Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:37 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

Call me paranoid, but I believe that there are just too many unstable people in in the world, to feel that it is safe & OK to post photos of young children online. I base my experience as a career social worker, many years in Child Protective Service.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Call me paranoid, but I believe that there are just too many unstable people in in the world, to feel that it is safe & OK to post photos of young children online. I base my experience as a career social worker, many years in Child Protective Service.
So what are you going to do, not take your child to a public place?

Old 12-16-2014, 04:27 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Haven't kids sports clubs been posting pictures of their teams publicly in newspapers and sponsoring businesses for decades? I don't know if I'd call this a generational thing.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
My child joined a team for a local rec league. The coaches decided to make a Facebook Page for the team to share pictures and information. They did not consult with the parents beforehand, they just created it, posted pictures and invited parents to join. I'm not totally comfortable with this. I believe they should ask permission before posting photos of other people's children online. Schools for example have to ask permission for these types of things.

The coaches are about 10 years younger then I and probably have a very different view on social media due to the age gap. My first thought was to address it with the coaches and ask them not to share pictures of my kid online. My husband says to just let it be. I am wondering how other parents would feel about this type of situation. Would it bother you? Or would you be ok with it? I'm not really looking for advice, I'm mostly just curious as to how other parents feel about these types of issues involving kids, boundaries and social media.
Assuming this is a rec league related to the school, frequently permission for these things are in that stack of paperwork that goes home that first week and unless you opt out, you opt in by default.

Personally, I don't understand where the fear comes from. I understand we sort of operate under a miasma of fear these days, but if your child has no social presence of his own, what exactly is the harm of a photo being on the internet?

Old 12-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree regarding permission. I don't think they are using the group for advertising and the group is private. However, my child's pic is on the public page and I don't really know the other parents too well so don't necessarily want to share so much with them.
Wait your child plays on the same league with these other parents' children, therefore they can actually see your child in real life, but you are concerned about them seeing a picture of your child on the internet?

Why?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wouldn't make waves over it. If they are "tagging" you or your child, which adds the identifying element, I would ask not to be tagged if I was uncomfortable with it ( but I'm not). Otherwise, it's just a random group of kids, like any advertisement or newspaper clipping. You can also "untag" a picture you are mentioned in, by yourself.

We have always signed a release allowing the leagues to post pictures of our kids.
Oh, if this is the case I understand now.

OP you can set your child's Facebook page so that no one can tag him without permission.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
But there are not unstable people in public?

I don't understand the logic here. Are you suggesting an untagged picture is going to trigger more of a response by a predator than children actually being in a park?

Old 12-16-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
So what are you going to do, not take your child to a public place?
Is that what I said? No, I said pictures on the Internet. Photographs of childrens' events like sports, dance, etc.used to make the local newspaper, at most. Now they may be seen by millions, all over the world, in perpetuity. Think about it.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But there are not unstable people in public?

I don't understand the logic here. Are you suggesting an untagged picture is going to trigger more of a response by a predator than children actually being in a park?
Yes.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:51 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Is that what I said? No, I said pictures on the Internet. Photographs of childrens' events like sports, dance, etc.used to make the local newspaper, at most. Now they may be seen by millions, all over the world, in perpetuity. Think about it.
Yes. And it's perfectly legal for anyone to take a picture of your child and post it online wherever they like, as long as your child is in a public place. So unless you're planning on locking up your kid, you cannot prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting