Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:40 PM

48 posts, read 71,390 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I have a big decision to make. Our daughter should be entering kindergarten next fall. She will turn 5 in June. However, her teachers just informed me that maybe she should do another year of preK. They said she might not be mature enough for Kindergarten. I have no idea what to do... Has anyone had any experience with this before? I know that it's common for boys who have summer birthdays. But June seems early. I'm worried that if I retain her then she'll be the oldest in her class. She would turn 19 right before she'll graduate high school. I'd be thankful for any advice!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
People do it all the time here. I did it with all three of mine.

IMHO, it's better for them to be more mature so they can focus on schoolwork instead of, "Stay in your seat!"

Old 11-23-2014, 07:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I would take the teachers recommendations into consideration but listen to your gut. If you are waffling a bit, hold her back.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:12 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
DS was on the older end due to a late November B-day and DD is on the older end because due to her late August B-day we kept her home an extra year. DS is now 25 and in grad school, DD is 16 and a sophomore in high school. Not once have we ever regretted them being on the older end, that extra bit of maturity has served them both well.

If her teacher is suggesting it I would do it without hesitation - there are no drawbacks looking down the road only lots of things to gain

Old 11-23-2014, 09:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
We held our youngest back in the 1st grade. July 22 birthday, so she'll turn 19 just after graduation. It is better to have your daughter repeat a year now then in the 3rd or 4th grade.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:22 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
As PP's have said, having an extra year of preschool before Kindergarten is very common, some people even refer to it as "redshirting".

My oldest has an early Oct birthday, and the cutoff for K where I live is Oct 1st, so she had to do an extra year of pre-K although she was more than academically and socially ready. That extra year of Pre K was a complete waste of her time, and she actually went backwards.

If you have the resources to do so, you may want to consider a year of private Kindergarten, or at least try and ensure she is in a challenging Pre K program, just to keep her skills up on the academic end. In hindsight, that's what I wish we had done.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama7 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I have a big decision to make. Our daughter should be entering kindergarten next fall. She will turn 5 in June. However, her teachers just informed me that maybe she should do another year of preK. They said she might not be mature enough for Kindergarten. I have no idea what to do... Has anyone had any experience with this before? I know that it's common for boys who have summer birthdays. But June seems early. I'm worried that if I retain her then she'll be the oldest in her class. She would turn 19 right before she'll graduate high school. I'd be thankful for any advice!

Thank you.
OMYGOSH - DO IT, you will never regret it!

By high school she will be at an advantage over her less mature peers and will likely be more of a leader and less of a follower. She is also likely to be MUCH more ready for college and to take it seriously, not waste your money "figuring herself out" that first year.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:44 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
I would hold her back a year. Kindergarten is no longer the extended pre school it used to be. There are greater expectations about reading, getting homework in many cases, etc. Holding off a year may help her greatly- she will be more prepared emotionally and academically.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:44 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
As PP's have said, having an extra year of preschool before Kindergarten is very common, some people even refer to it as "redshirting".

My oldest has an early Oct birthday, and the cutoff for K where I live is Oct 1st, so she had to do an extra year of pre-K although she was more than academically and socially ready. That extra year of Pre K was a complete waste of her time, and she actually went backwards.

If you have the resources to do so, you may want to consider a year of private Kindergarten, or at least try and ensure she is in a challenging Pre K program, just to keep her skills up on the academic end. In hindsight, that's what I wish we had done.
I'm just curious, did you start her a year earlier than her b-day dictated in hopes that she could skirt around the rule or did something change midway through pre-k?

Neither of my kids went to pre-k, DD went from home daycare directly to K and DS went from preschool right to K at the same school - they both went to private K but when we enrolled DS in preschool he was put in his age appropriate group so that he hit K at the right time to coincide with the age rules where we lived.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I'm just curious, did you start her a year earlier than her b-day dictated in hopes that she could skirt around the rule or did something change midway through pre-k?

Neither of my kids went to pre-k, DD went from home daycare directly to K and DS went from preschool right to K at the same school - they both went to private K but when we enrolled DS in preschool he was put in his age appropriate group so that he hit K at the right time to coincide with the age rules where we lived.
No, she missed the cut-off for K as a 5 Year old because her birthday is a few days after the cut off. We didn't really have the choice. However, we always wanted her to start the following year (at 6). We wanted that extra year of maturity and wanted her to be the oldest in her class (she was, and will be, going forward).

What I regretted was that her second year of Pre K was not challenging enough for her. She is very bright and because everyone else in her class was 6-9+ months younger, they were teaching at that level. It wasn't until halfway through the year that I realized "Wow, she had better skills at X and Y last year compared to this". What I should have done is had her in a more rigorous Pre K, or a Private Kindergarten, or spent more time with her myself on on K level work. Honestly, though, I am not sure it makes much of a difference. My child is testing Advanced right now in 1st grade, but certainly not G&T. She was mature in K, but so were many others (including those younger than she is).

My youngest is a Sept birthday, and could start K just before her 5th birthday, but I already know I will have her do another year of Pre K. She definitely needs it.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 11-23-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting