Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:58 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/pare...105795052.html

While I do have problem with parents who make to little effort to control their kids in public, I am not sure what these parents could have to done differently to calm their child on the plane.

FTA:
“I buckled him in and he was of course screaming and yelling,” said the Chesterfield, Missouri father. “And I held him with force.” Unfortunately little Sam continued to wail. Khalfin says the attendant then told him and his wife, Regina: “Your son is too loud…If you’re not going to keep him calm in the next three minutes, you guys are going to have to leave the plane.’” The parents were able to calm Sam – until turbulence at one point during the four-hour journey freaked him out and he resumed wailing.

What would you in this situation with a "terrible two"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I'd want to know exactly how the parents were abusive to the flight crew. I doubt the police would have been called just because a two year old was wailing.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
The kid is 2 years old. They can sit in the lap when they are 2 with many airlines. My son was a lap child for his first 2 years.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
somehow i feel there are pieces of the story missing.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/pare...105795052.html

While I do have problem with parents who make to little effort to control their kids in public, I am not sure what these parents could have to done differently to calm their child on the plane.

FTA:
“I buckled him in and he was of course screaming and yelling,” said the Chesterfield, Missouri father. “And I held him with force.” Unfortunately little Sam continued to wail. Khalfin says the attendant then told him and his wife, Regina: “Your son is too loud…If you’re not going to keep him calm in the next three minutes, you guys are going to have to leave the plane.’” The parents were able to calm Sam – until turbulence at one point during the four-hour journey freaked him out and he resumed wailing.

What would you in this situation with a "terrible two"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
somehow i feel there are pieces of the story missing.
The first clue that something may have been "off" with the parents side of the story was the dad's comment, " I buckled him in and he was, of course, screaming and yelling". Most children, even two year olds, accept being buckled into car seats/seatbelts everyday without "screaming and yelling".

I agree that there must have been a lot more happening than was reported by the parents for the airlines to call the police.

BTW, I think that a child has to be under two years old to sit in a parents lap, after their second birthday they need their own seat.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:55 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The first clue that something may have been "off" with the parents side of the story was the dad's comment, " I buckled him in and he was, of course, screaming and yelling". Most children, even two year olds, accept being buckled into car seats/seatbelts everyday without "screaming and yelling".

I agree that there must have been a lot more happening than was reported by the parents for the airlines to call the police.

BTW, I think that a child has to be under two years old to sit in a parents lap, after their second birthday they need their own seat.
I wonder if they are American or Dominican....because not every country has the same child restraint laws that the US does.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:10 PM

309 posts, read 515,568 times
There are children who strongly resist being buckled on the plane, while make no fuss if in a car. Somehow the two situations are just not comparable to them.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
There are children who strongly resist being buckled on the plane, while make no fuss if in a car. Somehow the two situations are just not comparable to them.
I can see there logic....how many cars hold 75 to 100 people? LOL! I agree though.....just because a kid will ride in a car seat (and not all kids do so all that willingly) doesn't mean they can get the concept of sitting in a seat with a belt in rows of seats (can't see over them at their height).

I HATE kids crying....due to issues with my daughter having severe colic for 8 months, I have borderline PTSD and panic when I hear it....but even I know that when a baby/toddler is flying....99.99999% of the time it's not a matter of the parents not doing what they can.....it's because they are irrational little creatures and need to be cut lots of slack. (And that is what they made earplugs/headphones for.)

Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,244,561 times
When my daughter was two and I flew with her she screamed and cried when I fastened her seat belt - its so different from sitting in a car and she had to sit next to a strange man which made it even scarier for her. You can't expect toddlers to react the same way on a plane as they would anywhere else. And it was hell during the landing, her ears hurt so much it was impossible to calm her. I always feel sorry for the parents of crying babies and toddlers on flights - sometimes there is just nothing you can do and people having a go at you does not help at all.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'd want to know exactly how the parents were abusive to the flight crew. I doubt the police would have been called just because a two year old was wailing.
I agree. Something is missing. I'm sure flight crews deal with the Terrible Twos and their parents constantly. Has to be more to the story for the police to be involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting