Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM

215 posts, read 260,033 times

Advertisements

We were shopping at a big sports store yesterday with my 3.yo daughter. We were looking at sleeping bags, tent etc. My daughter was walking next to us and asked to buy a ball and so we took one and gave it to her. She just carried it around the store. For some odd reason one of the sales ladies suddenly appeared and loudly said to my daughter "PLEASE PUT THAT BALL DOWN". We were startled and I told her that we were planning to purchase it. She then said "Children cannot play inside the store". She wasn't playing ,just carrying it around, same as if an adult were carrying it. Welet it go because we had to finish shopping and go somewhere. 5 mins later the same person just ran straight into my daughter who staggered back. At this point we just left.

It was odd to see someone be bothered by the mere presence of her and make our shopping a nightmare. Has anyone had similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Are you sure that's what happened? I doubt the saleslady would get angry if she were simply carrying it, however, if she did, she definitely had a chip on her shoulder. There are rude people everywhere. I am not a kid person myself, but the only time they really bother me is if they are ill behaved and their parents are either not supervising them at all or make no effort to rein them in. I love my two nephews very much. They are 9 years old and 19 months. My sister is a great mom. She disciplines them well without being harsh with them. Parenting is a tough job without a doubt. I admire those willing to take it on.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
When I encounter someone like that, I generally assume they've been dealing with a bunch of kids who don't behave as well as mine. I've seen kids come into a store, pick up a dozen things, drop them on the floor, then leave without picking anything up or the parent even attempting to pick up the mess they made. That would make me grouchy, if I were in charge of keeping things tidy in the store. So I can understand a retail employee being less than enthusiastic about kids. I will complain if they're especially unpleasant to my kid, though. I would definitely complain about the situation you described.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Are you sure that's what happened? I doubt the saleslady would get angry if she were simply carrying it, however, if she did, she definitely had a chip on her shoulder. There are rude people everywhere. I am not a kid person myself, but the only time they really bother me is if they are ill behaved and their parents are either not supervising them at all or make no effort to rein them in. I love my two nephews very much. They are 9 years old and 19 months. My sister is a great mom. She disciplines them well without being harsh with them. Parenting is a tough job without a doubt. I admire those willing to take it on.
Thanks for your response.My kid is not a saint but I know what happened and do not appreciate anyone questioning the veracity of my account. I am sure there are several threads about badly behaved kids and how they are a nuisance etc.. this is about dealing exactly with people when a child does NOTHING wrong. My daughter asked me all the way home "what did I do wrong ma, aunty screamed at me".

Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
When I encounter someone like that, I generally assume they've been dealing with a bunch of kids who don't behave as well as mine. I've seen kids come into a store, pick up a dozen things, drop them on the floor, then leave without picking anything up or the parent even attempting to pick up the mess they made. That would make me grouchy, if I were in charge of keeping things tidy in the store. So I can understand a retail employee being less than enthusiastic about kids. I will complain if they're especially unpleasant to my kid, though. I would definitely complain about the situation you described.
Yeah you're right. I don't complain about service or retail employees because I know what a thankless job it is but these are confusing experiences for children (being screamed at by random persons) and I want her it understand its not her fault.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,140 times
This kind of people everywhere! but there might be rules that they need to follow such as " no toys would be taken " but even then shouting at kids is not appropriate. But OP if you were reading here on CD there are enough posts from people who got irritated by kids.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
If your child was doing nothing but carrying the ball why didn't you contact the store manager and ask the sales person in front of the store manager why she screamed at your child?

I would not have let it go or left the store no matter how much of a hurry I was in if someone had done this to my child.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:25 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,696 times
All that energy has to go someplace. Have you ever noticed that the faster your kid grows the more active they are?
Hey, that's a good title for a kids' book: All the Energy Looking for a Place to Go!!

Old 12-08-2014, 01:53 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
We were shopping at a big sports store yesterday with my 3.yo daughter. We were looking at sleeping bags, tent etc. My daughter was walking next to us and asked to buy a ball and so we took one and gave it to her. She just carried it around the store. For some odd reason one of the sales ladies suddenly appeared and loudly said to my daughter "PLEASE PUT THAT BALL DOWN". We were startled and I told her that we were planning to purchase it. She then said "Children cannot play inside the store". She wasn't playing ,just carrying it around, same as if an adult were carrying it. Welet it go because we had to finish shopping and go somewhere. 5 mins later the same person just ran straight into my daughter who staggered back. At this point we just left.

It was odd to see someone be bothered by the mere presence of her and make our shopping a nightmare. Has anyone had similar experiences?
The person made physical contact with your daughter?

Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
she is reacting to the bad behavior of others not yours. please understand when security confronts you this is usually the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting