Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:16 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times

Advertisements

My dad used to be Santa for our neighborhood.. One day I told my mom that was my dad cause of his pointy nose...OUTED...My son recognized the wrapping paper I stupidly wrapped other gifts... But he was about 7 I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:57 AM

646 posts, read 464,920 times
I had a wild imagination as a kid but never believed in Santa. Neither did any of my "close" friends I played with a lot as far as I remember. Maybe we were just weird kids?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 AM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My son is 9 and warned me just the other day if I am ever lying to him about santa, etc, he is going to be mad at me forever. I am seriously lost on what to do. He is very literal, and hates lies, jokes he thinks are at people's expense, people changing the rules of a game.

Im in major trouble.
My 8 year old said something similar...he told me he thought I was lying to him and I have to talk with him a lot about lying so I felt kind of like a hypocrite. It was like he wanted me to tell him but when I actually did tell him he was mad at me for telling him.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:15 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
My 8 year old said something similar...he told me he thought I was lying to him and I have to talk with him a lot about lying so I felt kind of like a hypocrite. It was like he wanted me to tell him but when I actually did tell him he was mad at me for telling him.
Yeah I expect the same. I feel like he knows, but he doesn't want to know. He will argue with other kids about it. All signs point to Santa not being real, he warns me I better not be lying to him but then doesn't want to talk about it beyond that.

What to do? We don't go overboard on Santa. They like to go see him at the mall, he does stockings and one gift. Of course they leave cookies and milk. But...yeah. He seems to be holding on tight.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:34 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
My own childhood discovery about Santa was so deeply traumatic for me, that I told my own children the truth from the beginning. They knew to play along and pretend that Santa is real, because most other children do believe. They actually never spoiled it for any of their little cousins or friends (that I know of).

Here is my traumatic childhood story. I was 7 years old, and in 2nd grade. Our teacher was having each child give an impromptu answer in front of the class to whatever question the teacher asked. When it was my turn, I walked to the front of the classroom, and the teacher said, "Kayanne, please tell us, how did you learn that Santa Claus is not real?" I was horrified and started crying, and I was sooo embarrassed to realize that I must be the only 7 year old who still believed in Santa!!!!! Of course, now I know that that teacher probably shocked the majority of those children, and I think it is outrageous that a teacher who works with SECOND grade children would do that!

Old 11-17-2014, 05:33 PM

I wasn't allowed to believe in santa, but we were made to pretend we did. It was odd. I decided to let my kids believe in it, its fun. If the trauma of learning santa wasn't real is considered a big childhood trauma, they will have had a charmed childhood.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I wasn't allowed to believe in santa, but we were made to pretend we did. It was odd. I decided to let my kids believe in it, its fun. If the trauma of learning santa wasn't real is considered a big childhood trauma, they will have had a charmed childhood.
The "trauma" (and yes I was using that word tongue-in-cheek) was feeling humiliated in front of my class. Most people would consider that the wrong way for a child to learn the truth.

I thought it would make a so-awful-it's-funny story, not fodder for sarcastic responses.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The "trauma" (and yes I was using that word tongue-in-cheek) was feeling humiliated in front of my class. Most people would consider that the wrong way for a child to learn the truth.

I thought it would make a so-awful-it's-funny story, not fodder for sarcastic responses.
I'm really Sorry I wasn't actually speaking to you, I think I was slowly posting, just now saw your post. Bad timing. I'm sure that was hard. I was responding to me about why I did it...little regretting it but also..not sure

It's hard. I remember when my God daughter found out. She was 7 too. I was 17. I couldn't even find any words to ease that pain.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:55 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
My own childhood discovery about Santa was so deeply traumatic for me, that I told my own children the truth from the beginning. They knew to play along and pretend that Santa is real, because most other children do believe. They actually never spoiled it for any of their little cousins or friends (that I know of).

Here is my traumatic childhood story. I was 7 years old, and in 2nd grade. Our teacher was having each child give an impromptu answer in front of the class to whatever question the teacher asked. When it was my turn, I walked to the front of the classroom, and the teacher said, "Kayanne, please tell us, how did you learn that Santa Claus is not real?" I was horrified and started crying, and I was sooo embarrassed to realize that I must be the only 7 year old who still believed in Santa!!!!! Of course, now I know that that teacher probably shocked the majority of those children, and I think it is outrageous that a teacher who works with SECOND grade children would do that!
This is just awful! I think both of mine still believed in 2nd grade. What a stupid teacher--so wrong!!

Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I'm really Sorry I wasn't actually speaking to you, I think I was slowly posting, just now saw your post. Bad timing. I'm sure that was hard. I was responding to me about why I did it...little regretting it but also..not sure

It's hard. I remember when my God daughter found out. She was 7 too. I was 17. I couldn't even find any words to ease that pain.
Ohhhh, ok! Thanks for explaining. Yeah, bad timing, for you to make a comment about "childhood trauma" right after my post, so of course it seemed directed at me.

I've taken my chill pill and all is good again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting