Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:03 PM

34 posts, read 53,378 times

Advertisements

I had been having this little fling with a woman, we were sleeping together occasionaly. Long story short, birth control failed and she's 21 weeks pregnant now. I left it up for her to decide if she wanted to keep the child. I accompanied her twice to an abortion clinic but she couldn't do it at the last minute. I'm not angry with her for that because I'm sure that isn't easy for a woman.

Well, she knows the first thing I'll do once the baby is born is to have a paternity test done so I'm pretty sure the child is mine.

I've never wanted to have children and there's nothing I value more than my personal freedom. I've got the job I want (engineering), I have a nice house, the car I wanted, I enjoy travelling to exotic places and not having to answer to anything or anyone besides my job.

Of course I'll sign the birth certificate if he's mine and I'll pay CS. I don't want him to go through any difficulties. But I'm not sure I want anything else to do with him apart from sending the money. It's a big responsability, I'm not good with children and I don't thing I would be that good to him.

I've discussed this with her and she just said it's my decision. However, she expects I won't come and go like the child is a toy. I assured her I won't if I decide to stay away.

I'm really not sure what to do...no one in my family knows about the baby.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
I think you owe it to your child to be a presence in his/her life. I can't imagine growing up knowing my Father was never interested enough in me to actually meet me. How cruel. It isn't all about the child support, it's about this little innocent child who never asked to be born. You had your fun, now man up and do the right thing by your son or daughter.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think you owe it to your child to be a presence in his/her life. I can't imagine growing up knowing my Father was never interested enough in me to actually meet me. How cruel. It isn't all about the child support, it's about this little innocent child who never asked to be born. You had your fun, now man up and do the right thing by your son or daughter.
It's a boy. I just never had any desire to be a father and, to be honest, my own childhood would have been better if my father had not been around.

She sent me the ultrasound pics but I didn't open it. Prefer not to associate an image.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:20 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
YOU are the father of that child! You HAVE to be a factor in his/her life. That child did not ask to be born; you and that woman conceived him or her! If you didn't want children, you should have taken precautions before you slept with her. No sympathy here.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
YOU are the father of that child! You HAVE to be a factor in his/her life. That child did not ask to be born; you and that woman conceived him or her! If you didn't want children, you should have taken precautions before you slept with her. No sympathy here.
We did take precautions but they failed. Well, like I said I don't mind paying all the child support he needs and she can probably find another man who wishes to be a father and who will be much better to him than I ever will.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Does she have a support system? Family close by?

Old 11-02-2014, 12:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
If you don't want kids, get a vasectomy. Could cause ED issues when you're old, but those are fixable. Also, you find out what your partner's views on abortion and having kids are. You know, TALK to them.

Oh wait. Doh! It's too late for that.

The fact that you'll be a crappy father? Well, that's kind of a cop out. You've made no effort to be a good father. So really who knows?

And really, how hard is it to be good with children? Be patient, encouraging and consistent. Lay out rules and expectations very clearly. Be kind. Model good behavior. It's really not that hard.

Man up. Read some parenting books. If you wanted your life to keep going the way it was going, you should have been more careful.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Does she have a support system? Family close by?
She has her parents and two brothers.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOS99 View Post
She has her parents and two brothers.
Are they going to help her? And by help - I mean are they going to help her with the daycare, the laundry, cooking, cleaning, feedings, etc?

Old 11-02-2014, 12:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Yet another boy growing up without a Father. How sad for that child. Some people should have their sperm or eggs removed from birth so they can never procreate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting