Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,389 times

Advertisements

Hi forum!

I am a new member here...

Did you ever mange to teach your toddler or your child to read at home?
[mod]delete[/mod]
When it comes to the reading strategies, does phonics method of reading really produces better result than sight word method?

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-27-2014 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: removed the link and edited post for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
is this an ad?
Sorry, What do you mean? advertising you mean?

I just would like to know if the method they offer works or not -phonics reading I mean-..

P.S. Sorry, If it seems like what you said, I can rmove the link, but yet I have the question..

Old 12-27-2014, 04:47 PM

Or if you mean this "When it comes to teach toddlers or children to read, Is this really great?"

I meant "phonics reading"...

I changed it the way it does not seem like an ad... If it is not enough please tell me so that I remove it?!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I didn't look at the link, but I taught all three of my children to read at home. My oldest child did not go to school until high school, and the younger two are still homeschooled. They're all good readers, so clearly it can be done!

I am in favor of reading a lot to children (at least one hour per day) and waiting for signs of readiness, such as interest in letters and ability to form rhymes. I'm not big on trying to teach toddlers. Unless a child is REALLY interested, I'd wait until at least four.

You can start at two and take two years teaching the child the same reading skills that a four-year-old picks up in a month.

I believe in teaching phonics AND sight reading. Written English is unfortunately only a partially phonetic system. It's important to be able to sound out words using phonics, but there are many words that can't be sounded out and must be learned by rote. I found it easiest to teach my children simple phonics with a book called Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, while simultaneously using homemade flash cards for high-frequency sight words like "the," "one," and so on.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Toddlers should be read to. They don't need to learn to read at that age.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I don't know what you are selling but my sisters and I learned the alphabet before we went to school. Back in the forties, before it was common for kids to go to preschool, kids like us began our education at home. Every night after supper at the time each of us were toddlers we would climb onto my dad's lap while he read the evening paper. He would point out the letters in the paper and say them aloud.

We would learn the letters by repeating them after him. We got to recognizing letters that way. I could say my ABC's before kindergarten. Putting the letters together to make words after that was a breeze.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:05 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Toddlers are not developmentally ready to learn to read. Reading to toddlers is a good activity to get them developmentally ready.

Direct Instruction is a good method to use if you are working with your child at home. It has years of research and use behind it.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:21 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
I never did. I read to them and we did pre-k activities, but I never instructed or made it a point to encourage early reading. Both my older girls learned to read in Kinder, and have been reading well above grade level for some time. They excel at language arts.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Actually, children who are immersed in a literate environment where the adults around them read and where books are readily available will learn to read on their own. They may learn early or they may learn later, but they usually do learn.

The following is from a study of self-taught children at the Sudbury school.

Children Teach Themselves to Read | Psychology Today

Quote:
For non-schooled children there is no critical period or best age for learning to read.
Quote:
Motivated children can go from apparent non-reading to fluent reading very quickly.
Quote:
Attempts to push reading can backfire.
Quote:
Children learn to read when reading becomes, to them, a means to some valued end or ends.
Quote:
Reading, like many other skills, is learned socially through shared participation.
Quote:
Some children become interested in writing before reading, and they learn to read as they learn to write.
Quote:
There is no predictable "course" through which children learn to read.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I didn't look at the link, but I taught all three of my children to read at home. My oldest child did not go to school until high school, and the younger two are still homeschooled. They're all good readers, so clearly it can be done!

I am in favor of reading a lot to children (at least one hour per day) and waiting for signs of readiness, such as interest in letters and ability to form rhymes. I'm not big on trying to teach toddlers. Unless a child is REALLY interested, I'd wait until at least four.

You can start at two and take two years teaching the child the same reading skills that a four-year-old picks up in a month.

I believe in teaching phonics AND sight reading. Written English is unfortunately only a partially phonetic system. It's important to be able to sound out words using phonics, but there are many words that can't be sounded out and must be learned by rote. I found it easiest to teach my children simple phonics with a book called Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, while simultaneously using homemade flash cards for high-frequency sight words like "the," "one," and so on.
I have seen this happen first hand. Compare learning to read with other developmentally dependent skills, such as riding a bicycle independently (without training wheels). You can start teaching bike riding at age two and practice hours and hours a day, day after day after day and eventually the child will learn or you can wait until the child is older, and more developmentally ready, and after a fairly brief practice the child will learn the skill.

Reading to babies, toddlers and pre-school age children is always the first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting