Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times

Advertisements

Hi there
I have a 9 year old son who is basically a good kid. He is gentle, good at school, seems to tell the truth and is into sports.
But he is very touchy feely with his friends. He thinks nothing of giving his friends a hug, pat on the back or rear, pats their head. He is a big kid for his age and my dh and I dont know how to handle it. Tonight was basketball night and he was just all over the place (never in the right place at the right time) and at the end he gave his 15 year old asisstant coach a hug.

Dh and I have always told him that he has to keep his hands to himself. Its ok to hug his brother or parents, but not ok to touch anyone else. So at the end of practice, I told him tomorrow was the last time for basketball if I didnt see an improvement in his behaviour. He loves sports and at the moment basketball is the only one he plays. He will play baseball in the spring.

I am worried as I am afraid that someday he will touch the wrong person and they will react with their fists. Of course dh being the pesimistic that he is, also has mentioned pedophilia and when does it begin. I think he is reaching there, but it is a huge worry.

Any ideas. Nothing has changed at all at home, or in school.

Thanks
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Hi,
I would have him evaluated. The reason I say this is not that I think he is really "out there", but more so that his being all over the court, not understanding physical boundaries and his immaturity can be signs of other issues. It wouldn't hurt to just have him evaluated and make sure there are not other issues.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:54 AM

203 posts, read 927,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Hi,
I would have him evaluated. The reason I say this is not that I think he is really "out there", but more so that his being all over the court, not understanding physical boundaries and his immaturity can be signs of other issues. It wouldn't hurt to just have him evaluated and make sure there are not other issues.
Agreed. Okaydorothy, even though your experiences dont raise any red flags with me.........the fact that your concerned is reason enough for further "evaluation". Parenting is a fine balancing act..........on the one hand we want to catch the warning signals and prepare them for the future and all it's possible dangers...........on the other hand we dont want to make them into pessimistic adults who are scared of their own shadow. You may want to videotape his actions to show to the professionals.
It's probably nothing to worry about and take care not to crush his childhood spirit................we all grow up a little too fast..........reality in small doses!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
If he is being touchy-feely with age peers and an older assistant coach, how can "pedophilia" conceivably be inferred from that?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If he is being touchy-feely with age peers and an older assistant coach, how can "pedophilia" conceivably be inferred from that?
Yeah really; that struck me as odd too.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:24 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
There are a lot of children like this. My daughter is like this, even though she is on the Autism spectrum.

I think our raising her full of hugs and kisses sort of had a hand in this.

I have been talking to her about hands to herself, hugs for only Mommy and daddy, (tight hugs)

Friendly for her brother and other family members... all at school are off limits, hands to yourself, as well as other people should have their hands to themselves.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:03 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
When we came home on friday night I told him that if he didnt behave himself at sat's game, we wouldnt be going back. I dont expect lots of hoops, but if he wants to play basketball, he needs to pay attention, keep his hands to himself and enjoy it.

Well on sat and sun, he played great. He gave the other kids high fives ; which is great, and he kept his hands to himself. Hopefully he learned this way.

My dh does tend to overreact to things and always loks at the worst possible scenario first.

Thanks for all your advice
d

Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
When we came home on friday night I told him that if he didnt behave himself at sat's game, we wouldnt be going back. I dont expect lots of hoops, but if he wants to play basketball, he needs to pay attention, keep his hands to himself and enjoy it.

Well on sat and sun, he played great. He gave the other kids high fives ; which is great, and he kept his hands to himself. Hopefully he learned this way.

My dh does tend to overreact to things and always loks at the worst possible scenario first.

Thanks for all your advice
d
Dorothy

I think you've raised a lovely, compassionate and friendly child. It sounds to me like he's just so enthusiastic about life and sharing his joy of it that he sometimes forgets that not everyone wants to be hugged. He's only 9, just keep reminding him that there's a difference in levels of physical contact allowed between family, friends, and strangers. Hugs and such are for family, less contact for friends and strangers.

He'll be fine, he sounds like a good happy kid.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 23,188 times
Sometimes i do put e blame on tradition.maybe wat he sees u doin z wat he's doin bt somehow in an edited form.besids havng him studied u should also be careful in wat u do wn he's close by.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 23,188 times
Mayb f u adopt our African stance of no hugs.(only for lover) & no kises(only for e married) t can do u some gd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting