Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times

Advertisements

My 9 year old is washing her hands so many times during the day that they are red and chapped. She has done this on and off for years, usually for a couple weeks just before the holiday season and we've always thought it was just stress. This year she started sooner than usual, but this year has been more stressful than most...she didn't pass her math standardized test and she's in remedial math which she's upset about, and this summer we had to move out and put our belongings in storage while our house was repaired, and we stayed with her grandmother whose house was filthy (we were all washing our hands 50 times a day there). Now my daughter is going through much more toilet paper than usual...she used 3 double rolls yesterday. She also asked me to cut her hair because it kept touching things and she had to shower.

I'm going to talk to her pediatrician about this, but in the meantime, have you known any kids with issues like this? Is it a big deal, or is it something they grow out of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
That is not normal. Her behaviors are very concerning for OCD, and that is not something people usually just grow out of. It does sound like your daughter has been going through some stressful times, but excessive washing and cleanliness is not a normal or healthy way of coping. Three rolls of toilet paper per day? Please take her to the doctor.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,752 times
I have personally struggled with OCD in the past. That's definitely what this sounds like. I would get her to a therapist for help handling the stress. I have more problems with it when I'm under stress as well. Since it seems to come and go, I would guess it is a stress reaction, but understand that these things can get worse if left untreated and you really don't want that to happen.

A therapist can help her work through what is causing the stress in the first place and together you can make changes that will help her in daily life. Also, she'll learn to tools that will be helpful when the stress is outside of her control.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Definitely OCD, you'll probably need to work with a cognitive therapist.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:36 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
I agree with the others. Sounds like it may be OCD. The pediatrician doesn't diagnose that but they may have therapists and/or neurologists that they can recommend.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My 9 year old is washing her hands so many times during the day that they are red and chapped. She has done this on and off for years, usually for a couple weeks just before the holiday season and we've always thought it was just stress. This year she started sooner than usual, but this year has been more stressful than most...she didn't pass her math standardized test and she's in remedial math which she's upset about, and this summer we had to move out and put our belongings in storage while our house was repaired, and we stayed with her grandmother whose house was filthy (we were all washing our hands 50 times a day there). Now my daughter is going through much more toilet paper than usual...she used 3 double rolls yesterday. She also asked me to cut her hair because it kept touching things and she had to shower.

I'm going to talk to her pediatrician about this, but in the meantime, have you known any kids with issues like this? Is it a big deal, or is it something they grow out of?
My youngest son did the same thing with regards to the hand washing and the toilet paper, at about the same age. And, his hands paid the price. We moved from NJ to FL, which may have been the impetus.

We didn't take him to therapy. I bought cream for his hands, and put a plunger in his bathroom, and left him alone. I don't think it lasted more than 8 months before he realized the desire to scrub his hands wasn't
worth the sore chapped hands. He learned to plunge like a pro. Patience OP, this too will likely pass.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
She needs a therapist and they can help her with coping skills. Since it is escalating, time to get involved and help. If it was only one thing, maybe try some simple things, but you state with examples that it is escalating and affecting more of her life than her hands.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
It sounds like it could be OCD. I have a Master's in Psychology with a specialization in OCD, and although no one can tell for sure without seeing your daughter, these behaviors are not normal. I will join the chorus of the others and recommend you take your daughter to a therapist, preferably a cognitive behavioral therapist who can help her with her anxiety. The sooner it is dealt with, the easier the treatment is.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My youngest son did the same thing with regards to the hand washing and the toilet paper, at about the same age. And, his hands paid the price. We moved from NJ to FL, which may have been the impetus.

We didn't take him to therapy. I bought cream for his hands, and put a plunger in his bathroom, and left him alone. I don't think it lasted more than 8 months before he realized the desire to scrub his hands wasn't
worth the sore chapped hands. He learned to plunge like a pro. Patience OP, this too will likely pass.

I already bought the plunger and the hand cream Fortunately our plumbing isn't old and we don't have trees, so she's unlikely to cause any massive clogs. I'm thinking of buying cheaper toilet paper for her bathroom.

My husband is not wild about the idea of taking her to a therapist...he used to work at a kids' mental hospital and he doesn't want to think that our daughter could be one of "those kids." So I have to work on changing his thinking on this. Taking my daughter to the pediatrician and having the pediatrician recommend a therapist is probably the best way for him to see that it needs to be done.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I already bought the plunger and the hand cream Fortunately our plumbing isn't old and we don't have trees, so she's unlikely to cause any massive clogs. I'm thinking of buying cheaper toilet paper for her bathroom.

My husband is not wild about the idea of taking her to a therapist...he used to work at a kids' mental hospital and he doesn't want to think that our daughter could be one of "those kids." So I have to work on changing his thinking on this. Taking my daughter to the pediatrician and having the pediatrician recommend a therapist is probably the best way for him to see that it needs to be done.
If your daughter needed glasses, would your husband object because he didn't want to think his daughter was one of "those (nearsighted) kids"? Does he think this reflects on him in some way?

It would be close to negligent to let this slide because of your husband's views. OCD can be treated effectively, but your daughter needs help, and a visit to the pediatrician would be a good start.

Also, reassure your husband that behaviors of this kind are not uncommon - I went through a phase of experiencing great discomfort because of wrinkles in the soles of my socks when I was about eight. My poor mother had to adjust my socks over and over again - my own efforts didn't seem effective. Not sure what was going on, but I clearly remember how uncomfortable I was due to those little wrinkles.

I grew up normally and soon outgrew this, but my parents did consult my pediatrician, who simply stated that some children went through a period in which they were excessively sensitive to touch , and to go with the flow. Something similar may causing your daughter's behaviors, but it needs to be checked out professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting