Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 04:42 AM

9,687 posts, read 10,002,814 times

Advertisements

As they say Santa judges ``naughty or nice `` so cancel Christmas if they are just naughty all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,605,524 times
These parents are ridiculous. They've parented in such a way as to produce spoilt children and now they're over reacting and penalising their kids for their own bad choices.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,979,850 times
No. Nor would I ever expose my family to public scrutiny of any parenting step I take.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:39 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,443,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I would never have the need to "cancel Christmas" like these parents did because I raised my children right from the get-go. It's not that hard to prevent a feeling of entitlement...
I disagree. You can do what you do as parent, but if they go to day care or school, some of what you do is going to be undone. I don't have kids. When I do, I'm going to do what I can to make sure they're not spoiled, but I can see how it would be challenging because of other parents and other kids.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,071,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The only thing I'd like to cancel is adults giving adults gifts - I find it a real pain to have to give gifts to relatives who don't need or really want anything, and I wish people would stop giving me stuff. Gifts are special when you're a kid, but at this point in my life I enjoy the other things much more than opening presents.
I told my wife something similar- I have most of the things I want or need, that are in the price range of reasonability. I don't need more "stuff", I don't need or want any cutesey little crap that people might give just because they feel obligated to give something, I have enough "things".

Quote:
If you want to get back to the meaning of Christmas, then you can forget about Jesus, because Christmas is an ancient celebration of the solstice and it was around by different names long before someone decided it was Jesus' birthday.
Many cultures have celebrations based on the solstices and equinoxes, due to observable astronomical associations and their relationships with the seasons, particularly planting and harvest. As well, earlier religions introduced the idea of "virgin birth" (particularly Zoroastrianism/Mithraism), 'good' and 'evil' and 'heaven' and 'hell' prior to the advent of Christianity.

Christianity appears to be merely another cult whose followers appropriated ideas from earlier religions, and co-opted holidays/feast days/celebrations in order to ease the conversion of those followers of other religions to Christianity.

What is remarkable to me is that, with all of the knowledge that we have accumulated over the last 2,000 years, there are still so many people who cling to these outdated and demonstrably false belief systems.

Even so, despite a lack of credence in these archaic religious notions, I find the idea of feasting, celebrations and gift-giving provide a psychological boost going into the [relative] darkness of Winter particularly where Winter tends to be cold and dark, inhabitants of warmer climates likely have little need for this but, really, why pass up an excuse to party and have a good time?

And if someone wants to give me gifts, I really appreciate fine stout ales and well-aged single-barrel bourbons.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I disagree. You can do what you do as parent, but if they go to day care or school, some of what you do is going to be undone. I don't have kids. When I do, I'm going to do what I can to make sure they're not spoiled, but I can see how it would be challenging because of other parents and other kids.
wait til you have kids: remember the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

As for this family: I would have trouble agreeing with what they are doing, but the fact they appeared on TV really blows my mind. They are not really looking out for their 3 little ones as much as they are enjoying their 15 minutes of fame. If they were doing this only to prove a point to the kids, it would never have gone this far.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well, they didn't really cancel Christmas. Their kids are still getting gifts from family members. They are not getting $500 worth of toys from their parents. Their house is decorated. They're still celebrating Christmas. They are not celebrating the consumerism aspect of it. I think it's good for people to stop making holidays about money.
I think that is even worse; allowing the family members to give them gifts, but they are not.. what the heck is that all about?

Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,388,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think that is even worse; allowing the family members to give them gifts, but they are not.. what the heck is that all about?
What are they supposed to do? Tell grandpa and grandma, "Sorry, you can't give little Johnny and Joey presents this year, we're trying to teach them a lesson?" That would be even worse and more sanctimonious, in my opinion.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,589,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
What are they supposed to do? Tell grandpa and grandma, "Sorry, you can't give little Johnny and Joey presents this year, we're trying to teach them a lesson?" That would be even worse and more sanctimonious, in my opinion.
They could say, "Sorry, you can't give little Johnny and Joey presents this year; we're trying to become famous and get rich.''

Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
If you want to get back to the meaning of Christmas, then you can forget about Jesus, because Christmas is an ancient celebration of the solstice and it was around by different names long before someone decided it was Jesus' birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I told my wife something similar- I have most of the things I want or need, that are in the price range of reasonability. I don't need more "stuff", I don't need or want any cutesey little crap that people might give just because they feel obligated to give something, I have enough "things".

Many cultures have celebrations based on the solstices and equinoxes, due to observable astronomical associations and their relationships with the seasons, particularly planting and harvest. As well, earlier religions introduced the idea of "virgin birth" (particularly Zoroastrianism/Mithraism), 'good' and 'evil' and 'heaven' and 'hell' prior to the advent of Christianity.

Christianity appears to be merely another cult whose followers appropriated ideas from earlier religions, and co-opted holidays/feast days/celebrations in order to ease the conversion of those followers of other religions to Christianity.

What is remarkable to me is that, with all of the knowledge that we have accumulated over the last 2,000 years, there are still so many people who cling to these outdated and demonstrably false belief systems.

Even so, despite a lack of credence in these archaic religious notions, I find the idea of feasting, celebrations and gift-giving provide a psychological boost going into the [relative] darkness of Winter particularly where Winter tends to be cold and dark, inhabitants of warmer climates likely have little need for this but, really, why pass up an excuse to party and have a good time?

And if someone wants to give me gifts, I really appreciate fine stout ales and well-aged single-barrel bourbons.
Blah, blah, blah you two! If there is anyone on CD who did not know this before they joined, they know it now because EVERY freaking Christmas at least ten people post it! And don't all cultures appropriate from each other?

Back to the OP, no, I think what this family did is kind of silly. Certainly one (or one family) can give to charity and give Christmas presents to each other as well. "Going overboard" means different things to different people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting