Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,576,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Yep.
Lol you would not be a candidate to homeschool,
because it takes supreme self confidence in your own abilities.....
You come across as too nervous about it.

My youngest after being homeschooled for a few years went to do
his Freshman year with his friends at the public H.S.
He was a bit nervous, lol
I assured him he was way ahead of everyone else....
Well the H.S. initially didn't test him & just gave him a schedule to be in with the regular kids...
A few weeks into the year they gave him some tests, but he'd already been in the H.S. for about 2 months....
One day the V.P. comes & taps him on the shoulder in the middle of class...
Of course my son was thinking, what did I do?!
The V.P. apologizes to my son, explaining that once they realized just how advanced & gifted he is,
he should have never been put in the mediocre classes...
He graduated w/ high honors, w/ a full academic scholarship to a world famous University....

Oh yea. That sounds real - that's exactly how it would happen. How many more family myths are there?!

And what do you mean by "amazingly successful?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,191,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Oh yea. That sounds real - that's exactly how it would happen. How many more family myths are there?!

And what do you mean by "amazingly successful?"
Aw, now don't go getting all jealous, lol
It's not my problem if you let the schools dumb your kids down

Old 12-09-2014, 01:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Yes, but don't they have to take and pass the same exams as other kids in school? Meaning that they have to learn the same very subjects.....at the very least?
Nope. Each state has different rules for homeschooling and many don't give the kids any tests at all.

HSLDA | Homeschooling Through the Early Years: Testing

Quote:
However, in some states, the law may require that you periodically demonstrate academic progress. Some states require standardized testing while others may allow for a teacher letter or some other form of evaluation.
20 Questions About Homechool Annual Testing

Old 12-09-2014, 01:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
i've never understood how homeschooling works....
i mean, i have a masters in engineering, but i'd still be worried about making sure i'm teaching them the right subjects, correctly...i mean, i'm not a teacher! Also, wouldn't you need to know everything in all the books inside and out? i'd be surprised if i knew all topics in all subjects for each of the 12 grades, and be able to convey that in a way a child/teenager would understand...

anyway, sorry. just ranting.
Homeschooling can be done in many ways. No, you don't have to know everything in the books inside and out. Teachers don't know everything. If you can read and understand the basics, you probably can teach them, but you might need help depending on the particular subject. There is nothing that says you cannot utilize tutors, btw, for subjects you are not familiar with.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:34 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,882,779 times
I homeschool my kids too. They're not particular gifted (one being an average student and one moderately autistic) and I don't wave a homeschooling flag and think my way is better than public school etc. There are tons of ways to do it, but, in my opinion, all should be done with good spirits and not as part of some competition with other parents.

I'm divorced, self-employed, homeschool and have a disabled child. None of this is extraordinary or applause-worthy. This is the family that I ended up with and this is how we do things. It's just life. Every parent who makes a fervent effort to do what is right is doing great in my book.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:08 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,319,357 times
My daughters can read and have yet to have a run in with the authorities.

They are 9 and 5.

I know it doesn't sound that extraordinary.

In all fairness you haven't met my wife's family.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:32 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,261,809 times
No way could I homeschool, I certainly don't have the patience for it. Hats off to those who have. I will teach my kid about British history though as that won't be covered in schools here but the internet and history books can help with that.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,431,439 times
I have been teaching my daughter - now 4 - Vipassana meditation - some basic martial arts - some dance - cooking - science experiments - reading and writing ahead of her usual level - and we have been teaching her a second language. All of which she is taking to really well - but all of which do seem to be extra ordinary in our circles at least.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,307,097 times
I don't homeschool because I can't give my kids the social interaction they need. I'm an introvert and am quite happy being by myself. One of these days my kids are going to have to go out into the world and be social with others. That is where school comes in. Academically, my kids would probably be more advanced in core subjects if I homeschooled. Like I learned after I was out of school, grades and knowledge aren't everything. The most successful people aren't necessarily the ones who make the top grades. I want my kids to learn how to get along with others and do mundane tasks at school because that is what will be expected of them when they are older.

My husband and I have built a foundation for our kids from the very beginning. We've taken them to see the local sights and explained things to them that other parents maybe don't have the time or interest to explain. My husband and I have different skills. We've been passing those on in varying levels. My husband is better at explaining things while I tend to be more creative. It doesn't make us special. It's just the way we parent. There are lots of things that other parents do that just aren't for us.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,539,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't homeschool because I can't give my kids the social interaction they need. I'm an introvert and am quite happy being by myself. One of these days my kids are going to have to go out into the world and be social with others. That is where school comes in. Academically, my kids would probably be more advanced in core subjects if I homeschooled. Like I learned after I was out of school, grades and knowledge aren't everything. The most successful people aren't necessarily the ones who make the top grades. I want my kids to learn how to get along with others and do mundane tasks at school because that is what will be expected of them when they are older.

My husband and I have built a foundation for our kids from the very beginning. We've taken them to see the local sights and explained things to them that other parents maybe don't have the time or interest to explain. My husband and I have different skills. We've been passing those on in varying levels. My husband is better at explaining things while I tend to be more creative. It doesn't make us special. It's just the way we parent. There are lots of things that other parents do that just aren't for us.
My kids get a lot of great socialization at public school. The queen bee girls that call my son fat, that's social. The popular girls that call him gay, the other girls who say he has a small penis...good socialization there. The jock kids that teased my middle son for wearing wal mart shoes, that's social. And the pre-school teachers that keep pointing at my youngest son's face (he was born with a cranial facial malformation) and staring are all very social. Socialization is awesome, everyone needs more socialization like they need a second a-hole.

Those weird homeschool kids missing out on all that great socialization. Where will they learn the right clothes to wear, that not having an iphone means your character is flawed, that you sit at the wrong table at lunch and if you're not friends with the "correct" people...you're a loser. But they sure get good socialization in where to sit, where to stand in line, to be quiet, that just when they might be interested in something the bell rings and they're forced to move on to the next subject...future employers love multitaskers.

What do I do extraordinary? Nothing. I'm normal or average and boring in every aspect. I'm OK with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting