Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:52 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Like I said IMO! My kids are now 30, 27 and 26. My kids never fought when they were little. And they very rarely fight now. All my daughter got in daycare was sexually abused. Thanks, but no thanks. My children were wanted. Every one of them.
You've got issues. You married a selfish guy who happens to be an only child and sll only children are selfish. Your child was a victim of a crime and all kids that go to daycare are abused and have parents that didn't want them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:21 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
No. That's not what I said or implied. My kids father was not an only child. And yes. My oldest was sexually abused at the day care she was in. When I found out, I removed her and never put her or my other 2 in day care. When i worked as a nurse doing 60 hour weeks, family watched them. As far as my second husband being an only child....yes, he was, and yes, he had issues because he was raised as an only child. Do I have issues? My husband was killed and the guy who did it, was never punished for it. That's all I'll say because it takes away from the original question asked.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No. That's not what I said or implied. My kids father was not an only child. And yes. My oldest was sexually abused at the day care she was in. When I found out, I removed her and never put her or my other 2 in day care. When i worked as a nurse doing 60 hour weeks, family watched them. As far as my second husband being an only child....yes, he was, and yes, he had issues because he was raised as an only child. Do I have issues? My husband was killed and the guy who did it, was never punished for it. That's all I'll say because it takes away from the original question asked.
When you spread lies about only children you are going to be called out on them no matter if you try to defend them.

Your comments do pertain to the OP'S question because some parents never want a second child....and it works out great for them until people start with this standard "I knew an only who had issues" bs.

Guess what? I know of people with siblings that are horrid, back stabbing sobs.....do I get to blame it on the fact that they had siblings and state anyone that has siblings must have the same issue? Bet you don't like it when the shoes on the other foot so much.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
My daughter was born back in '86 when I was 19. Afterward, I was pretty certain she'd be it for me. The situation was less than optimal and her birth was very difficult.

Fast forward to 2002....I meet my now husband via Match.com and we marry a year later. He'd had a vas back in 1996, right after his second child was born. We weren't planning to have kids together for that reason, but over the next few years, we changed our minds and he had a successful vas reversal. I became pregnant rather quickly (our chances were only 20% for a successful pregnancy and birth based on age and other factors) and went on to have my son in 2007. I was 40

Essentially, I have the unique claim to tell people that I will have raised two "only children" by the time all is said and done. They are 21 years apart.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:20 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
When you spread lies about only children you are going to be called out on them no matter if you try to defend them.

Your comments do pertain to the OP'S question because some parents never want a second child....and it works out great for them until people start with this standard "I knew an only who had issues" bs.

Guess what? I know of people with siblings that are horrid, back stabbing sobs.....do I get to blame it on the fact that they had siblings and state anyone that has siblings must have the same issue? Bet you don't like it when the shoes on the other foot so much.
What shoe and what foot? I have no idea why you are arguing with me, when I clearly stated it was my opinion. If people don't want more than one kid, that's their prerogative. It doesn't affect me.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:38 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
We're having our second six weeks from today (planned c-section). We desperately wanted the second one, but, for us, we also wanted our son to have a sibling (he's 3.5). I'm 43 and my wife is 36, and I wanted him to have family beyond when my wife and I passed on. Who knows if the two of them will get along, but I do think family is important and they'll have the choice to have that later in their lives if they want it.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:21 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
We knew we wanted to have several children. We never "decided" when to have them. We never used birth control, so they just came along when they did.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:10 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
For me 2 were easier than 1. They play together. I had my third surprise baby 10 years later and he wishes I had a 4th so he could have a playmate. Lol
My youngest took up far more time out of loneliness, we got pretty close as I was his playmate for the first 5 years.
The hardest physical time was the first 3 years, the hardest mental time for me is now in the late teen early adult years.
Try and have fun with it, it goes by so quickly.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to ask others...when did you decide you wanted more kids or when did you decide one was enough? What were the reasons for your decision?
I had decided early on I wanted more than two children and I wanted them close in age. I think siblings are great to have (even though my sister and I are not close--my Mother did not encourage us to be friends). I had planned on four. But my third son was born with a major heart defect and I did not think having a fourth would be fair to either child. So three it was.

I had three sons. First two are 20 months apart and the the next one 26 months apart (I would have liked it a bit closer but Mother Nature was not co-operating). Yes, it can be a bit intense with the second one, but oh my--how fabulous when they begin to interact! When they were toddlers someone asked me once if they got along, I said yes. They said, "you are lucky". I said it has nothing to do with luck, I put a lot of effort into it.

They are now 25, 27 and 29.

I find no one ever regrets having more children, people normally regret not having another.

Anyway--whatever one ends up with, be happy.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
What shoe and what foot? I have no idea why you are arguing with me, when I clearly stated it was my opinion. If people don't want more than one kid, that's their prerogative. It doesn't affect me.
A person has opinions about a favorite color or place to eat dinner....it's not an opinion when you state that only children have issues because they are only choldren. That is a lie....at best a false statement from limited information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting