Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:32 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nope. That's the point.

How so? There are tons of single parents who were "married".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,179 times
I just can't imagine anything more tacky than being an unmarried woman with a kid. My parents would kill me if I ever did anything like that.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:21 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
If polygamy were legal - would you get married?

Most people do not make that kind of commitment all the time without marriage. Some do, yes. But the majority of people that make that kind of commitment are married.I'm not saying anything about the quality or strength of any relationship - simply that most people get married.

I know couples that never married - and a couple of them have children. But most of the people that I know that have been together for a long time are married - unless it wasn't legal to do so.
Good post.

Monumentus-

Also, I'm not saying people can't have a certain level of commitment without marriage. However, the thread asked my opinion and the choices I would make in my life. To me, marriage symbolizes the highest level of commitment and I believe in it on a spiritual level. I believe in the legal bonding and all that comes with a marriage. I do not desire a long term relationship without it being a marriage. I am aware people aren't like me - just responding to a thread that asked my opinion. I have several aunts who never married and were in long term relationships, and those men were a big part of my family. They also never had children/desired children.

To me, marriage is not only a symbol of what I believe to be the highest level of commitment (or I wouldn't be doing it myself, which I am), but also what would need to happen for me personally before having a child, barring me being raped or some other extenuating circumstance.

Again, I believe in the countless legal perks of marriage when it comes to being a spouse and child rearing.

I'm also aware that the girls who have multiple children have a character problem, and that it has nothing to do with marriage to a certain extent. However, I know more people who are married that have been together long term than those who I know have been together with no marriage. I am not counting people who have been divorced 3 times and just no longer want to get married and desire to casually date.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Yes. A woman would have to be a fool to have children outside of marriage, unless she is financially secure. If she is, then she could consider it, but she still will run the risk of having children who are maladjusted due to the lack of a positive male influence.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
How so? There are tons of single parents who were "married".
Duh. Of course there are. But it is FAR more difficult to walk out on a marriage than on a live-in. Surely you realize that. That is the whole point of marriage...it binds a couple legally, as well as emotionally. Far more stable for raising children.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:12 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Just curious--how do you figure? My father cut out of being a husband and father pretty soon after I was born on an emotional level, and actually left not long after that. A marriage is only as strong as the relationship, the marriage license itself, the vows one takes and the headaches that go along with dissolving a marriage doesn't preserve it.
See my reply above. Absolutely agree that marriage is NO guarantee you will stay together. But that is NOT the question that was asked. I believe that marriage should come BEFORE having children, and I stated my reasons.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
I don't think marriage is a requirement for successful parenting. I do think successful parenting requires two adults that are committed to providing for the kid. And you really need two adults for all the logistics / emotional support for the care taker anyway. It is a very difficult job to raise a kid alone. There isn't really enough time in the day. It can work when two adults are engaged. Marriage doesn't guarantee you will have 2 engaged parents, and that is the most critical part.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,974 times
What counts being married?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:46 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,923 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
I don't ever want to create a broken family, so I'd rather do marriage before kids.
Unmarried pareents are not a broken family.

Quote:
If polygamy were legal - would you get married?
Thanks for the question - it is a thoughtful one unlike some replies. The answers is it is not for me no. Other than the aforementioned tax benefits I see nothing appealing or attractive in the notion of marriage. I would likely have no interest in it even if the relationship I was in did not already preclude it. I do however have contact with some other people in relationships similar to my own - and opinion is divided there too. Some of them would like to have marriage in the same way as everyone else. Others have no interest. While others have some interest but accept the fact that their chosen relationship simply precludes it and they accept this.

I would not like to derail the thread into a specific discussion on marriage - there are plenty of threads on that already - but in short I feel marriage is an institution that is out of step with the demands of modern society. It needs an overhaul and updating. The things I actually require from marriage - such as ensuring inheritance rights, next of kin rights, medical proxy rights, and guardianship of the children in our relationship in the event of death etc etc - I have acquired by other means for us.

I have nothing AGAINST it though - or anyone who wants it or does it. Do not get me wrong. I am not here preaching against marriage or suggesting people not do it. Those that want it - go for it and I am all for it and am happy for them. But it is not for me.

All I am saying here is that those that claim it somehow benefits child rearing - have failed to back up this claim in even the smallest way. If you trawl the entire thread looking for such support - the best one can find is anecdotes of broken families where the parents happened not to be married. And they leap to conclusions off the back of such anecdote.

I am entirely neutral on the subject of marriage in other words - but not at all neutral on people claiming without substance that it is some kind of must have before procreation. There simply is no reason on offer here to think that is true.

Quote:
Most people do not make that kind of commitment all the time without marriage.
Yes - the majority of people who choose to have children are married. You are statistically correct here. But you are statistically stating the obvious too. No one is disputing this - and you will get no argument from me. The majority and "norm" is clear. Most people who commit to having children DO marry first.

But that is not the question of the thread to my eyes. The question of the thread is SHOULD it be so. Is there a reason it should be this way. Does it benefit us in any way at all? Are children brought up in stable households with marriage ANY better off than those brought up in stable households with no marriage? And currently the support for thinking so is - nothing. At all.

And as I said when I pulled a user in another thread - who constantly preaches that marriage is a necessity and ideal for child rearing - up on this the best she could do was produce studies comparing children in married households to children in divorced ones - broken ones - or families where one or other parent died or left. Hardly useful.

Quote:
I know couples that never married - and a couple of them have children. But most of the people that I know that have been together for a long time are married - unless it wasn't legal to do so.
And again I wholly agree with you. MOST of the people with kids I know are married too. No one here is disputing this at all. I fear you are making a point to me that I have absolutely not disputed - and entirely agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I just can't imagine anything more tacky than being an unmarried woman with a kid. My parents would kill me if I ever did anything like that.
That says a lot about your parents - and very little about marriage and child rearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Also, I'm not saying people can't have a certain level of commitment without marriage. However, the thread asked my opinion and the choices I would make in my life.
The point is that there is no reason to think that the "level of commitment" is any less (or more) in a married couple with children than an unmarried couple with children. The moment someone makes such a claim they are engaging in wild assumptions.

And the thread did not just ask you what choices you would make in your life. If it did then I likely would not even have replied to the thread. Each persons choice is their own. What the thread DID ask - right there in the thread title - is whether we believe people SHOULD be married before having children. Not what you do with your life - but what other people "should" do with theirs. And that is a different ball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
To me, marriage symbolizes the highest level of commitment
And to me the exact opposite is true. To me choosing to spend your life with someone is the highest level of commitment. And marriage is simply one of many possible ways to express that choice externally.

It sounds to me like someone saying "Football symbolises the highest level of commitment to fitness" when in fact there are a multitude of ways to express a commitment to fitness.

In other words - You are merely taking ONE possible expression of an ideal - and without any basis or reason declaring it to be the highest example of the form.

As I say if it is the highest expression of your commitment for YOU then that is great - you will get no argument or disparagement from me in any shape or form - just my praise and congratulation. But I repeat that the thread is not asking that. It is asking what OTHER people "should" do - and that sets off a different set of alarm bells in me.

What people "should" do when having children is ensure they can provide a stable loving home for it. Marriage is neither a pre-requisite nor a guarantee of any such thing. It is - in and of itself - superfluous to requirements - regardless of how precious it might be to your personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes. A woman would have to be a fool to have children outside of marriage, unless she is financially secure. If she is, then she could consider it, but she still will run the risk of having children who are maladjusted due to the lack of a positive male influence.
Yet another user who is missing the point that not being married is not the same as not having both parents. Nor does it significantly increase or decrease the risk of a two parent family ending up a single parent family.

As for "positive male influence" there are plenty of children of single parents who have turned out every bit as well adjusted and healthy as you or I. Some more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Duh. Of course there are. But it is FAR more difficult to walk out on a marriage than on a live-in. Surely you realize that. That is the whole point of marriage...it binds a couple legally, as well as emotionally. Far more stable for raising children.
I guess a lot of this might depend on the laws local to you. I do not know the laws local to you - or even where is local to you - but where I live even though I am not married - if I suddenly upped and walked out tomorrow the legal requirements upon me to support my children financially would be no less than a married man doing the same thing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-16-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-08-2015, 05:46 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post

And to me the exact opposite is true. To me choosing to spend your life with someone is the highest level of commitment. And marriage is simply one of many possible ways to express that choice externally. I would have to agree with your statement here, but again, just my personal beliefs. To me, choosing to spend the rest of my life with someone happens before I get married (and it did/has). Call me a sucker, but promising my vows to someone and having a legal bond represents my forever commitment. I do agree with your notion of commitment though, and I do not believe that people HAVE to be married to have that level of commitment. Again, I know many people personally in my family who had that level of commitment. Their relationship was no less valid to me than anyone who was married. I'm a big proponent of marriage though with children, simply for the legal protections it affords a spouse and child in case of death/other emergency. I lost my stepmother to cancer YOUNG and my fathers legal rights greatly helped with the care of her children. Also, in the case of a deadbeat mom/dad, spousal support in the event that one parent took the brunt of responsibility while child rearing (a hit to income) will be easier to get if you are married.

It sounds to me like someone saying "Football symbolises the highest level of commitment to fitness" when in fact there are a multitude of ways to express a commitment to fitness. This is silly and not what I believe at all. The thread asked what other people should do, and I can't help but be a proponent

In other words - You are merely taking ONE possible expression of an ideal - and without any basis or reason declaring it to be the highest example of the form.

As I say if it is the highest expression of your commitment for YOU then that is great - you will get no argument or disparagement from me in any shape or form - just my praise and congratulation. But I repeat that the thread is not asking that. It is asking what OTHER people "should" do - and that sets off a different set of alarm bells in me.

What people "should" do when having children is ensure they can provide a stable loving home for it. Marriage is neither a pre-requisite nor a guarantee of any such thing. It is - in and of itself - superfluous to requirements - I absolutely agree with this. This goes without saying. I know many folks who do have kids (even divorced couples) who do their best to abide by this. This is also my priority. regardless of how precious it might be to your personally.
You echo a lot of my sentiments. I believe people should commit to forever before having children. The legal benefits of marriage and why people don't choose it if they are planning on "forever" anyway is beyond me. That, however, is a personal choice. I believe hinduism is a beautiful religion, even though I wouldn't choose it personally. I'm not saying NOT marrying is inherently bad, I'm just saying that you can't argue the statistics of children born to unwed parents. We could delve into why those stats are the way they are, but that's a separate discussion.

If it makes you feel better - I believe people should commit to their version of forever before babies. I believe it's silly on a personal level to not protect yourself legally as someone's spouse. Being married afforded my father many visitation rights and legal rights when my stepmother was on her death bed, which greatly lifted the burden off her children who were 14 an 16 at the time, who didn't have any legal rights to her well being. Being able to make decisions on behalf of your spouse and being legally protected in the case of a breakup/deadbeat to me is just as important as saying you'll be together forever. I hope that makes sense. I'm not so dense as to think some people can't be together forever without the marriage. I just think it's the responsible thing to do when kids are coming into the picture.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...its-30190.html

This website has just a few great reasons to be married. All of these indirectly will benefit the welfare of my future children. Honestly, if I didn't want kids, I'd probably not care about marriage THAT much more. I'd likely still choose it for myself, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting