Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,601 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be 12 next month. We finally caved in and got her an Ipod touch. That was expensive, so she won't be getting a lot of other things.
Suggestions:

Pretty scarves
Curling iron/wand
Kavu bag
scientific calculator
monogrammed stationary
(anything monogrammed, for that matter)
slipper socks
her own recipe box and cook books
If she has electronics, colorful accessories and cases for them
Umbrella to match her backpack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I think a little bit of makeup is appropriate at 12. A powder compact (for that oily skin that puberty causes), a light neutral color of eye shadow, and a colored lip balm (Maybelline Baby Lips is my favorite), also a concealer if they're starting to get pimples. I'm actually going to get some makeup for both of my girls as stocking stuffers, along with a little makeup bag to keep it in.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
My daughter will be 12 next month. We finally caved in and got her an Ipod touch. That was expensive, so she won't be getting a lot of other things.
Suggestions:

Pretty scarves
Curling iron/wand
Kavu bag
scientific calculator
monogrammed stationary
(anything monogrammed, for that matter)
slipper socks
her own recipe box and cook books
If she has electronics, colorful accessories and cases for them
Umbrella to match her backpack
I'd wait on the scientific calculator. ..some schools have pretty strict requirements about which models they want the kids to have.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:39 PM

214 posts, read 281,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
too old for toys
not old enough or interested in jewelry and cosmetics
want to pick their own clothes
need new bikes but what to pick them out themselves
not really into music except videos online
like most American kids they have all of what they need and most of what they want already

So far I have
big grab bag of nail polishes, remover, clippers, emery boards, nail decorator kits
body washes
two wii games
large 500 piece puzzle-family tradition for holidays
some tops I ordered from Lands End -they may not like them
cozy jamies
history photo book geared towards middle schoolers
gift certificates to buy new bigger bikes at after christmas sales
yarn and pattern book for knitter

seems like a lot but not much to put under the tree.

Suggestions?
Yea sounds good. I gave a 12 year old the same 100 nail polish set thing with 1000 glitter/art deco things that go with it too but this will be the favorite under the tree

http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-MKS-SS...ake+microphone

I gave her that Ipod Singstand Karaoke Microphone and she still uses the thing everyday 4 years later. Still loves it. I figured she'd use it forever seeing how you never really grow out of something like that. It hooks up to any ipod so they can sing over any favorite song they've got on it plus shows the lyrics. Be the actual singer. Cant lose with that one.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I agree - I think you've done well for Christmas.

I'm surprised they don't like jewely yet - my 9-year-old is just starting to ask for necklaces and things.

I'll second the books recommendation.

My mom has started giving the older girls "gift days". She picks them up from school, takes them shopping at whatever clothing store they want to go to, buys them whatever they want (that is within the budget agreed on upfront), then takes them out to dinner. The stuff gets wrapped up and put under the tree. Even though they know what is in the boxes, they still thank her for the time and get all excited showing everyone else what they got.

My grandmother used to do the same thing with my sister and I when we were teens. Great memories
My mother-in-law used to do something similar with her daughter. However, they would go to multiple stores and try on many things. DD would veto certain outfits and would say whether she liked or loved the others. They would set aside perhaps three or four times the amount of clothes that Mom would end up buying. Later that day, Mom would go back and purchase the gifts.

It was a win-win. Mom would get to see the clothes on her daughter (so they would always fit), the daughter would have vetoed the items that she really did not like and everything was still a surprise on Christmas morning (as DD only received some of the items that were possibilities.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,649 times
I think you have a good list there. I had a tremendously hard time getting stuff for my sister, she's 11. She just started middle school (6th grade) and is at a weird age. I settled on wii games, pajamas and a poster from etsy. I find that for her age, a room decoration was a good idea (i'm hoping so anyway!) she's very into trying to do her own thing in her room. This is what I got her. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/251164039

Old 12-13-2014, 08:25 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
My daughter is 13. Some of the things I bought her last year and this year for the holidays and her birthday.

Camera
Headphones
Clothes
Experience gift cards to her favorite restaurants, clothes, amusement parks, movies and even concerts.

We have a Apple TV in the house and we have a family movie night at least 3 times a month so I bought her a few iTunes cards so she could chose the movie we watched at least once or twice a month.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:43 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
I have an 11 year old. She gave my husband a list of many anime and Harry Potter themed clothing she wanted. She still likes it when I do things with her. We are having a mother/daughter manicure and restaurant of her choosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting