Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

halloween is fun, I used to take my boys the the big halloween parade in the village (NYC) every year, they loved it......

Old 11-07-2014, 12:55 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, there are lots of May Day celebrations here. Not quite on the scale as Halloween, but May Poles are not unheard of at schools (and I can remember dancing around the May Pole when I was in elementary school, in East Texas, and I'm 65 so it's been celebrated for a while).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
But it is a tradition here.....it would be the same if you forbid your child to take part in May Day because of its pagan roots.....and you would be keeping her from enjoying herself.

Oh.....and many do celebrate May Day....when my daughter was little we would make small baskets of paper flowers and leave them on neighbors doors.
That's interesting that its celebrated there. I thought it wasn't because American Labour Day is at a different time in the year whereas we celebrate Workers on May Day here. Do you dress up though, in costumes? We don't celebrate with May poles, its more about home made mead, picnics, dressing up and wearing graduation hats (for those who ever graduated)

Old 11-07-2014, 09:24 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That's interesting that its celebrated there. I thought it wasn't because American Labour Day is at a different time in the year whereas we celebrate Workers on May Day here. Do you dress up though, in costumes? We don't celebrate with May poles, its more about home made mead, picnics, dressing up and wearing graduation hats (for those who ever graduated)
Those who celebrate May Day in the United States generally draw upon old British customs: Morris dancers greet the dawn with music and dance (and wear their Morris kit, which some might consider costumes), a few (often school children led by folky adults) dance around Maypoles, and Queens of the May are still crowned in a few places. The old custom of leaving May baskets at the door, knocking or ringing the doorbell, then running so that the gifts are anonymous, is seldom seen these days, sadly. However, since Morris and Maypoles have made a modest comeback, perhaps May baskets may also reappear.

There are numerous May Day videos on YouTube, showing these activities. search for "May morning", "May Day", "May Day Morris", and "Maypole", and you should find a lot of them. While you're there, check out "May Morning Oxford" and "May Day Padstow" for some of the oldest English May Day customs.

These festivities have nothing to do with the labor movement.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:38 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Those who celebrate May Day in the United States generally draw upon old British customs: Morris dancers greet the dawn with music and dance (and wear their Morris kit, which some might consider costumes), a few (often school children led by folky adults) dance around Maypoles, and Queens of the May are still crowned in a few places. The old custom of leaving May baskets at the door, knocking or ringing the doorbell, then running so that the gifts are anonymous, is seldom seen these days, sadly. However, since Morris and Maypoles have made a modest comeback, perhaps May baskets may also reappear.

There are numerous May Day videos on YouTube, showing these activities. search for "May morning", "May Day", "May Day Morris", and "Maypole", and you should find a lot of them. While you're there, check out "May Morning Oxford" and "May Day Padstow" for some of the oldest English May Day customs.

These festivities have nothing to do with the labor movement.
Thanks for the info. Never even saw it celebrated much back in Britain, nice to know the traditions live on in the US.

Its International Workers Day so that's why I equate it with the labour movement - still have political marches in some places.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriousjane View Post
We don't celebrate Halloween. It isn't necessarily a religious thing, we don't go to a church alternative or anything like that, but I just don't like anything about this day. I think it promotes junk food, candy, the corporate kids media (what I refer those characters and movies kids idolize and that grace a bunch of crap they want parents to buy), not to mention the scary monster part of it. Am I alone in thinking this is not right????? Is Halloween even appropriate for children anymore? We don't show our kids scary movies, so why go trick or treatiing??? I know teens and older kids are different, my kids are young now.

So what annual fun celebration where every other kid is celebrating do your kids do?

I'm sure they'll love you for denying them Halloween when they look back as adults.
Yea thanks.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
If you don't want extra candy hanging around the house, google "switch witch". We do that and my kids loooooove it.

I wasnt big on Halloween when the kids were little. We would have a party usually the weekend before. But once school started I pretty much lost my vote. We just dress up and walk around the neighborhood and are home by dark

Old 11-11-2014, 02:06 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'm not even going to bother reading all this.
All I have to say is yes, Halloween is definitely for kids. It's ONE day a year, to dress up, have some fun, spend time with family and friends and eat some candy.

Why is everyone starting to be so opposed to Halloween?
Some schools even call it "Character Day", so stupid.
All you have to do is let your kid dress as something appropriate and not skanky, go out for a little, get some candy and go home. Let them pig out a little Halloween night and then put the rest away as treats.

But I guess we're all just going to have to start accepting this weird PC crap we do where everything in the world has to be ok for EVERYONE or its not allowed....
now, now as in all traditions we just may offend one person, and we cant have that- it doesn't matter if the majority thinks its ok,,,the drumbeat will get louder to do away with Halloween....unless we start handing out organic veggies, instead of candy,,then it'll be ok
the kids will love that!!

instead of hollering trick or treat . the kids could holler spinach and broccoli !!

see?? we can appease the lunatic liberal fringe

Old 11-11-2014, 02:11 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
We don't celebrate Halloween. It isn't necessarily a religious thing, we don't go to a church alternative or anything like that, but I just don't like anything about this day. I think it promotes junk food, candy, the corporate kids media (what I refer those characters and movies kids idolize and that grace a bunch of crap they want parents to buy), not to mention the scary monster part of it. Am I alone in thinking this is not right?????
We are a species that deals with reality using tools like personification. There are therefore uses to festivals like halloween. The idea of personifying and making real our fears - death spirits and so forth - and then making fun and joy and mockery with them - therefore likely has some utility in a psychological sense.

I can certainly think of no good arguments against such a festival.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
We are a species that deals with reality using tools like personification. There are therefore uses to festivals like halloween. The idea of personifying and making real our fears - death spirits and so forth - and then making fun and joy and mockery with them - therefore likely has some utility in a psychological sense.

I can certainly think of no good arguments against such a festival.
That was a little over-analytical, IMO, but I agree with the conclusion.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
We don't celebrate Halloween. It isn't necessarily a religious thing, we don't go to a church alternative or anything like that, but I just don't like anything about this day. I think it promotes junk food, candy, the corporate kids media (what I refer those characters and movies kids idolize and that grace a bunch of crap they want parents to buy), not to mention the scary monster part of it. Am I alone in thinking this is not right????? Is Halloween even appropriate for children anymore? We don't show our kids scary movies, so why go trick or treatiing??? I know teens and older kids are different, my kids are young now.
Yup. You are alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting