the best thing you could do is ask around your neighborhood if it would be something the kids would like. The kids in your neighborhood might like it whereas the kids where Scarlet I (two completely different places) live would not.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,697 times
Glow sticks would be a big hit in my neighborhood.

One year, someone gave out small stuffed animals - my daughter was THRILLED.

I hand out fruit snacks and goldfish. I don't know any kids that won't eat those. The best part is that any left over get dumped in the snack box for the kids to eat on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting