Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:56 PM

125 posts, read 134,499 times

Advertisements

Do your children have an allowance? How much is it? I'm not talking about like a college fund or money you're managing for them. I mean money you give them and if they spend it all on pokemon cards, it's ok. When you were a child did you have an allowance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
My kids are 7 and 9. I tried it recently, but they aren't getting it yet. Too many years of mom being a money tree. I am going to try again in 6 months

Old 11-21-2014, 03:33 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
I think the idea of giving kids an allowance is to teach them how to manage and save money. I think it's better than spoiling them by buying them whatever they want. If they have an allowance and they want something, you can always ask if they can afford it on their own. If not, they will have to wait and save up for it.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I think the idea of giving kids an allowance is to teach them how to manage and save money. I think it's better than spoiling them by buying them whatever they want. If they have an allowance and they want something, you can always ask if they can afford it on their own. If not, they will have to wait and save up for it.
I agree, my kids just weren't getting it. They were giving away the money and not caring about the chores they needed to do for it. Points work well with them, so I guess they earn points for things, similar. We have a good points system and they can earn a bunch of things to a new movie, a toy worth a specific amount, an ipad app, eating at a restaurant, etc. When they are older we will try money instead.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,758,218 times
We never did an allowance for our kids. They were expected to help around the house because they were part of the family...and families work together to keep the home livable.

We DID give them money occasionally to buy something special or see a movie or whatever.

It all balanced out in the end imho.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
We never did an allowance for our kids. They were expected to help around the house because they were part of the family...and families work together to keep the home livable.
I like this. I am trying to implement it. I am feeling really resentful these days of being the house maid. Yes, I am a SAHM right now...but really, you throw your shoes on the ground and I have to pick them up? And hubby, I make a great dinner and have to clear the table, wash the dishes and put them away? Come on now. My therapist told me my mom job hours are 40 a week, I like that. So I need some people to pitch in.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:56 PM

It's so funny these children are irresponsible. I used to know a very rich guy. His wife also had a great paying job. Their kids got an allowance. Without pressuring them, they children were always so frugal and put more into their savings than they spent. Before you think they were spoiled and their parents were buying things, for being millionaire they got very few extras.

I've noticed a lot of children spend their allowances willy nilly. I also notice this, because I never got one. We were too poor for it. I did have chores.

I wonder to if the children who spend so freely with allowances are copying parents. I say this, because the child I mentioned before were never told "save it" or "don't waste it" or some variant. They save their parents being frugal and not always getting the most expensive things.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I like this. I am trying to implement it. I am feeling really resentful these days of being the house maid. Yes, I am a SAHM right now...but really, you throw your shoes on the ground and I have to pick them up? And hubby, I make a great dinner and have to clear the table, wash the dishes and put them away? Come on now. My therapist told me my mom job hours are 40 a week, I like that. So I need some people to pitch in.
This is (partly) why I never had children. Being a parent is an endless job. Not with cleaning. With other things that are out of your control.

If you feel frustrated, maybe you make some you time when everyone is away. Maybe get your nails done or see a movie?

Old 11-21-2014, 06:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveitome View Post
This is (partly) why I never had children. Being a parent is an endless job. Not with cleaning. With other things that are out of your control.

If you feel frustrated, maybe you make some you time when everyone is away. Maybe get your nails done or see a movie?
You don't have kids but are asking about allowences? why?

Old 11-21-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You don't have kids but are asking about allowences? why?
I find it interesting we're in a bad economic time (globally) and children get allowances. I often go places and see children who are too young to have a job buying things that clearly aren't for adults (i.e. the adult gave them the money to buy it for the adult).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting