Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times

Advertisements

All awesome ideas - I'm glad I came across this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 06:20 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And why do they call those little one-bite things "fun-size" anyway? You know what a fun-size candy bar is? It's the one pound chocolate bar with almonds that costs almost five bucks. Now that is FUN.
LOL! Birds of a feather. If I'm not feeling ill, I haven't eaten enough chocolate yet, haha.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:41 PM

I guess I just never had the expectation of receiving anything useful on Halloween--as a kid or a parent. It's the ceremony that is supposed to matter, not the quality of what you receive. Dressing up, going out with friends, looking at the decorations people put in their yards, the costumes!, running the streets at night! To me, that's what Halloween was about. Of course, the finale was dumping all the loot out when we got home and sorting through it all. It never mattered much what got put in the "hate it" pile (hard candy, black licorice--eww--Jolly Ranchers, banana Laffy Taffy--eww) or how big that pile was. Certainly having things we didn't like in the bag never ruined our evening. Nor could we have told anyone what house they came from. At the time, we were too busy rushing to the next house to even pay attention. Mom always went through and pulled out the things folks must have spent time on--homemade cookies, popcorn balls, fruit. If we couldn't tell her what house it came from (see previous sentence), she tossed it fearing it might have been poisoned. I don't recall being broken up about that either. The fun of that sorting moment was the variety, the gluttony of so much to choose from, and of course, making trades with friends.

Moral of the story: Don't obsess over what to hand out on Halloween. If you want to make the evening special, go balls out on the yard decorations. Better yet, put on your own costume for answering the door. That's the stuff the kids remember.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I guess I just never had the expectation of receiving anything useful on Halloween--as a kid or a parent. It's the ceremony that is supposed to matter, not the quality of what you receive. Dressing up, going out with friends, looking at the decorations people put in their yards, the costumes!, running the streets at night! To me, that's what Halloween was about. Of course, the finale was dumping all the loot out when we got home and sorting through it all. It never mattered much what got put in the "hate it" pile (hard candy, black licorice--eww--Jolly Ranchers, banana Laffy Taffy--eww) or how big that pile was. Certainly having things we didn't like in the bag never ruined our evening. Nor could we have told anyone what house they came from. At the time, we were too busy rushing to the next house to even pay attention. Mom always went through and pulled out the things folks must have spent time on--homemade cookies, popcorn balls, fruit. If we couldn't tell her what house it came from (see previous sentence), she tossed it fearing it might have been poisoned. I don't recall being broken up about that either. The fun of that sorting moment was the variety, the gluttony of so much to choose from, and of course, making trades with friends.

Moral of the story: Don't obsess over what to hand out on Halloween. If you want to make the evening special, go balls out on the yard decorations. Better yet, put on your own costume for answering the door. That's the stuff the kids remember.

I distinctly remember kids only being excited about the candy. Only one house did anything with the yard anyway and what costumes the kids wore wasn't a big deal. It sounds like you and I (and the other kids in my area) had very different Halloween experiences, and there's nothing wrong with that.

All I'm trying to say is that you really shouldn't say what kids do and do not remember about things as it isn't the same for everyone.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
All I'm trying to say is that you really shouldn't say what kids do and do not remember about things as it isn't the same for everyone.
Yes, just as no one should really say what kids do and do not like to receive as treats on Halloween.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:58 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
I distinctly remember kids only being excited about the candy. Only one house did anything with the yard anyway and what costumes the kids wore wasn't a big deal. It sounds like you and I (and the other kids in my area) had very different Halloween experiences, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Parents tend to know what the kids like....and np one is saying that people have to hand out specific items or anything at all. If you do not want to take part in the tradition than don't. ...completely a personal choice. ...but Halloween is not a health food convention at at a whole food coop.....it's a holiday to dress up. ...scare ourselves and get treats...if your treat is a stalk of broccoli. ..you've got bigger problems than most kids.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I usually get about 200 trick or treaters because they drive to our neighborhood from all the apartment complexes nearby. I buy 10 lbs of cheap candy and give that out. I buy the kind my kids don't like so that there's still some left to give out on Halloween. This year it's mostly lollipops and chiclets that we bought.

I make goodie bags for my adult neighbors, usually with homemade cookies and some chocolates so they have something to snack on while their kids are trick or treating. I always set up a table in my driveway with scary things and a bunch of candles and my husband and I dress up. I try not to be too scary but the little kids are usually too scared to come up the driveway until I take off my mask.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't know any kids that are allowed to eat candy one day a year.
We were not allowed to have candy as kids. Except on Halloween.

No, we weren't any weird religion or vegans or anything. Our parents just didn't think eating candy was something that should be encouraged or allowed. It wasn't a big deal, they just never bought it, so we never had any. And I don't recall sneaking down to the 7-11 to get any. We just grew up not caring for it.

Now? I eat half the candy my wife buys before it ever gets handed out.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:43 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Have kids changed so much that they now like getting non-candy for Halloween? When I was a kid in the 90s it was very much not appreciated.
I have to agree with this. As a kid in the 70's-80's the LAST thing you wanted was a non-candy treat. I mean you took it and were happy it wasnt a toothbrush but you certainly didnt welcome it.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:42 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Parents tend to know what the kids like....and np one is saying that people have to hand out specific items or anything at all. If you do not want to take part in the tradition than don't. ...completely a personal choice. ...but Halloween is not a health food convention at at a whole food coop.....it's a holiday to dress up. ...scare ourselves and get treats...if your treat is a stalk of broccoli. ..you've got bigger problems than most kids.

A stalk of broccoli is a good treat, and no, I don't have any problems.

And don't give out money; Haloween is disgusting enough without bringing money into it as a treat option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting