Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
There are immunizations and boosters that are required (or at least should be done) between 5 and high school. Perhaps that's where the disapproving look came from (although uncalled for).
My kids are fully immunized, though we don't get flu shots. My older daughter needed the Tdap booster to enroll in high school and that's why I took her in. Yes, the booster is usually given in middle school, but we were homeschooling at the time, so it was a little late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 05:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
We haven't regular check-ups since the last needed shots in the early-year vaccinations. I don't really see the need at all.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
There are immunizations and boosters that are required (or at least should be done) between 5 and high school. Perhaps that's where the disapproving look came from (although uncalled for).

However, yes, at 19, my oldest still gets a yearly physical. Everyone in the house does. That's the meaning of preventative care. I like to try and prevent things from happening instead of dealing with it when it's happened and out of control. My youngest child's eye sight changing was caught during one of his yearly physicals.
The only immunization required after K in most states is Tdap, which is required in 6th or 7th grade in most states. Some states require the 2nd chickenpox and/or MMR dose in 6th or 7th, most require the second dose for kindergarten entry. A few states require Menactra (meningitis) for some time in middle school. Many states do vision testing in school as well.
State Mandates on Immunization and Vaccine-Preventable Diseases

Old 11-25-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A few states require Menactra (meningitis) for some time in middle school.
Yes, I forgot about this. When my daughter got the Tdap the doctor also recommended the meningitis vaccine. It was not required for school but she did get that one too.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
While annual checks may be a little often, especially if there are no special health issues to track, that is a FAR cry from not coming in for EIGHT years. How about every 2 or 3 years? What exactly is your reason for not taking them in? As an adult you may not feel you need a checkup so often but kids are developing rapidly and you want to nip any issues in the bud.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I have to say, I am a little surprised by the general unanimity of the responses!

I do agree that it is important for the girls to go more often after a certain age. I don't have an annual physical myself, but I never miss my annual GYN appointment.
Why is it more important for girls? Maybe this is why it's so hard to get adult men to take care of themselves and get to the doctor unless they're dying! Because as kids, they rarely went in - apparently health wasn't a concern when young so they never learned.....

Old 11-25-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If your kids are healthy then I see no reason to abide by the yearly well checks. I don't think it's a big deal to skip them. I really like my doctor and she gives us a full hour for a well check. She is very thorough and she discusses child development, etc. With a doc like her, I now go every year. Before her we didn't go regularly.
Hmmmm...maybe they SEEM healthy because you're not trained in healthcare? The idea is to prevent problems before they become major. There's no respect for the medical profession these days...anything you need to know, just google it - why go to the doctor?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why is it more important for girls?
Well, because they have certain reproductive health and female issues that males don't have.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:15 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Where do you live that you don't need to get immunizations at age 12? In fact, our school district in NY required a well child check up before 4th grade.

your insurance company would not pay for them if they weren't important. In fact, it is required by law that your insurance company pay for them. Doesn't that send a message?

You aren't a bad parent, but it seem silly not to take advantage of this benefit. We have not gone every 12 months like clockwork, but we go.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
While annual checks may be a little often, especially if there are no special health issues to track, that is a FAR cry from not coming in for EIGHT years. How about every 2 or 3 years? What exactly is your reason for not taking them in? As an adult you may not feel you need a checkup so often but kids are developing rapidly and you want to nip any issues in the bud.
Yes, eight years was a long time and I admit I was a little taken aback when I realized it had been that long. However, in my defense, it really did not occur to me, and it wasn't as though the pediatrician was sending me reminders and I was just ignoring them. It just kind of dropped off my radar.

My daughter was never sick. She was obviously growing at a healthy rate. There were no developmental or behavioral concerns. Honestly, the idea "I need to take her to the doctor, just because!" did not cross my mind.

ETA: I should add that she did see the dentist (and orthodontist) and eye doctor regularly during those years.

Last edited by saibot; 11-25-2014 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting