Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,195,956 times

Advertisements

Just in general. Are you strictly against them? My parents for example never let me or my 3 siblings sleep over anyone's house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,243,816 times
I expect I'll be fine with them. I was allowed to sleep over at friends' houses, and did when my parents went away and things like that. Not sure if they're a 'thing' here but if they are then I'm sure I'll allow it.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,518 times
Oh no kids need to learn how to behave some where else with out parents. My daughter spends sometimes with my brothers and they spend here as well some selected friends come by us sleep over.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
We allowed them with people we knew very well. Sleepovers are usually super fun for kids.

However, when they were 7 and 8 I started sending my boys over carrying NOTHING (not even a sleeping bag or wearing socks LOL) because they would always leave something at the friend's house. That was the biggest problem we ever had.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:03 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
We let our children sleep over with their grandparents, uncles/aunts, and cousins, of course. They also have a handful of friends whose families we know very well, and they have had sleepovers with some of them. That is fine with me.

One of my daughters was invited to a middle-school church event this past weekend, with sleepover afterwards. We said she could go to the event, but no sleepover, as I know the mom just a little and the dad not at all. I am sure they are fine people, but I am not comfortable with that. And my daughter said she didn't feel she knew the other girl well enough for a sleepover, anyway.

I do know some parents who have strict "no sleepovers, period" rules. I don't know if the issue was possible sexual abuse or maybe just that the kids would be insufficiently supervised. Maybe they don't want to have to judge the situation and say yes sometimes and no others--it's easier just to make it a blanket no.

My own parents were fairly lax about this. I was allowed to sleep over at friend's houses without question, and once even when a girl invited all the girls in the class to her birthday sleepover. My parents certainly didn't know her parents. And my parents were quite strict in a number of ways, so I'm a little surprised about that, looking back.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:04 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,292,931 times
We invite kids over a few times a year, and my kids go over to their friends' as well. During the summer it seemed like my daughter spent the night every other Friday at her best friend's house. *lol*

Up until this past summer I stayed and supervised all activity until the kids went to sleep. However, this year I went upstairs before any kids had gone to bed - trusting they would pass out on their own without burning down the house.

My daughter is actually going to a sleepover this weekend with her girls-only Sunday school class. Their leader is hosting them at her house as a "get to know each other" night since they are a new group of 6th grade girls that don't all go to the same school and therefore don't know each other that well.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times
Yes I allow my children to go on sleepovers. The idea that scary things only happen late at night is kind of silly, if you let your child go to their friends' homes at all then there really isn't anything scarier that happens after it gets dark.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Sleepovers were lots of fun for my kids ... and for me when they were at our house.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
I let my kids with very close friends. But as I was abused more then once at a sleepover, I am a nervous wreck about them. I think its an important part of kids growing up and gaining autonomy.

I haaaaaaaaaaaate to have them here though. LOL I have kids, I dont want to have more. But I'll do it once in a while.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
I loved sleepovers! They were a regular event here. There were sleepovers on most non-school nights, including summers. Sometimes there'd be a large group of 6+ kids. I'd just throw pillows and blankets on the family room floor. I became an expert pancake maker. Having extra kids wasn't a big deal. We didn't change our lifestyle when there were guests. We took them everywhere we would be going if there weren't kids sleeping over. They were like an extension of the family, like cousins. I don't recall one child not being allowed to sleepover so parents being against it wasn't the norm in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting