Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times

Advertisements

Just because she is going to bed at a certain time does not mean she is falling asleep. She may not be getting 10 hours and she may also need more than 10 hours.

I speak from experience.

PS- if she is sleeping with the lights on then she is definitely not falling asleep as soon as she gets into bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
I was the same thing as a kid. What my parents did was cook a delicious breakfast so that it'd be ready by the time I had to get up. I'd smell it and go racing out to the kitchen.

Couldn't resist the yummy food! !!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:52 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
Myself, my Sister, and my brother, all went to bed at a set time,
and got out of bed at a set time.

If we didn't ... we got our hind ends whipped.

Did not happen much.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Myself, my Sister, and my brother, all went to bed at a set time,
and got out of bed at a set time.

If we didn't ... we got our hind ends whipped.

Did not happen much.

lol I know that's right, I don't think people can do that these days though

Old 11-18-2014, 11:05 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
It took until my kids were in high school for me to come to the conclusion that mornings would be a lot nicer for all of us if I put the responsibility for getting up on time where it belonged, on the shoulders of my kids. In hindsight, if I had realized that years earlier, they would have handled it just fine.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:06 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Is she staying up late in her room reading or watching tv or playing on a phone and you maybe don't know? Otherwise I can only think of two things. One maybe she is getting too much sleep. 6-8 hours is good for me, anythnig more than that and I'm actually more groggy and sleepy in the morning. Only other thing I can think of is a bully or something but you would probably be able to tell if its she has a hard time waking up or just doesn't want to go to school.

I'm surprised how many parents today let their kids go in late, sleep in, miss days, etc. My coworker is calling his kd in late 3-4 times a week. When I was a kid it was get out of bed, no argument, if I wont wake up lights go on, my mom would annoy me, etc.

8 is a bit too young for this but once I hit middle school and high school if I was late and missed the bus I was walking to school no rides from mom.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
Hell, my biggest challenge is getting ME out of bed!
It doesn't go away as you become a grown-up.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:06 PM

136 posts, read 200,280 times
Try a sunrise alarm clock.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My oldest used to be hard to wake up. I'd have her shower at night so we didn't have to do that in the morning. Then, if she wouldn't get up and get dressed, I'd dress her while she was in the bed, stand her up, put the backpack on her and head out the door. I kept granola bars for breakfast for those days.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I am struggling to get my 8 year old daughter out of bed. I have moved her bed time so she is getting 10+ hours of sleep. She seems to be getting a good night of sleep and sometimes wants the light on. On school mornings I cannot seem to get her out of bed and she's whining and says NO NO. I've asked her several times if there's a bully at school and what are her reasons or demotivates. So far we have averaged 1 tardy day to school per week, and it's killing our work schedules, PTO and weekends. It's so frustrating. Our younger daughter has no problems getting up and willing to get dressed up and ready for school. I need some serious parenting help please! Thank YOU.

Is she actually sleeping or is she just going to bed earlier? Why does she need the light on? If she's doing this on weekends too then it doesn't sound like school is the problem. What is the routine before bedtime? Computer? Video games? Electronics? Too much stimulation will keep her from fall asleep so even though she's in bed, she may not be fall asleep early enough. I sometimes give my daughter melatonin. It's a natural supplement (we all produce the melatonin hormone) and it's non-addicting. Sometimes the brain is on overdrive--melatonin helps the body settle in for bed. Just a thought but I think we need some more information to understand why she's having such a hard time getting up in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting