Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 04:59 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times

Advertisements

I think you need to think about her maturity level, how far she will be, how she communicates, etc. Some kids go early and do fine, some go early and get their party on in a major way (I know more then one of each yet all turned out ok).

But if homelife isn't the best, letting her go might be a really realistic decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 05:01 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
there are other options too, doing a mission trip, or some other learning trip. College near home and live at home (could get some of those pre-recs much cheaper at a community college). Working at the entry level of her chosen profession. It doesn't have to be home or college, there are many options along the way.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I went to college at 16, had a pretty tumultuous home life, was pretty self-sufficient, and ended up okay but it sure wasn't easy. Not a choice I'd readily make for my child, but it really depends on her and the family situation she's trying to get away from.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
What kind of problems at home and what are you doing to remedy them?

Old 11-13-2014, 05:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I went to college at 16, had a pretty tumultuous home life, was pretty self-sufficient, and ended up okay but it sure wasn't easy. Not a choice I'd readily make for my child, but it really depends on her and the family situation she's trying to get away from.
Is a minor allowed to handle their own affairs at college? I never had to think about it, all of ours were 18, but I had to sign off on schedules and such for high school.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is a minor allowed to handle their own affairs at college? I never had to think about it, all of ours were 18, but I had to sign off on schedules and such for high school.
My children started college at 16, and I know many others who started college at 16 and even younger. They were allowed to handle their own affairs. Parents would have to make a point of being involved because most advisors don't realize they're dealing with a minor or are used to having minors since many students graduate high school and start college before 18. They actually discouraged parents from being involved in the process of choosing majors, classes and schedules at the colleges my children attended by having a sign forbidding parents to enter the advisor area with the student. LOL The handling their own affairs is really a non-issue. If the child is doing fine picking his/her own classes and other responsibilities/decisions, there's really no reason to be involved aside from signing any paperwork required by the parent. If the parent wants to be more involved, it's easy to become involved by pointing out their child is a minor, but I don't recommend it. If a parent feels a child isn't competent enough to chose a class schedule, he/she doesn't have any business attending college anyway.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-13-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 05:38 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
That's a really good question. I would think they can, I had several 17yr olds on my floor freshman year and it didn't seem like they had any extra hoops to jump through. Something definitely to check out though.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
That's a really good question. I would think they can, I had several 17yr olds on my floor freshman year and it didn't seem like they had any extra hoops to jump through. Something definitely to check out though.
Two of our kids dual enrolled at local universities while in high school, and I had to sign something that said we understood the final grades would be considered in their college gpa. I thought it was because they were minors at the time, so yes, the OP should get clarification.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Two of our kids dual enrolled at local universities while in high school, and I had to sign something that said we understood the final grades would be considered in their college gpa. I thought it was because they were minors at the time, so yes, the OP should get clarification.
My daughter wasn't duel enrolled. She graduated two years early and lived on campus while attending college full time. I know other children who have too. Sure, the OP should check into it, but I'm certain the OP's daughter can easily find a university to accept her as 16 year old high school graduate entering freshman year and living on campus. Why do you think it's an important point if the OP has to sign papers because she's a minor? I'd assume the OP wouldn't allow her to go if she didn't support the decision for her to go. The solution is easy---the OP signs papers if required.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I started college at 14 and moved more than 3000 miles away from home to a different country. I got a scholarship and did well. My parents were more than a little disturbed but it was an amazing opportunity I earned so they didn't feel they could hold me back!

The hardest part was when I came home they still wanted to treat me like I was 14!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting