Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 2,224 times

Advertisements

Your side, the stores side and the truth !!

There's more to this !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:12 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
Wow..just came to read the responses. JustJulia, you said it better than I did.Of course my daughter can be a brat too at home but she is very well behaved in public because she gets reminded of her consequences.
We don't think all adults are alike so why are all children assumed to be the same? I cannot accept that a child should be blamed without reasons. Why is it easy for these people to forgive even adults for being wrong but expect children to be punished just for being children?
I am also aghast at people suggesting that I should not have let my child carry a ball. No, I wont let her carry fragile stuff or adult stuff but if she wants to purchase a ball then I will let her carry it. If she dropped it, heaven forbid, she will be taught to be more careful.
Who said it is easy to forgive adults for being wrong??

I think most people said exactly the opposite when speaking of those who drink and eat in a store without paying.

She is three. There is a very good chance she would drop a ball. This is the point and should have been attended to in the present and not after the fact.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
HUM, I go out shopping and experience a LOT of the kiddies-run/scream-wild thiny......parents never discipline their little angels. So I guess some people are just sick of the little monsters going crazy and the parents doing NOTHING about it.

Last edited by tickyul; 12-11-2014 at 01:48 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That you do. As for the kid bitten by the bird, IMO one of the first tenets of "parenting", as I see it, would be to instill in one's kids- and this goes for everyone, no matter how old they are, the common sense notion that you NEVER approach an animal you don't know, whether that's refraining from trying to pet a dog you see on the street- especially if the dog is resisting your advances, or picking up an animal you aren't familiar with. And sticking your fingers in a bird cage at a bird- well that's just plain stupid. And where was that "mommy" when little DY'ApaRash or Snotleigh indulged in his natural childhood instinct to satisfy his curiosity by sticking his fingers in that bird cage- no doubt he had to climb something to do it, I haven't seen too many bird cages in stores within the reach of young children too young to know better than to do such a thing( which again brings up the point, where was "mommy"??).

I realize there's liability, but IMO a child old enough to know better than to do such a thing- after all,it's not as though the bird is able to come after him, being in the cage and all, deserves that bite for sticking his finger in the cage where the bird can get it. Might stop him from doing it again.

Did the kid in your story have an injury on his finger from that bird bite
?
YEP.

The kid was a little baby. Completely innocent. I estimated around 2-3 years old. Left TOTALLY alone in a DARK pet store that was in a space (with a saloon type swinging door) inside McCrory's. Apparently the McCrory's manager came in, let ME in, but didn't lock the big heavy glass front doors again behind us. So the lady came in McCrory's which was also dark with no employees in sight. The manager was back in the office. The store was HUGE like the size of 3 big dollar stores combined. Or more like half the size of a TARGET!

Anyway, the Macaw was in a cage something like this one: http://birdcages4less.com/Merchant5/...0450%20New.gif

Birds can be curious OR territorial and it's to be expected by the store that they will jump DOWN to investigate something you may put in there.

The BIRD was a baby, too! Well, young. It was kept behind the register area so that during the normal day, someone would be there to prevent the customers from getting bitten or bothering him. Having birds - especially parrots - is a big PITA and takes alot of management. LABOR. He was expecting his breakfast and that's what I was doing at the time - preparing it.

Anyway, I was in a room next to the floor - a room made of glass where we had our sink, microwaves and stuff and the glass stopped at about 36 inches from the floor so I never saw that kid brought in - maybe I had my back turned.

I HEARD crying and saw this lady rushing in and grab something and ran out and it was the kid with a bloody finger.

I go "OMG WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING? WHY ARE YOU EVEN IN HERE WE"RE NOT OPEN YET THAT'S WHY THE STORE IS DARK."

I ran into the kitchen to get peroxide and poured it on the kid's hand and the lady ran out of the store. Leaving behind a cart filled with Halloween candy. It looked like a cut thank goodness not like he bit off part of their finger. But I KNOW it hurt.

YES it was McCrory's fault for not locking the front door but I NEVER EVER went to work in the morning again and left the main floor. I waited for another employee to come in before doing anything other than policing my entrance.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-11-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
Wow..just came to read the responses. JustJulia, you said it better than I did.Of course my daughter can be a brat too at home but she is very well behaved in public because she gets reminded of her consequences.
We don't think all adults are alike so why are all children assumed to be the same? I cannot accept that a child should be blamed without reasons. Why is it easy for these people to forgive even adults for being wrong but expect children to be punished just for being children?
I am also aghast at people suggesting that I should not have let my child carry a ball. No, I wont let her carry fragile stuff or adult stuff but if she wants to purchase a ball then I will let her carry it. If she dropped it, heaven forbid, she will be taught to be more careful.
Adults are consumers who spend money. Nobody said your child wasn't well behaved. But yes we CAN assume all three year olds are basically the same because their fine and gross motor skills and brain development are roughly all the SAME.

I don't see where your child was being "PUNISHED".

I'd like to know if your child was RIGHT BY YOUR SIDE when the clerk asked her to put the ball down and later got bumped into?

I'd also like to know if the clerk said anything like "Oh, I'm sorry" after bumping into someone?

It's kind of funny you don't understand how a THREE YEAR OLD can get BUMPED INTO by ACCIDENT which completely makes the case that her wandering around carrying a ball MAY RESULT in getting bumped into or whatnot. Someone OLDER can see the BUMP coming and avoid it most times.

I'd also like to know if you BOUGHT the ball? I think not or you would have included that in the story.

IMO this is a big deal about nothing that illustrates any type of "hate" - a strong word thrown around very often lately.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulmeena View Post
There are different type of people who do not like kids but being rude is not acceptable at all.

In a store it might be some other reason , she might came across unlikely situation created by a kid . That can explain her strangely rude behavior.
once in the store a little kid caused a full display of cans fall off , but fortunately the kid was safe. So there are so many explanations for this kind of attitude.
But the people who dislike children and do not wince to show it are disgusting.
Why? There's no rule that everyone has to like kids. There's no rule that people have to like ANYONE or everyone. And nobody does. Nobody. If you claim you do, you're deluding yourself. The people who assume that everybody has to like kids are most often parents. Just because you have your own kids doesn't mean you have the right to force everyone else to like them, nor is that possible.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
She didn't buy the ball, RwS. The OP said at least twice that her daughter picked the ball out and they were on their way to buy it at the front of the store. The clerk was rude and lost the sale.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yup, evolved into where too many people make excuses for their children's unacceptable behavior, and slam others who voice their objections at being inconvenienced, or worse, from this behavior,instead of accepting their roles as parents responsible for teaching their children ( mostly by example) to be decent, responsible, considerate, human beings who realize there are others out there besides them. I'll admit, it IS a lot easier to let one's children go and to make excuses for them, but *someone* has to live with the consequences.
Most well-adjusted adults realize that the majority of children are not helligans, nor are they being raised by delusional parents "making excuses for them".

Old 12-12-2014, 09:04 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It wasn't a "job".

I OWNED the store.

I paid for every bit of merchandise out of MY pocket. I's MY possession not yours. Merchandise that costs ME money every time one of you damage it.

Unlike some people here who have no clue that you don't just go running to an insurance company for "free money" for every loss.

Therefore, it was MY responsibility to keep your little angels from getting their unsupervised fingers bitten off by a bird in a cage. While you aren't even around and are 20 aisles down window shopping and not even buying anything.

I PAY the salary of every one of those employees and they are there to make MONEY to keep my store running - not babysit. Part of the expenses in staffing are paying employees to clean up when people leave stuff all over the place and putting it back in it's place. Or piling up the broken stuff to keep track of as a loss.

"You" meaning the collective public of course.

When the toddler got bitten in my store, the father came up that night after work - all blustery threatening me "I'll OWN this store!"

Demanding vet records on the bird.

So I let him rant and waited patiently. I go "OH so you're the father of that baby who was left unattended in my store before I was even open for business?"

He then denied that; "MY WIFE WOULD NEVER DO THAT!! NOW WHICH BIRD WAS IT? I WANT IT EXAMINED BY A VET".

I go: "Oh so your wife was PRESENT but can't even tell you which bird bit her kid?".

PFFFFT. You need the patience of a saint to deal with the public. We won't even discuss dealing with employees who will rob you blind the moment you're not looking, too. Owning a retail business is not for the faint of heart. And the first requirement is you have to be the best actor in the world.
Awesome response to the situation! You come back to him calmly with logical response.
One time, I was in IKEA and this little baby ran across me. I tried to stop, lose balance and felt on him. The baby cried and I tried to help him up. That's when only the mother came and accused me not to pay attention where I walk. I knew I would be irrational if I started responding to her. Not being rude, I just walked away from her.
PS: The baby is OK.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
I'm still trying to figure out where the OP got the idea that the store clerk hates children. Was she ranting through the store about hating children? Did her name tag say I Hate Children? I also don't understand how an adult can bump into a 3 year old. Weren't her parents with her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting