Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:40 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpackman View Post
Tonight I found a scared, cold 13 year old boy walking down a dark country road. He had no coat. He said his mom made him get out of the car for 'mouthing off'. He was quiet and respectful and obviously shaken. I got him home safe which was a mile and a half down the road. My question: should i call the police, even if he didn't want me to?
I've been pondering this and thinking about the other responses.

The OP did help. She got the cold, scared teen home safely.

He was cold. He didn't have a jacket. How cold, I wonder. It it was in the 40's and he wasn't in danger of actually freezing, then maybe it's a lesson in proper dress for the weather. If it was below freezing, that's a different story.

The actual temperature out would probably determine if I called the police or not. If he wasn't truly in any danger, I wouldn't call. Heck, if it wasn't all that cold, I probably wouldn't even have stopped for a 13 year old. 9 year old? maybe.

I would NOT knock on the door and confront the mother. It really isn't any of the OP's business. If the child was really in danger, call the police and let them handle it. If he wasn't, then what's the point in talking to the mom? We're talking about a 13 year old, not a 5 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

He was cold. He didn't have a jacket. How cold, I wonder. It it was in the 40's and he wasn't in danger of actually freezing, then maybe it's a lesson in proper dress for the weather. If it was below freezing, that's a different story.

The actual temperature out would probably determine if I called the police or not. If he wasn't truly in any danger, I wouldn't call. Heck, if it wasn't all that cold, I probably wouldn't even have stopped for a 13 year old. 9 year old? maybe.

I would NOT knock on the door and confront the mother. It really isn't any of the OP's business. If the child was really in danger, call the police and let them handle it. If he wasn't, then what's the point in talking to the mom? We're talking about a 13 year old, not a 5 year old.
Yeah, and imagine if the Child was actually Bait set by a bunch of criminals whose greatest jolly was to implicate strangers in some sort of accusation of child stealing, then blackmail them or rob them?

Nope.

The kid was scared and cold, she used her judgement, but I would've called the cops then and there.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I can't remember the name of the child right now but there is a case very much like this only the child never made it home. She, I think she's a she, is listed as missing and the mom only has herself to blame. I hope this mother, and child, both realize how lucky it is you found him and not someone else.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Tonight I found a scared, cold 13 year old boy walking down a dark country road. He had no coat. He said his mom made him get out of the car for 'mouthing off'. He was quiet and respectful and obviously shaken. I got him home safe which was a mile and a half down the road. My question: should i call the police, even if he didn't want me to?
I would have taken him to the first police station I found and let them deal with it.

It isn't the fact that the child is 13 and probably old enough to walk home alone it is the fact that the Mother put him out of the vehicle in a time of anger that is concerning.
What else does she do at times of anger?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Since you seemed to miss it Katiana, here is the OP.

What part of NO COAT did you miss.

If you're going to comment on a thread, at least read what the OP writes.
I'm sure I'm the first person on CD to miss something like that! I did think I read the OP thoroughly, but I guess I didn't. What other mea culpas do you want me to make, seain?

OK, why didn't he have a coat? Probably b/c 13 yr old boys don't like to wear them, which is something I did say in my previous post.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:47 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would have taken him to the first police station I found and let them deal with it.

It isn't the fact that the child is 13 and probably old enough to walk home alone it is the fact that the Mother put him out of the vehicle in a time of anger that is concerning.
imagine if mom hadve changed her mind, doubled back only to see her precious getting in to a strange vehicle.

Good Lord.

No, I would've called the cops.

A Scared, cold, CHILD on a country road at night? NOPE.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
I would have called the police and let them handle it. His mother is an assclown.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:59 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
A mile and a half? Plenty of schools don't/won't provide bus service for students that live a mile or less from school, they are considered 'walkers'. I don't see an issue with a kid being told to walk home that distance, especially at that age. Unless he was in obvious danger because of the weather I'd just leave it alone.CPS can be inept, wouldn't be at all surprised for them remove to a child from a home while they investigated.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

I live in Southern CA, it was 43 degrees in my area last night and even colder in other parts of Southern CA, it doesn't have to be below 32 to count as freezing cold. If you put a kid out on the road here at those temps here with no coat, unless they were from Minnesota they would be freezing. I wouldn't want to be walking around in 40 degree temps with no coat.

It was very cold in most of the country, other than FL which had their lowest temps in the 50s and 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Exactly, and with no coat to boot. It's like when you see a parent act overly aggressive with a child in a store who acted out. What is going on at home if they're comfortable enough to do this in public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm sure I'm the first person on CD to miss something like that! I did think I read the OP thoroughly, but I guess I didn't. What other mea culpas do you want me to make, seain?

OK, why didn't he have a coat? Probably b/c 13 yr old boys don't like to wear them, which is something I did say in my previous post.
I can understand when a thread gets to be 20 pages missing stuff, you were the one who was so adamant that he had a coat. The OP made that very clear he didn't, which was the reason he started the thread.

Please don't do jury duty.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
^^The high in my city yesterday was 32 degrees. Yet, in the pediatric office where I work, a couple sick teen guys came in wearing shorts and sweat shirts, while their parents had on parkas. Teen boys don't like to wear coats.

I was hardly being adamant, and another poster added no hat, gloves or scarf, which was not stated. If the kid had no coat, he likely left home without wearing one.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-03-2015 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting