U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:42 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,623,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva_la_vie View Post
Hello,
I stumbled upon your post today, and I know it is from at least 5 years ago but I couldn’t help trying to reach out. My 6 year-old is the exact description of your son. (Likes to play with younger kids, wants to lead, classmate don’t seem to be interested playing with him, tried collective sport but jumps around and does not focus, doing very well academically).
Also, as read on another poster’s description he does not like noisy places or big noises, but he does not appear to be on the autistic spectrum. He is very caring and affectionate and has a limitless imagination, but cannot interact with people outside our family.
I m at loss trying to see what I can do to help or at least understand why he does not behave like other kids his age.
I wanted to know if your son had gained in maturity or not and if he s a happy young man.
Many thanks !!
Hi, I understand your concerns.

An evaluation can help put your mind at ease, that these are normal behaviors, or whether your son would benefit from therapy and from learning social cues and so forth. I do think the limited interaction outside of people in your family might merit a discussion with your pediatrician.

I can maybe ease your mind about one thing.

My son was a lot like your son. He was, and still is, also very imaginative. He hated loud noises; he covered his ears during "pep rallies" when they would blast the air sirens, or when he would see a train. He was very uncomfortable with crowds. Another mom from his kindergarten class actually called me up to tell me my son was autistic because he covered his ears during those loud sounds.

My son is now 17. He is not autistic. He now deals with train noises, works for an events company that has very loud music (and flashing lights), works sidelines at varsity sporting events where those blasted air horns go off every time someone scores, and is not bothered by it at all.

The only thing he will not tolerate is fireworks. IDK, maybe one day he will grow out of that too.

He still prefers wide open spaces, but he also has learned how to navigate cities and busy airports and other crowded events.

Also my son could have cared less about soccer, t-ball, and the like. He just was not interested. He did become very good at archery and he loves to kyack. Not all sporting activities need to be team events.

Some people are just quirkier than others. Some people are much more sensitive to their environment than others. My son grew into someone who is extremely artistic. Maybe yours will too.

My son does need to keep improving his social skills, and we are working on that. Some people need help with that like some people might need speech therapy.

Your son is only 6.

He has time to get help for the things he needs help with, and he also has time to grow into a fully capable person.

Don't panic. And most of all, it is OK if your son isn't exactly like all the other boys. You need to find that line between normal behavior, and letting your son be the awesome individual he is meant to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or