Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
As someone pointed out, teams have been pictured all over the place for ages. You can discuss it with the team leadership, but they're probably going to label you "that parent", whose kid requires extra special handling above and beyond that of the rest. It's nearly impossible to open Facebook for a split second without being barraged by unwanted pictures of peoples' kids anyway.
This is what makes me hesitant to say anything. I don't want to make my child feel "different" and I don't want to pick up the "difficult" parent label. At the same time, I wish that people would be more respectful and aware of other parents' preferences in regards to privacy and just ask beforehand. I am actually leaning towards just letting this one go but just being more prepared in regards to handling these types of things in the future, because this will most certainly come up again and again.

I appreciate hearing different people's perspectives. I am especially appreciative of those who didn't resort to bashing people who they disagreed with but instead tried to understand. I think this is an opportunity to learn where different parents stand in regards to online privacy and to realize that we don't all feel the same way and to be respectful of that. I know that I can't control everything that goes online regarding my kids but I think it's good for organizations to get parental permission prior to making these types of decisions.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
^^^ It's not a school, it's a recreational sports league.

OP, it wouldn't bother me because I've pretty much given up on privacy. Social media is here to stay and unless you're paying very close attention and making your views known, your and your family's images are going to be online for all the world to see sooner or later.
^^^^ That pretty much is the answer. The younger generation it seems can not wait to get pictures on Face Book.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:43 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
I'm older, and I have boxes and boxes of photos of friends and neighbors who did not sign a permission or waiver form before getting their picture taken with a Kodak Instamatic. Baseball, marching band, picnics.
I know my personal albums aren't the World Wide Web, but in social settings especially, and as long as nothing's being compromised, it's fine on the web as well.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I'm older, and I have boxes and boxes of photos of friends and neighbors who did not sign a permission or waiver form before getting their picture taken with a Kodak Instamatic. Baseball, marching band, picnics.
I know my personal albums aren't the World Wide Web, but in social settings especially, and as long as nothing's being compromised, it's fine on the web as well.
The bolded makes all of the difference in the world. There is a huge difference between having your photos in a box or album and having them on Facebook. In the first scenario you can share the photos with friends and family. In the latter scenario, the photos can be shared exponentially.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Is that what I said? No, I said pictures on the Internet. Photographs of childrens' events like sports, dance, etc.used to make the local newspaper, at most. Now they may be seen by millions, all over the world, in perpetuity. Think about it.
And what harm comes from them being on Facebook vs in the paper?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And what harm comes from them being on Facebook vs in the paper?
I can't think of any. Most newspapers, even local ones, have internet editions.

I think my kids would feel worse about being left on the sidelines when team pictures are taken, or seeing all their teammates' action shots online, while there are none of them.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The bolded makes all of the difference in the world. There is a huge difference between having your photos in a box or album and having them on Facebook. In the first scenario you can share the photos with friends and family. In the latter scenario, the photos can be shared exponentially.
I am trying to understand. How does it violate your privacy if someone sees a picture of your child online vs say the paper or in real life?

These aren't pictures from in your home but rather pictures from a public setting where there is no expectation of privacy, right?

I don't understand the difference between a stranger seeing your child play soccerin the park vs seeing them play in a photo online. Neither harms your child more than the other so how is one more dangerous or a violation of privacy?

Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am trying to understand. How does it violate your privacy if someone sees a picture of your child online vs say the paper or in real life?

These aren't pictures from in your home but rather pictures from a public setting where there is no expectation of privacy, right?

I don't understand the difference between a stranger seeing your child play soccerin the park vs seeing them play in a photo online. Neither harms your child more than the other so how is one more dangerous or a violation of privacy?
Sorry you don't understand the difference. I would hope though that if you had a group of kids that you were working with, you would have enough respect to ask their parents for permission before posting their photos all over the internet.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Sorry you don't understand the difference. I would hope though that if you had a group of kids that you were working with, you would have enough respect to ask their parents for permission before posting their photos all over the internet.
Because there isn't one. You've never answered...just what is the harm that happens to these kids?

Old 12-17-2014, 05:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Are you sure the fb group is public? It is possible to have a group where posts are only visible to members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting