Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There is no way I would pay the equivalent of 80 euros for a birthday gift even for one of my nieces and nephews, let alone a random kid from school. That's ridiculous. And the very idea that there would be "shame" involved in not giving a certain toy...if that happened, you'd better believe my child would never be going to another of that kid's parties.

I would send a gift card from some place where they sell this toy. In the US that might be Toys R Us; I don't know what your equivalent is. Say 15 or 20 euros--whatever you would normally spend on a gift for a kid's birthday. Then the child can either save it up to buy the Furby, or buy something else that is less expensive. Their choice.

Yes toy s rus here here called toys XL .
Can you believe my daughter does not like toy shops. She like to have everything from saint Nicholas, we celebrate saint Nicholas Birthday 5 December and my daughter was born 6 December she thinks she can get every thing from the magic bag (mama credit card paid )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is the HEIGHT of bad manners to tell someone to get you a gift and even worse to tell them what the gift must be

IGNORE this request. Have a conversation with your daughter to teach her about appropriate behavior and explain that you will be buying a lovely gift that she can help choose but which much be priced within a more appropriate range.
Good idea thank you for drop it to my mind. My mind was blue since this invitation arrived.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I think Zeurich means it's a list of what the kid wants--kind of like a gift registry.

I had a Furby back in the '90's and I know they've made a come-back several years ago. My daughter wanted a purple one a few years ago and it cost $90 US dollars. I couldn't even find it but I didn't dare ask friends or family to buy it for her. Like your daughter, my daughter eventually forgot about it.

I agree with you. I would ignore the "tip" and get another gift. Personally, I think those parents have some nerve by putting an 80 Euro gift on the list. If they don't like the gift you give them then that shows how materialistic they are. Since she's your daughter's school friend, maybe your daughter will know other interests the other girl has.
yes something like that calls gift tip, I think I have seen when I was 20 or 21 but I really don't remember. And honestly that is not worth for that money. Even with a golden mouth not worth
yeah that is what I thought, but I thought of giving a call to another kids parent who is invited. And just ask if their kid going and what kind of a gift they choose?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If this is the case, and it may well be , the Zeurich needs to understand that the child was just making a "wish list" and that her parents would certainly not be expecting any guest to buy something so extravagant.

I thought he was saying the parents had written this request on the invitation!
Dear I am really happy to take it that way but card is printed by a popular card company in Holland it is not even child created thing. It is through internet ordered and created by a parent. I felt like send an sms "thank you for the invitation unfortunately money is not ripe enough by my apple tree to buy that gift" but I kept quiet. I think a lot before say or react.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Wow, I think that was really greedy of them to do this. Hopefully your daughter can help you pick a different gift that is much less expensive. I would never give in to someone who makes "suggestions" such as these in an invitation.

If it were my daughter attending, it would be very tempting to make a donation to charity in honor of the birthday girl
I feel the same to be honest. I do my daughters birthday. Card is creating by my child she writes it. I correct it. And we mention NO GIFTS when kids come they cut the cake with singing very loudly, and enjoy all the short eats I make.And they have lot of fun with games music and they go with a gift little something.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:31 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
why don't you just explain to your daughter that your values are not the same as those peoples values therefore you don't think it is a good idea for her to attend the party and just say on the invitation "Thank you but we are unable to attend " and leave it at that and buy your daughter something special for her instead of attending the bday party . Maybe in your own way you can teach that family some class and decorum . People like that have no class , nor manners . That is the ultimate bad manners in my opinion .

Old 10-27-2014, 12:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Dear I am really happy to take it that way but card is printed by a popular card company in Holland it is not even child created thing. It is through internet ordered and created by a parent. I felt like send an sms "thank you for the invitation unfortunately money is not ripe enough by my apple tree to buy that gift" but I kept quiet. I think a lot before say or react.
I love that response, but I understand that you have the good manners not to actually use it

Old 10-27-2014, 12:34 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Hi every one I picked my little lady from school. She came with a birthday party invitation from a class mate. I have no problem with giving a gift tip with an invitation as well that is easy for us, pack it up and send it with kid , but the gift tip they given is cost 80 euro mean the series number they have mention. That is something called Furby here in Europe talk talk and talk this thing till battery go die. And this girl will be 10 years old, When my daughter asked the same thing few years back when she was 4, I have declined with letting her know that is not worth for that money. As well that thing never go on discount price so there was no chance to get one ,and my poor kid forgot about it and moved on with other stuff like lego friends, monster high, top model and stuff.

I thought just ignore the tip and send some useful book or something. But still then I don't want my daughter to be shamed in case this child start yelling " I did not get due to the tip" There will be 9 other kids too.
I am not going to hurt my kid with buying this crap what I refuse to buy years back. And I honestly find it is not nice to ask that much expensive gift from a school friend's parents. I have given my child's birthday party I specially mention "NO GIFTS".

what would be the best thing I can do in this case?

What come to your mind any feed back would help.
In advance I am saying thank you.
If it were me, my kid wouldn't go to the party and I wouldn't get the kid anything. Time for her to learn that you can't always get what you want.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
why don't you just explain to your daughter that your values are not the same as those peoples values therefore you don't think it is a good idea for her to attend the party and just say on the invitation "Thank you but we are unable to attend " and leave it at that and buy your daughter something special for her instead of attending the bday party . Maybe in your own way you can teach that family some class and decorum . People like that have no class , nor manners . That is the ultimate bad manners in my opinion .
yes that also in part of my head to be honest...

Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If it were me, my kid wouldn't go to the party and I wouldn't get the kid anything. Time for her to learn that you can't always get what you want.
One mother another invited kid already called me she got also a furby but in another color look like they are planing to collect 9 furby's . She said may be the best thing collect 8 euro each and give a gift voucher to buy one Furby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting